Options

Resigned from new job

tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
Forum Member
6 weeks in ive resigned from my job and im now regretting doing so. I live away mon-fri in a a house share which i detest simply because id rather be at home with my family. The job wasnt as expected and i was basically thrown in at the deep end with no formal training given. Its quite a stressful position where you have to get it right or theres dire consequences.The company arent interested in rectifying any of the concerns i have raised and simply tell me to ring a number if i require help with something i dont understand(an outside body). Besides dealing with that my wife hates the fact im away and cries constantly , she only sees me on a Sunday due to the fact she works a Saturday. So in haste i quit. After a years unemployment before securing this job i now feel that ive made a mistake in resigning. My wifes unhappy, im unhappy and really dont know what to do for the best.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in my opinion you did the right thing.
    you only live once and there is no point wasting it in a job that basically ruins your home life.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I can give a lot of practical advice other than to say I'd probably have resigned myself in your situation. Years ago I moved to a horrid town that was the worst place I'd ever encountered to start a new job, I lived in a B&B whilst I was getting somewhere more permanent, I was upset a lot of the time and when I went to view a flat there it was a nasty little place which looked like it had been screwdrivered on the door to get in. The next day after that viewing I resigned from that job to move back.
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be better for you and your family to be happy rather than stick with the job. You will just have to look for something else in your area. I think its more important to be happy. So i think you did the right thing. You gave it a go and it just diddnt work out.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree you did the right thing, better to be poor and with your family than making lots of money and being unhappy IMO. Have you tried signing on with an agency?
  • Options
    Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the sound it you've done the right thing. Good luck i hope you find something soon
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I agree you did the right thing, better to be poor and with your family than making lots of money and being unhappy IMO. Have you tried signing on with an agency?

depends on how poor but sounds like OP can afford it.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    depends on how poor but sounds like OP can afford it.

Yeah actually, so poor you become homeless or your children are suffering is probably not ideal come to think of it, but as long you have a home and your kids have food in their bellies and family to love them then you should be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For one moment I thought this was going to be one of 5340Robert's threads with a title like that :):)
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    For one moment I thought this was going to be one of 5340Robert's threads with a title like that :):)

Snap! :D
    You did the right thing.Staying in a job you detest poisons your whole being eventually, and nothing is worth that.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can't follow retrospective advice, but I'd probably have stuck it out a little longr just so I could apply for more jobs and say I was currently in employment - always looks better. Maybe if you get another job you hate consider sticking for as long as it takes to get a few applications in first?

Also, trying not to be offensive here, but whilst your wife being upset is touching, is there some deeper insecurity that makes her so upset about you being away? I know I'd be really upset being away from my OH, but it upsetting you to the extent that you quit after six weeks seems kind of extreme.

I stuck out my first job for a year, living alone near work. It was fine at first because I got quite a lot of visiting done - I'd usually go ten weeks between being alone, what with visiting my parents, my OH and my friends, and them visiting me, and I had an aunt and an uncle nearby too. When I got ill with stress from work it became too much though, and I quit and had a new job in less than a month.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you did the right thing in resigning too.

Years ago I remember seeing a programme on African miners who had to live away from home for months at a time and send money home to their families. I remember thinking 'thank goodness our society is more caring'. Well no longer is it? Workers are treated like dirt. Time we got some strong unions back!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life's too short to be this unhappy and too short for regrets. You need to draw a line under it. You have resigned. What do you do next is the important thing now. Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you can't follow retrospective advice, but I'd probably have stuck it out a little longr just so I could apply for more jobs and say I was currently in employment - always looks better. Maybe if you get another job you hate consider sticking for as long as it takes to get a few applications in first?

Also, trying not to be offensive here, but whilst your wife being upset is touching, is there some deeper insecurity that makes her so upset about you being away? I know I'd be really upset being away from my OH, but it upsetting you to the extent that you quit after six weeks seems kind of extreme.

I stuck out my first job for a year, living alone near work. It was fine at first because I got quite a lot of visiting done - I'd usually go ten weeks between being alone, what with visiting my parents, my OH and my friends, and them visiting me, and I had an aunt and an uncle nearby too. When I got ill with stress from work it became too much though, and I quit and had a new job in less than a month.

I agree with this ^ You have been out of work a year and back in a job for only 6 weeks and I would certainly have recommended you stuck it out longer. Yes it stinks being away from home, wife and sprogs will miss you, but I imagine you were thrilled to get the post and to jettison it this quickly I consider a mistake. As a recruiter I can tell you people are more employable employed. Also you have made yourself deliberately unemployed so I imagine you won't get any benefits for a few months if you try and sign on again.

It's hellishly tough out here, sacrifices - some big ones - have to be made. I'm only sorry you didn't do an 'I hate my new job' thread when you first realised how unhappy you were and we could all have given you some support to get through it. I knew within 2 hrs of starting one role I took was a mistake, stuck it for 18 months and the experience I had there was actually priceless for my professional development.

Have a look at contract, interim and temporary work, but I 'm afraid 'overselling' roles to prospective candidates is very common and you show up to find the reality is not what you expected.

Good luck.
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I took jobs I hated just to get away from the job centre, one I somehow stayed in for a few years. As I had always had better jobs none of them did me any good afterwards. Doing a job you have to take that holds absolutely no interest saps your life, energy etc etc. I can't blame you for leaving, and I hope you don't have to wait before finding other work.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    Also you have made yourself deliberately unemployed so I imagine you won't get any benefits for a few months if you try and sign on again.
    For this reason alone, and especially considering the current climate and the OP's unemployment history, it would have been better to stay in the job until the OP had secured another.

OP, if you're planning on applying for jobseekers, you have to give the jobcentre your reasons for leaving and they have to conclude that you had "just cause" for doing so. If they don't believe there is just cause, you could be denied JSA for up to 26 weeks.