• Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    How many strikes did they do in 1980?
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course this episode was 70s sounding, the start of the 80s proper is 1981.

The episode got a bit weaker towards the end for me. Not OMD's best, sounds like a lesser version of Electricity, clear references to that in the music I thought. And Souvenir appears the following year, a bona fide classic. The Ruts didn't have the energy of The Cockney Rejects. And Boney M were the weakest disco orientated track in the program.

The Human League were without the girls at this point, they'd been transferred to Jona Lewie's band lol. I know, not the same people, but they somehow seemed a similar style for the band, girl next door types. It was nice hearing the Average White Band and the dance was ok, though the apparel was a bit distracting from the music. The Matchbox song wasn't special, though it had some energy to it at least.

I wonder how they actually plan the playlist, the big ballads (Jackson/Logan) were put at the start. Don't they eventually play songs more according to chart placing? For a chart program the charts actually don't actually play that big a role in the presentation apart from the very start (rundown) and the end (playing the number 1).
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lyrics to My Perfect Cousin mention the Human League. The Undertones way ahead of Peter Powell in predicting who will be big!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but TOTP 2 Cup Final Special is on BBC ONE at 1405 today, except for viewers in Scotland.

(Strange to see TOTP 2 on BBC ONE though!)
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but TOTP 2 Cup Final Special is on BBC ONE at 1405 today, except for viewers in Scotland.

(Strange to see TOTP 2 on BBC ONE though!)

It's all part of the build up for the final. The BBC have gone all out this season to bring back the magic of the cup right from the first round. Usually TV only gets interested when the third round comes up and the Premier League teams get involved. The fourth round was particularly good with some of the big clubs crashing out to lower league teams. Back to the good old pre-big money days.

An all Premiership final.

With a 5:30pm kick off.

For Saturday evening TV.

*swings wooden rattle*
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all part of the build up for the final. The BBC have gone all out this season to bring back the magic of the cup right from the first round. Usually TV only gets interested when the third round comes up and the Premier League teams get involved. The fourth round was particularly good with some of the big clubs crashing out to lower league teams. Back to the good old pre-big money days.

For Saturday evening TV.

*swings wooden rattle*
    ^_^ Zzzzz.

At my primary school in 1980 I always flatly refused to play any football in games lessons. I did athletics instead and gained a 4 Star certificate under the AAA's system. The best you could get was a 5 Star one. Anyone recall those or do them around the 1980 period? Also this very week in 1980 my primary opened its own outdoor swimming pool that all us children had raised money for, so that was my first proper swim lessons this month in 1980. But the summer of '80 ended up very cool and poor and it was often so chilly during June and July that we were simply not allowed out into the pool.

My brother was / is the complete opposite to me. A footy fanatic from a young age and on various school and youth teams locally, back in the summer of 1980 he went to the Bobby Moore Soccer School at the start of that years summer holidays and even met the England World Cup winning captain and had pictures with him and many top players of the time. He was younger than me but I had no idea who Bobby Moore was in 1980 aged 11 so wasn't overly impressed by it at the time.

Johnny Logan's No1 hit What's Another Year from this point in 1980 seems very hard to come by in the original recorded version of the time. Even his own compilations seem to have a re-recorded version and also so does the Now That's What I Call 1980 album which I think is very poor. The actual 1980 hit version is far superior to any of the re-records I've heard. It's not even available in original 1980 format via iTunes. Makes you wonder why this would be the case.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For Saturday evening TV.

*swings wooden rattle*

Have very high expectations for this game ( expect a 0 - 0 draw then ) I'm avoiding all the cheesey afternoon fillers in the build up.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    mb@2day wrote: »
    Have very high expectations for this game ( expect a 0 - 0 draw then ) I'm avoiding all the cheesey afternoon fillers in the build up.

I hope you didn't put a bet on.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this week's episode. In fact I'd go as far to say this was the best one of 1980 so far. Every song was a classic. Platinum Blonde by Prelude is one of those songs that you would never have heard ever again if it wasn't for these reruns. Fantastic song. And with the Human League and OMD, it's starting to feel very 80s but with a touch of 70s about it. Looking forward to the revamp in a few weeks.
  • Options
    sandalfsandalf Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I can't say I've ever heard Platinum Blonde by Prelude before but I really liked it. A well crafted narrative song, even though it ends with a murder. I've always loved their a capella version of After the Goldrush ever since I first heard it in 1982. The 1982 re-recorded version charted again - I wonder if we will hear it on TOTP?
    I only found out last year they also did the backing vocals for Ralph McTell's Streets of London
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    ^_^ Zzzzz.

At my primary school in 1980 I always flatly refused to play any football in games lessons. I did athletics instead and gained a 4 Star certificate under the AAA's system. The best you could get was a 5 Star one. Anyone recall those or do them around the 1980 period? Also this very week in 1980 my primary opened its own outdoor swimming pool that all us children had raised money for, so that was my first proper swim lessons this month in 1980. But the summer of '80 ended up very cool and poor and it was often so chilly during June and July that we were simply not allowed out into the pool.

My brother was / is the complete opposite to me. A footy fanatic from a young age and on various school and youth teams locally, back in the summer of 1980 he went to the Bobby Moore Soccer School at the start of that years summer holidays and even met the England World Cup winning captain and had pictures with him and many top players of the time. He was younger than me but I had no idea who Bobby Moore was in 1980 aged 11 so wasn't overly impressed by it at the time.

Johnny Logan's No1 hit What's Another Year from this point in 1980 seems very hard to come by in the original recorded version of the time. Even his own compilations seem to have a re-recorded version and also so does the Now That's What I Call 1980 album which I think is very poor. The actual 1980 hit version is far superior to any of the re-records I've heard. It's not even available in original 1980 format via iTunes. Makes you wonder why this would be the case.

Its a real pet hate of mine artists doing this. The re-recorded versions are pretty much always inferior to the originals. I've been caught out on a few occasions buying what I thought was a group or artists 'greatest hits', and ended up with some sub standard re-recorded dross. Dollar spring to mind. :blush::D Its quite hard to find a 'hits' compilation of theirs with the original versions of their songs but quite easy to pick up a rubbish re-recorded versions disc with Van Day singing (badly) and omitting Theresa Bazaar's vocals. I suspect its a copyright thing that necessitates them doing this and trying to maximise their personal profit from it. All very tedious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Its a real pet hate of mine artists doing this. The re-recorded versions are pretty much always inferior to the originals. I've been caught out on a few occasions buying what I thought was a group or artists 'greatest hits', and ended up with some sub standard re-recorded dross. Dollar spring to mind. :blush::D Its quite hard to find a 'hits' compilation of theirs with the original versions of their songs but quite easy to pick up a rubbish re-recorded versions disc with Van Day singing (badly) and omitting Theresa Bazaar's vocals. I suspect its a copyright thing that necessitates them doing this and trying to maximise their personal profit from it. All very tedious.

Tring anyone? They're notorious for the rerecorded stuff!

On the subject of Johnny Logan, which is the proper version, as I'm pretty sure I've got 2 versions on my hard drive somewhere?

(Same thing happened with Chris Rea's 'Fool If You Think It's Over' a couple of years back!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes Torch, I bought a Dollar hits CD about 15 years ago which really disappointed me with re-recordings on it despite no obvious alluding to it on the sleeve notes. On top of that the album had some of their best known hits missing from 1981/82. Then when I got onto iTunes in 2009 within the week I had downloaded a horrible re-record of Give Me Back My Heart by accident and had to download the correct version again. Those who love Dollar will know full well how important it is to get the right version of a superior track like Give Me Back My Heart. Nothing but the original could possibly do, as in most cases.

I also accidentally downloaded the wrong version and a recent re-record of Amii Stewart's Friends a while back before noticing and getting the right one. Even knowing the singles very well does not make you infallible at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes Torch, I bought a Dollar hits CD about 15 years ago which really disappointed me with re-recordings on it despite no obvious alluding to it on the sleeve notes. On top of that the album had some of their best known hits missing from 1981/82. Then when I got onto iTunes in 2009 within the week I had downloaded a horrible re-record of Give Me Back My Heart by accident and had to download the correct version again. Those who love Dollar will know full well how important it is to get the right version of a superior track like Give Me Back My Heart. Nothing but the original could possibly do, as in most cases.

I also accidentally downloaded the wrong version and a recent re-record of Amii Stewart's Friends a couple of years ago before noticing and getting the right one. Even knowing the singles very well does not make you infallible at times.

Cant comment on Amii Stewart, but I've always found Dollar a bit vomit inducing personally & Van Day came over as a **** on that Bucks Fizz doc.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    No, there was no reference made to Gary Glitter in the original broadcast, judging by my UK Gold version of the episode. Yes, the group Prelude are the same group that had the hit with Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" from 1974. I don't mind the Prelude track, although it doesn't necessarily leave a very strong impression with me, and certainly by the 1981-82 era, there were few groups around that seemed so lacking in being conscious of image.

It seems strange when you do come across the odd more mediocre track like Boney M, because in recent weeks there have been few songs that have failed to impress, as the standard has been so high. In a sense, i believe we have been at a peak period for a while now, which won't be maintained indefinitely (there are possibly a few more odd uninspiring tracks than what we've grown accustomed to of late), although the charts generally will continue to be impressive when the show returns in August. Although two tone would go on a little longer, i don't think it was quite so intensive in the latter half of 1980, and i'd say the mod revival has already peaked too. Disco though, does enjoy its final days of being truly in the limelight in the coming months. 1981 would see its profile beginning to diminish.

I also recall watching this very show back in 1980, and Peter Powell's high praise for the quality of Michael Jackson's singing did leave a strong impression with me. Up until then, of course, Michael had been a huge name alongside his brothers, but not at all on the level that he would later achieve through the eighties. Peter Powell pretty much was forecasting the success to come for Michael, even if i believe his most impressive singing had already been achieved by the time of the release of 'Off The Wall'. I still think that the re-released no 1 hit "One Day In Your Life" originally from 1975, in a way is more impressive than anything Michael did post 'Off The Wall' (although maybe not in a more contemporary sense), although with his huge success in the eighties, his groundbreaking video promos contributed a huge part.

1980, though, has been endlessly enjoyable, and Adam And The Ants are just around the corner.

BIB - Totally agree with this. I'd award another vote for One Day in Your Life being MJ's best single although my favourite track would be Get on the Floor from Off the Wall, ironically the B-side of She's out of my life.
  • Options
    creasecrease Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Someone else agrees at last! ;-)

I like the Human League as much as I detest that Timelords track. Listening to them do the Glitter song on TOTP on Thursday all I could hear were the awful Timelords coming at me instead, even Phil Oakey's features could not erase that thought.

I've read this post several times, and it literally makes no sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Yes, the one track I'd completely forgot about but am enjoying immensely is The Dooleys "Love Patrol" which i have surprised myself about! I like The Chords "Maybe Tomorrow" and those two New Music songs. Not that i had forgotten "Living By Numbers" exactly, but i never fully appreciated it at the time!

BIB . Agree again Jedikiah. I've always tried to stand up for the Dooleys on this thread ( well, someone has to) and my favourite track is definitely Love Patrol. Wanted wouldn't even get into my Dooleys top 5.

Whilst I'm in a controversial frame of mind, I'm going to stick up for Matchbox's Midnight Dynamos. I bought it on vinyl, I loved it and I still do. It's just a good, upbeat, fun record. Definitely their best single.

And ... I despise My Perfect Cousin!! Particularly hate the lyrics and Sharkey's vocals. However... Here comes the summer is a top tune.

And ... The Average White Band's Let's go round again is a timeless classic. This was when dance music really started picking up in 1980. If you don't like disco you'd better take cover as Teena, Change, Jermaine, Crown HA, Lipps INC, Tom Browne, Jacksons, Linx, Roberta, Stacey and Odyssey are on the starting grid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant comment on Amii Stewart, but I've always found Dollar a bit vomit inducing personally & Van Day came over as a **** on that Bucks Fizz doc.
    Of course he did but it doesn't detract from the music. I could not work out why he was hanging around as a member of Bucks Fizz when he had his own perfectly good catalogue of hit singles himself to tour with. A bit like Paul McCartney suddenly deciding to tour as a Rolling Stone!

Here is the original recorded version of Johnny Logan's What's Another Year, only been able to find it on You Tube would you believe;

https://youtu.be/GtvPkCT9eNM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, and image wise I didn't much care for them the moment I first saw them, but they did make some great pop records.
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    BIB - Totally agree with this. I'd award another vote for One Day in Your Life being MJ's best single although my favourite track would be Get on the Floor from Off the Wall, ironically the B-side of She's out of my life.

I'll give another big nod of appreciation for that song from this direction. I think that's a brilliant track and have just realised I don't have that on the ipod, something I'll remedy. Another one of his best tracks for me would actually be 'Man In The Mirror' but for the "ohh", "ahh" intonations at the end of practically every line which render it totally irritating and pretty much unlistenable to me these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Human League as much as I detest that Timelords track. Listening to them do the Glitter song on TOTP on Thursday all I could hear were the awful Timelords coming at me instead, even Phil Oakey's features could not erase that thought.

Quote crease;
    I've read this post several times, and it literally makes no sense
    Keep re-reading it and I'm sure it will make perfect sense. It does to me!

I presume the highlighted bit is what you meant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^_^ Zzzzz.

Crikey Rich Tea!! How bolshie were you as an 11 year old? If I'd refused to do as I was told at that age , football or otherwise, I'd have had my hands warmed. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB . Agree again Jedikiah. I've always tried to stand up for the Dooleys on this thread ( well, someone has to) and my favourite track is definitely Love Patrol. Wanted wouldn't even get into my Dooleys top 5.

Whilst I'm in a controversial frame of mind, I'm going to stick up for Matchbox's Midnight Dynamos. I bought it on vinyl, I loved it and I still do. It's just a good, upbeat, fun record. Definitely their best single.

And ... I despise My Perfect Cousin!! Particularly hate the lyrics and Sharkey's vocals. However... Here comes the summer is a top tune.

And ... The Average White Band's Let's go round again is a timeless classic. This was when dance music really started picking up in 1980. If you don't like disco you'd better take cover as Teena, Change, Jermaine, Crown HA, Lipps INC, Tom Browne, Jacksons, Linx, Roberta, Stacey and Odyssey are on the starting grid.

:o 'Wanted' was their best song, well for me anyway, but of course we all like different things! :) What songs would you rate above it? Asking, as genuinely curious and will probably check them out as at this point I'm under the impression that they only ever had 2, maybe 3 songs worth owning.

You despise 'My Perfect Cousin'! :o What about 'Wednesday Week'? That was a cracking song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey Rich Tea!! How bolshie were you as an 11 year old? If I'd refused to do as I was told at that age , football or otherwise, I'd have had my hands warmed. :D
    I had a very easily manipulated and somewhat soft pushover of a female primary teacher in my school year 1979/1980. She didn't seem to garner much respect! I was never bolshie but simply used my pleading charm. ;-)

Nice to have you back Ramraider - see I'm using it on you now. :D

I fully agree that we have now got to the point in 1980 where the great dance / disco singles all start kicking in again to the quality of 1979, such as with Let's Go Round Again. We are going to miss some good tracks during the 2 month summer blackout.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I did say it was energetic, and didn't put it among the worst songs of the episode.

The puzzle for me is the love for the OMD track.

Relating to recent posts...my favourite Dooley's song has always been Love of My Life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o 'Wanted' was their best song, well for me anyway, but of course we all like different things! :) What songs would you rate above it? Asking, as genuinely curious and will probably check them out as at this point I'm under the impression that they only ever had 2, maybe 3 songs worth owning.

Your despise 'My Perfect Cousin'! :o What about 'Wednesday Week'?

I actually think Torch that 75% of posters on here would nominate Wanted as their favourite Dooleys song ( some might need some 'gentle persuasion' to make any nomination,though!) . Here goes ... just to show that I meant what I said about my top 5 Dooleys.

1.Love Patrol 2. The Chosen few 3.Love of my life 4.Don't take it lying down
    5.Think I'm gonna fall in love with you . I doubt you'll like these tracks. They've all been on the Pops before. All 5 are on my pod that's how I knew Wanted would not be in my top 5 as it does not appear on the pod.

And Wednesday week is a fine song. It's my second favourite after the aforementioned Here Comes the Summer. :)
This discussion has been closed.