Options

Portia DeGeneres 'refuses interviews with men'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
What did you make of this story?

I'm not sure if she's "uncomfortable with men" as suggested by Koch, or maybe trying to empower women by giving them more work... somehow? *boggle*

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a288703/degeneres-refuses-interviews-with-men.html

Comments

• Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the carefully omitted fact in that article is that in the interview she was discussing the intimate details of her struggles with anorexia/eating disorders, and therefore it's fairly reasonable that she'd feel more comfortable discussing these things with a woman.

I can't imagine why DS would leave out that trifling little detail. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    I'd say the carefully omitted fact in that article is that in the interview she was discussing the intimate details of her struggles with anorexia/eating disorders, and therefore it's fairly reasonable that she'd feel more comfortable discussing these things with a woman.

In that case, I would say it's like wanting a female therapist or doctor, and quite sensible. Not that she's a raging man hating feminist lesbian, as was my first thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    In that case, I would say it's like wanting a female therapist or doctor, and quite sensible. Not that she's a raging man hating feminist lesbian, as was my first thought.

Well, who can blame you for thinking that - it's clearly what the article was hoping to imply for some reason.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true, it's very unwise of Portia to take this stance. She relies on interviews to publicise her acting projects. She could find it a struggle to get interviews in future, which could impact on her acting career.

Methinks she needs a reality check!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    If this is true, it's very unwise of Portia to take this stance. She relies on interviews to publicise her acting projects. She could find it a struggle to get interviews in future, which could impact on her acting career.

Methinks she needs a reality check!:rolleyes:

Methinks people who are trying to bring light to eating disorders through the difficult process of opening up about their own difficult experiences shouldn't be chastised because they're more comfortable doing so with a female interviewer.

But hey, let's all bring the celeb down a peg or two for trying to do something helpful and humane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anorexia - the women's illness that men can't possibly understand and never suffer from!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anorexia - the women's illness that men can't possibly understand and never suffer from!:rolleyes:

You're right of course. They should have forced her to discuss her health issues in a situation that made her uncomfortable, rather than accommodating her hugely unreasonable request of getting a woman to interview her. What a stuck-up diva! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Methinks people who are trying to bring light to eating disorders through the difficult process of opening up about their own difficult experiences shouldn't be chastised because they're more comfortable doing so with a female interviewer.

But hey, let's all bring the celeb down a peg or two for trying to do something helpful and humane.

To be honest, it's not being helpful to insist on a female interviewer. Anorexia is an illness which affects both sexes and should be openly discussed by both sexes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, it's not being helpful to insist on a female interviewer. Anorexia is an illness which affects both sexes and should be openly discussed by both sexes.

I think people have the right to choose who they are comfortable discussing their personal health problems and harrowing life experiences with. The show had the right to refuse Portia's request. They didn't, they accommodated it and then went to the press to chastise her about it after the fact. If anyone should be berated, its the program makers for their unprofessional backstabbing.

The article avoids all mention of the subject of her discussion and is obviously trying to paint her as some man-hating militant lesbian. Does anyone really find it inconceivable or so very unreasonable that a woman may feel more comfortable discussing her anorexia with another woman? As a man, I don't.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats all well and good pointing out the obvious, however its simple fact that more women suffer from it than men do. Id love to see how many men you think suffer from it within the entertainment industry compared to women. Give us a chuckle!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hrm, I didn't realise that was the subject of the interview.
    ohirome wrote: »
    Thats all well and good pointing out the obvious, however its simple fact that more women suffer from it than men do. Id love to see how many men you think suffer from it within the entertainment industry compared to women. Give us a chuckle!
    It's not a competition... we should probably avoid trivialising it with numbers when the reality of it is that it can affect anybody.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nascent wrote: »
    Hrm, I didn't realise that was the subject of the interview.It's not a competition... we should probably avoid trivialising it with numbers when the reality of it is that it can affect anybody.

Of course its not a competition but its clear and obvious WHY she would prefer to discuss this with a woman. If anything, its insulting for people to point out the obvious that men suffer from it too. Its irrelevent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rather.

I wonder then why Koch felt his comments were necessary. Koch by name, Koch by nature? :p
  • Options
    goonerladygoonerlady Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought someone said that it was only in Australia that she did not want to be interviewed by men and that in the US she has been interviewed by men though I can't remember where I heard it?
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    well said. I detect your sarcasm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Obviously it affects men, but it's still her problem and maybe that's who she's comfortable discussing it with. She doesn't have to talk about it at all.

Frankly I think attractive celebs talking about anorexia is sending a bad enough message as it is. But obviously it's an issue that needs to be talked about... currently there's no male celebs I know of talking about it.

It's the same as rape or sexual abuse, happens to men too... none of them are as likely to talk about it.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member

More woman are diagnosed with it, a lot of men suffer the same symptoms but are diagnosed with depression "with associated appetite changes".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More woman are diagnosed with it, a lot of men suffer the same symptoms but are diagnosed with depression "with associated appetite changes".

Your point? We all know this, thats not the point. The point is that she wanted to discuss it with a female interviewer because she felt more comfortable. Its clearly going to be something a woman can relate to more than a man, especially in the entertainment industry. Pointing out that men suffer from it too is irrelevent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly I think attractive celebs talking about anorexia is sending a bad enough message as it is.

Why's that? And I doubt many people found her attractive 10 years ago when she weighed 82 pounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why's that?

I just think it can inadvertently glamorise it... I thought that was obvious from what I said.

Anorexia nervosa occurs in the ratio of 1:1.5 in males:females
    I would also think it's more common among men in the entertainment industry especially because of the body issues they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it can inadvertently glamorise it... I thought that was obvious from what I said.

Anorexia nervosa occurs in the ratio of 1:1.5 in males:females
    I would also think it's more common among men in the entertainment industry especially because of the body issues they have.

And where do you figure that? Youre seriously telling me you think more men have this problem that women in the entertainment industry? Right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And where do you figure that? Youre seriously telling me you think more men have this problem that women in the entertainment industry? Right.

no I didn't say more than women, I said more in the entertainment industry generally.

Probably the ratio would be different in the entertainment industry however, given the ratio of men to women and other factors.
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    I wonder what Kym Marsh thinks of this. I am sure we will hear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no I didn't say more than women, I said more in the entertainment industry generally.

Probably the ratio would be different in the entertainment industry however, given the ratio of men to women and other factors.

Sorry but no. I cant even think of one man in the industry who has had public issues with anorexia. Sure we can ASSUME that some may have but that doesnt really mean anything. Working from fact, its obvious that its a primarily female issue in that industry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but no. I cant even think of one man in the industry who has had public issues with anorexia. Sure we can ASSUME that some may have but that doesnt really mean anything. Working from fact, its obvious that its a primarily female issue in that industry.

I can think of one or two actually. John Lennon was one. A quick Google tells me Billy Bob Thornton, Dennis Quaid and a lot more with other eating disorders.
    Plus there's the fact they are less likely to talk about it as it is seen as a female issue.

You aren't working from fact btw... but like I say (and you seem to not get) it's still going to be mainly women, just probably higher in ratio for the men given the increased risk factors than in standard society.
    I mean women always have a pressure to be thin, regardless... men mainly much more in the public eye than in normal life, to name one.