SPOTY 2013. Who'll win it?

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
Andy Murray may be the favourite but Chris Froome may have a chance after his recent Tour de France win and there is also the World Athletics championship coming up too.

Comments

• BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mate, no debate, Murray will win and it won't be close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray. I don't see how anyone can beat him.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray without any shadow of a doubt.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    are we to take this question seriously?

they may as well give the award to Andy now
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you're not being serious?

Most obvious winner ever
  • Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Andy's Award! even more if he can win the US open again befor SPOTY
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously will be Andy Murray, no doubt about it.

Discussion of who comes second and third might lead to more suggestions!

If any of England's cricketers do something amazing in The Ashes, they could figure in the top three.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Andy will win, no doubt about it.
    Olympic Champion, US Open champion and now first male champion at Wimbledon for 76 years :)
    And he's shown he does have a personality ;)
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Why on earth is there a thread on this?

OP you can't be serious?
  • DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SPOTY - 1st - Murray, 2nd Justin Rose, 3rd Froome
    Team - Probably England cricket, maybe Lions
    Coach - Brailsford or Gatland
    Overseas - Bolt
    Forum Member
    Davser wrote: »
    SPOTY - 1st - Murray, 2nd Justin Rose, 3rd Froome
    Team - Probably England cricket, maybe Lions
    Coach - Brailsford or Gatland
    Overseas - Bolt

Team will definitely be England Cricket. Does coach have to be British themselves? If so rules out Gatland

Messi should really get overseas IMO, probably won't though..
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Team will definitely be England Cricket. Does coach have to be British themselves? If so rules out Gatland

Messi should really get overseas IMO, probably won't though..

don't think so, Duncan Fletcher has won in the past
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going for Phil Mickelson as Overseas winner.

Runner up in the US Open, Open Championship winner, Scottish Open winner and back up to World number 2 at the moment.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For coach, would Sir Alex Ferguson figure, given he retired on a high. I know he has won it before, but Brailsford has also won it multiple times.- I cannot see him winning it this year as he won it last year. Ferguson already has a lifetime achievement award so cannot see him getting another, but I cannot believe the BBC will not mark his retirement without some kind of gong, unless they still bear a grudge with the feud they had.

Overseas - the BBC have a fixation with tennis and Athletics when it comes to this award. If Murray is almost certain to win the overall award, then they will find some Athlete to award it to. I note also the BBC have stripped Lance Armstrong of his awards.

Team - possibly the Sky Cycling Team, but will the BBC award one of their main gongs to a team sponsored by their hated rivals?
    Forum Member
    I'm going for Phil Mickelson as Overseas winner.

Runner up in the US Open, Open Championship winner, Scottish Open winner and back up to World number 2 at the moment.

Very good shout actually!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In any other Ashes series, if England won, i would give them team of the year, but this Ashes so far, has been a bit of a cake walk,
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dead cert that is a Murray win excepted, it should be Froome in second and Rose third at the moment, although someone like Root/Cook/Farah/Ennis or any possible Brit winner of the USPGA could get a look in to the top three depending on how they go. As for the rest of the other potential nominees, I'd expect Jimmy Anderson to get a nomination along with maybe Halfpenny and North from the Lions and Carl Froch, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Laura Robson get nominated, if purely to avoid the sexism allegations that came up a couple of years ago (that probably depends on how well Ennis goes in the world championships though).

Team's clearly between the Ashes side and the Lions, although I'd give it to the Lions given how long it is since they've won a series and their Aussie opposition is just a tad stronger than the shambles that's masquerading as a cricket team at the moment. Same with the coach which should be Warren Gatland.

The lifetime achievement award will go to Fergie again. I know he's won it before, but that was over a decade ago and there aren't many other obvious choices this year. Overseas is a tricky one though, providing he wins at the world championships Bolt will be favourite yet again, although I agree with the earlier post that Mickelson should be considered, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel get it if he makes it four F1 titles in a row this year (also I'd personally be against it given how much his car has helped him along the way).
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont cricketers get nominated for the vote purely becaue cricket is no longer free to watch.

Take Jimmy Anderson for example, he has been playing consitantly for years, and improving, and is 3rd all time Englands test wicket taker, but he doesnt ever get a mention.

He could end up being close to being the 1st all time by december, yet the guy doesnt get a mention
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    Well it is up to those who vote for the nominations..

Will they have ones from magazines like Heat etc rather than just the sporting press?

Think the England cricketers will have to be Team of the Year but maybe Warren Gatland might get coach for the British and Irish Lions success?
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long shot here, but I think it'll be Andy Murray :D
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont cricketers get nominated for the vote purely becaue cricket is no longer free to watch.

Take Jimmy Anderson for example, he has been playing consitantly for years, and improving, and is 3rd all time Englands test wicket taker, but he doesnt ever get a mention.

He could end up being close to being the 1st all time by december, yet the guy doesnt get a mention

The nominations are nothing to do with the public, they are chosen by sports journalists so it is irrelevant as to which channel they are seen on. Look at Phil Taylor, he is mainly seen on Sky Sports yet he has been in the shortlist before.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team Sky for Team of Year?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think Lendl could get the coach of the year?
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, or maybe team of the year for Murray's whole coaching/fitness team.
    Forum Member

Good call

Even more so if he wins US, which I think he will

I assume he'll be there this year? I mean the night will pretty much be about him

EDIT- Andy that is!