White stuff inside of lips in morning

leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know what it is that causes that white stretchy stuff just inside the lips? I often get it not long after brushing my teeth and risnsing my mouth out. I find it more obvious/likely to occur if I then put lip balm on. You can get rid of it my pulling it off and/or running finger along lip.

I've noticed other people get it too. Its only recently started happening on a regular basis and it is really annoying me as I'm paranoid about opening my mouth and talking before checking its not there!

Any ideas what it is and how to stop it?!?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what it is that causes that white stretchy stuff just inside the lips? I often get it not long after brushing my teeth and risnsing my mouth out. I find it more obvious/likely to occur if I then put lip balm on. You can get rid of it my pulling it off and/or running finger along lip.

I've noticed other people get it too. Its only recently started happening on a regular basis and it is really annoying me as I'm paranoid about opening my mouth and talking before checking its not there!

Any ideas what it is and how to stop it?!?

Are you sure it's after you brushed your teeth or is that when you notice it? I found this on two different websites.

Try brushing your teeth before you go to bed or swishing your mouth out with water before you go to bed. You can also go to any store and buy Aquaphor or vasaline and put it on your lips before you go to sleep. It is just yuck from saliva no biggie. I don't see any reason to worry. For me chapsticks make my lips chapped. I like vasaline or Aquaphor.

If not do you have a sore throat/sore in your mouth?

This morning I woke up and I had all this white stuff on the inside of my lips. After cleaning it, I noticed a sore and also have a sore throat. I had sex yesterday & am concerned this might be an std.

Your symptoms indicate oral thrush, which is a yeast infection of the mouth. It usually occurs during times of decreased immunity or when a person is taking antibiotics. Oral sex can also transmit the yeast, but many times it is normally present on the skin. You should see a physician to confirm the diagnosis. Initial treatment involves salt water rinses and eating yogurt or probiotics containing Lactobacillus.

Now you are over the shock pay attention to the bit I put in bold about the cause being from antibiotics. if you are on those, have been recently or are generally run down it could be from that.

Many many years ago I woke up covered in scabs I went to the GP like you would. Before I had even sat down he asked how long have I had shingles. He gave me some stuff for it and a sick note for work. I go into work to give it in not having read it. I wish i had because he wrote what shingles is under it's other name. Herpes Zoster. Oh fabulous! Me having herpes went around where I worked quicker than the clap in a Thailand brothel. :(:mad::p
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like oral thrush to me. Go and see the pharmacist at the local chemist and ask their advice. It is easily treated with over the counter drops/pastilles/gel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe it's an allergic reaction to the lip balm. Try skipping it for a while and see if it goes.
  • Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. My dentist used to tell me it was from smoking. I have been smoke free for 8 months and still get it. I think it comes from not rinsing your mouth thouroghly enough after brushing. I find if I have a good old gargle and swish with water like it's mouth wash then I don't get it half as much, if at all sometimes. :)
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White stuff inside of lips in morning...

I was going to say something, but then changed my mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me and my friends use a lot of vaseline on our lips for some reason, its become a habit, the one of us that uses it most gets white marks the most. Its probably the lip balm.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not lib balm or smoking or an std or thrush

it's totally normal - a bit like the discharge women get down below - mucus, nothing fancy or abnormal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get some white gunky stuff if I've got a blocked nose and have to sleep with my mouth open to breathe.
  • cosmicsoupcosmicsoup Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    It could be caused by your mouth wash. I used to use Listerine total care, and it caused this.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    it's not lib balm or smoking or an std or thrush

it's totally normal - a bit like the discharge women get down below - mucus, nothing fancy or abnormal

I agree with The Judge.

It just gets horrible and stringy due to being trapped in the mouth all night.
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with The Judge.

It just gets horrible and stringy due to being trapped in the mouth all night.
    That makes sense. Ew though, sounds horrible when you read it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    It's a side effect of the mouthwash. It irriates the very top layer inside of your cheek and it lifts off, kind of like shedding dead skin. It used to happen to me, more often when I used Corsodyl. I then tried other washes that weren't as strong and it only happens occaisionally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Sorry, can't help with the problem, but washing your mouth out after brushing your teeth undoes all the work! No point in using toothpaste if you wash it out again.
  • StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    kaetia wrote: »
    No point in using toothpaste if you wash it out again.

That's mostly incorrect. The primary purpose of toothpaste is to serve as an abrasive paste to more readily enable your toothbrushing action to detach plaque from your teeth.

That said, I find the residual anti-bacterial effect of Colgate Total excellent; to that end, after thorough rinsing at the end of brushing, I place a dab of my clean wonder-paste in my mouth for the sake of its overnight protection.

Regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I looked this up in the past when it happened to me a LOT (was more the inside of my cheeks though).

My research said it was from the use of whitening toothpaste or strong mouthwash etc. I changed my toothpaste and it went away immediately.