Options

Do you/would you wear fur?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
Forum Member
We've been having a debate today on fur and leather, so I figured I'd ask the question here..

Do you wear fur?

Would you wear fur?

Why is socially acceptable to wear leather, but not fur?

I DO have rabbit fur boots, but ensured they were ethically sourced (I can trace them back to the rabbits if needed). I cannot approve of fur that is produced as a result of animal cruelty (seal clubbing, mink trapping etc). My pov is that if the animal is going to be eaten anyway, why not use as much of it up as possible.

Comments

• Options
    Siu Nim TaoSiu Nim Tao Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I eat meat, so i would wear fur if I found a nice jacket

I dont discriminate when it comes to animals
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Never ever ever ever EVER.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Never ever ever ever EVER.

why MJ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I would wear fur as long as it was vintage.
    I dont see the issue over using something that was created before attitudes changed.
    I wouldnt approve of wearing fur that was farmed after it came to be considered wrong however.
    It is essentially the same as buying an antique made of ivory and displaying it on your shelf.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Fur feels cuddly. I wear leather too. However putting them together is tacky and should be banned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    why MJ?

Well, I'm a vegetarian, so it would be a bit nonsensical if I were to wear a fur/leather jacket/boots, but not eat meat. I just don't believe it's right to kill animals for our own pleasure. But I don't have a problem with people who eat meat, or wear leather or fur. It's too big an argument to ever try and win.
  • Options
    SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've been having a debate today on fur and leather, so I figured I'd ask the question here..

Do you wear fur?

No.
    Would you wear fur?

Perhaps if, as you say, the animal is eaten anyway.
    Why is socially acceptable to wear leather, but not fur?

Because leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, whereas most fur comes from animals which are not eaten, but kept specifically for their fur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Well, I'm a vegetarian, so it would be a bit nonsensical if I were to wear a fur/leather jacket/boots, but not eat meat. I just don't believe it's right to kill animals for our own pleasure. But I don't have a problem with people who eat meat, or wear leather or fur. It's too big an argument to ever try and win.

fair enough, just wondered why!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if the animal has died of old age and lived a long and happy life.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soyokaze wrote: »
    Because leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, whereas most fur comes from animals which are not eaten, but kept specifically for their fur.

Rabbits? Coney fur is the cheapest and most widely available.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as the animal is not endangered, a protected species and the fur was not obtained illegally I don't have a problem with anyone wearing fur.
  • Options
    Bad JujuBad Juju Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I don't think wearing a dead animal is particularly attractive. I can understand nomads and hunter gatherers wearing animal pelts, otherwise no. Animal skins look much better on the animal. Things like ocelot, Arctic fox and seal fur, utterly repulsive practice IMO.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear leather but wouldn't wear fur for the following reaons:

1.Leather is a by product, fur often involves cruelty to animals
    2. It looks tacky
    3.I couldn't afford it
  • Options
    Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it would suit me. I have no problem killing animals for food or fashion, unless said animals are endangered, because I wouldn't want us to lose some of the beautiful animals we have in this world.

Each to their own.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt wear or purchase fur. I will quite happily purchase leather products like sofas, shoes, wallets, car seats etc.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    If I was forced to hunt animals for food to survive, and had no clothes I probably would, other than that I dont see the point really.
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No! Absolutely not!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wore a hood with real fur for my university graduation :o i should have gone for the fake fur
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    If I was forced to hunt animals for food to survive, and had no clothes I probably would, other than that I dont see the point really.

ah thats because you've not worn my boots! they kept my toes nice and toasty during all that snow last year!!
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »

The first clothes worn by prehistoric man were animal skins... Probably woolly mammoth :)
  • Options
    Siu Nim TaoSiu Nim Tao Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a nice fur rug in front of the fire, that could be nice
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that bazzar1 should mention fur, today of all days.

I was up in the attic this morning looking for some decorating tools and there hanging all wrapped, up is a real Mink fur coat, that my great Auntie left to me in her will.

I'ts a beautiful coat, I wouldn't wear it but I can't throw it away either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Funny that bazzar1 should mention fur, today of all days.

I was up in the attic this morning looking for some decorating tools and there hanging all wrapped, up is a real Mink fur coat, that my great Auntie left to me in her will.

I'ts a beautiful coat, I wouldn't wear it but I can't throw it away either.

ooh yeah my mum has an 1920's one from Harrods that some aunt left her, she tried to sell a few years ago but it was during the whole 'anti-fur' stage where people where camping outside J-Lo's house and throwing paint at her etc....so nobody wanted it.. might try and flog it again..
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't wear fur by choice.
    Too much of a fashion statement and all a bit "P-Diddy" for a guy IMO.

If I was working somewhere cold and I was offered a fur-lined coat or something to keep warm I wouldn't refuse to wear it on ethical grounds though.

So, basically, nothing against the use of fur for practical applications but not nice for fashion.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh yeah my mum has an 1920's one from Harrods that some aunt left her, she tried to sell a few years ago but it was during the whole 'anti-fur' stage where people where camping outside J-Lo's house and throwing paint at her etc....so nobody wanted it.. might try and flog it again..

I was told that some theatre companys or even the BBC wardrobe people might be glad of it, for their plays involving the 1930's and 40's.

Still can't part with it, I'm keeping it for sentimental value.