Your dream actress to play the next companion.

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I think is a good young actress and very unusual is Evanna Lynch, she has an interesting voice. She played Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    You've omitted the best male companion of the lot, Ian Chesterton.

I'd like to see three companions: two women and a man.

Three companions worked well for William Hartnell (Susan/Vicki, Barbara and Ian), for Peter Davison (Tegan, Nyssa and Adric/Turlough) and, of course, having three companions worked fabulously well recently for Matt Smith (River, Amy and Rory).

Agreed. It would be interesting if they all came from different backgrounds. Two of them could be from Earth; one from the present-day and one from a different era, and the other could be from an alien planet. This would potentially create a riveting sub-plot revolving around their relationships with each other.

Alternatively, as already mentioned by merlinsmum, it would also be interesting to have two companions who are father and daughter, or mother and son, or brother and sister, ad nauseum. Again the possible sub-plots that could come out of this are endless.

As for which actress I would like to see as a future companion, Lacey Turner gets my vote too.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three companions worked well for William Hartnell (Susan/Vicki, Barbara and Ian), for Peter Davison (Tegan, Nyssa and Adric/Turlough) and, of course, having three companions worked fabulously well recently for Matt Smith (River, Amy and Rory).

I think Three full time companions is too much, have a third companion turn up occasionally (River, Jack, Canton etc) but I think two full timers is enough.

What would be interesting is have the next companion be male and only have a second (female) companion turn up a few episodes later.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jemima Rooper... yes please :D
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alyssa Milano or Rose McGowan would be great! Unlikely though :(
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for which actress I would like to see as a future companion, Lacey Turner gets my vote too.

I think Lacey Turner has quite a good chance of being the next companion. Since she left EastEnders she hasn't been doing much so I hope she is!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Sorry - but NO to Lacey Turner!! She would just be "Stacey" from East Enders for god's sake! (Like she was in 'Being Human' :yawn:)
    I like the ideas of previous posters - and to have another male/female approach to it. The male companion being the strong/wimp...and the female being the glamorous strong/ femme fatale (delete as necessary!).
    I think someone like Matt Wolfenden(David from Emmerdale) as a guy from the present, and Julia Sawahla (sp?) as a companion from the victorian days would make it more interesting! They've NEVER combined companions from different times yet!
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Alyssa Milano or Rose McGowan would be great! Unlikely though :(

Sounds like a crossover.

If we're going to do a crossover let's have John Simm and Keeley Hawes. :p
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Sorry - but NO to Lacey Turner!! She would just be "Stacey" from East Enders for god's sake! (Like she was in 'Being Human' :yawn:)

Maybe. Perhaps they could introduce her as a one-off companion to see how it went. If she did well they could always bring her back full-time like they did with Catherine Tate, if she didn't do so well they could just leave it at that. No real harm done.

I chose her purely based on her time in EE but she would of course need to take on a completely different character in DW. I haven't her in anything else so I don't know what she's like in other roles.
    I like the ideas of previous posters - and to have another male/female approach to it. The male companion being the strong/wimp...and the female being the glamorous strong/ femme fatale (delete as necessary!).
    I think someone like Matt Wolfenden(David from Emmerdale) as a guy from the present, and Julia Sawahla (sp?) as a companion from the victorian days would make it more interesting! They've NEVER combined companions from different times yet!

Well we have had Jack alongside most of the Tenth Doctor's companions (Jack being from the 51st century, the rest from the 21st), but we need a similar line up on a "permanent" basis. I think somebody from the Victorian era would be perfect. :) Also, how about a companion from a foreign country? They don't all have to be from the UK.
    Sounds like a crossover.

If we're going to do a crossover let's have John Simm and Keeley Hawes. :p

If John Simm is The Master, would Keeley Hawes be The Rani? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isy Sutie
    Barbara Knox
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    suranne jones - perhaps
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Two female companions both sisters the older bossy sister played by Sarah Jayne Dunn and the younger rebellious sister played by Sacha Parkinson.

Later we find out that both the sisters have a fob watch each and when they are opened it turns out that the younger sister is Romana (who was President of the High Council of the Time Lords at the beginning of the Time War) and the older sister is Susan (The Doctors granddaughter) who was Romana’s aide. This leads to a role reversal with Romana being the bossy one and Susan being somewhat rebellious.

The story is that Romana was deposed by a coup led by the recently resurrected Rassilon and they both had to fob watch themselves to hide from the Time Lords.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    Personally I would like the next companion to be a man, preferably one that looks older than the Doctor. Nothing wrong with female companions of course, but it would be nice to see the Doctor having some good old male bonding again. Just think back to Jamie, Turlough, Adric ;) , Wilf and even Rory, all of them worked really well as companions in their own ways.

But I think it's significant that whenever there has been a male companion, it's been in combination with a female companion. There's never really been any period in the show's history when there's been solely a male companion for any length of time. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't be tried, but I think the previous producers were wise on this. I think it would lose a lot if there were to be no female in the TARDIS.

A male companion in combination with a female, yes, great. Rory has been a terrific companion, and I think he and Amy together have been better than she'd have been on her own - but the two of them together are also better than he'd have been on his own.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta say I hope they go for another (relative) unknown. Just prefer when we get someone with no famous roles behind them, it's more exciting to see what they do somehow. Certainly Karen has been a revelation (for me anyway, my opinion only etc etc) and it'd be nice to have Who be the springboard for a new wave of talent.

I think there's a lot to be said for an unknown. But if I was to pick someone well-known, I'd have to say, as I've said before on this kind of thread, Claire Foy. I think she'd be brilliant.
  • pongobillypongobilly Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    i have said it before and will say it again, lauren socha for the new companion roll, just have to prize her away from misfits
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda Raison :)
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    How about Jessica Brown-Findlay from "Downton Abbey", "Misfits", and "Black Mirror"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer one interesting companion and for that person to be an unknown/relative unknown as it is a good break for whoever is that lucky person!

But I could image the following making interesting companions:

Helena Bonham Carter (one of the baddies in Harry Potter)
    Rachel Weisz (in Constantine)
    Tilda Swinton (the angel in Constantine) - actually, I think she would make a brilliant Doctor herself!

Dominic Monaghan (Lost) or James Callis (BSG) could make potential interesting male companions too.

I am sure I would think of others if I pondered long enough...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a lot to be said for an unknown. But if I was to pick someone well-known, I'd have to say, as I've said before on this kind of thread, Claire Foy. I think she'd be brilliant.

I just had to Google who she is and I think you are right, she could make a good companion.
    Forum Member
    Buttons88 wrote: »
    I prefer one interesting companion and for that person to be an unknown/relative unknown as it is a good break for whoever is that lucky person!

But I could image the following making interesting companions:

Helena Bonham Carter (one of the baddies in Harry Potter)
    Rachel Weisz (in Constantine)
    Tilda Swinton (the angel in Constantine) - actually, I think she would make a brilliant Doctor herself!

Dominic Monaghan (Lost) or James Callis (BSG) could make potential interesting male companions too.

I am sure I would think of others if I pondered long enough...

I think they'd all be too expensive to take regular roles in
    DW. Of the regular companions, only Piper and Tate were
    well-known before they were cast in Nu-Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But maybe they will do it for the love of Nu-Who :D
    Forum Member
    Buttons88 wrote: »
    But maybe they will do it for the love of Nu-Who :D

Rachel Weisz is reportedly a DW fan, and still does UK TV
    (Page Eight) so I could see her guest-starring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel Weisz is reportedly a DW fan, and still does UK TV
    (Page Eight) so I could see her guest-starring.

I haven't seen Page Eight but if she is in this UK Show then I can't see why she couldn't be in nu Dr Who. Well, providing the filming of Page Eight doesn't coincide with nu Dr Who of course!

Hmm.. a potential maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I know she wouldn’t do it now, but I’ve always thought that Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan) would make an excellent companion, and she has a boyfriend, so she wouldn’t be a love interest for the Doctor.

Second choice is Jenny, the Doctor’s daughter (Georgia Moffett). We last saw her take off in a spaceship, so who’s to say that she couldn’t have run into dear old dad somewhere along the way and decided to visit for while? Stranger things have happened in the Whoniverse.

As for a sole male companion, I have to agree with someone who posted above me. We have certainly had some good male companions, but I’m not sure that there has ever been a time when it was just the Doctor and a male companion. Ian always had Barbara and another woman. With Stephen there was Vicki, Katarina, Sara Kingdom and Dodo. Then we had Ben and Polly, later joined by Jamie. I don’t know about anyone else, but the idea just doesn’t appeal to me.

In fact, with the Doctor getting younger with each new regeneration, I see no need for a male companion at all. In the days of Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee, the thought that the Doctor might need some help with the heavy lifting and fighting off the worst of the baddies was OK, but none of the recent Doctors have needed that kind of help. I have always believed that Rory’s only purpose on the show was to give Amy somewhere else to shower her affections. He was the proof that she was not another Rose or Martha. This Doctor has a body young enough to do the heavy lifting and the fighting, if need be, so why else would Rory be there? Now there are rumors that Daniel Radcliff may get the part in the proposed Doctor Who movie. To many of us, he is still the 17 year old Harry Potter. Please, God, save us from such a fate, or his 13th regeneration will have us watching a middle school boy wandering the universe in the TARDIS.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    You've omitted the best male companion of the lot, Ian Chesterton.

I'd like to see three companions: two women and a man.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that in the Peter Davison era. One had to go because they decided there were too many, and the actors themselves have said even in a four part story there isn't enough time for all the companions and The Doctor to have a lot to do. Watching Davison's first season again, I tend to agree with this.

I can't imagine how three companions and The Doctor could all have screen time with the new 45 minute format. At least one companion will end up absent for some reason. I'll admit it has worked with episodes including River, but she is only recurring.