Options

In soaps, why are cancer plots high-profile, and stroke plots always sidelined?

Lucy_ReissLucy_Reiss Posts: 63
Forum Member
A recent example of this being Carol's cancer, which was at the forefront of the programme for months and months. Then Patrick had a stroke a few months later, which had literally one or two episodes of domination, and then was sidelined for ages, with Patrick only making one-off appearances every couple of weeks.

Why don't soaps ever have a dominating storyline revolving around a character having a stroke, like they do with cancer?

Comments

• Options
    worrierprincessworrierprincess Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I can't say I followed either of those EE storylines but would you not agree it may have more to do with elderly characters being sidelined than the type of medical condition being suffered?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Patrick stroke hasn't been sidelined at all :o

He is clearly afflicted when he's in scenes
  • Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I followed either of those EE storylines but would you not agree it may have more to do with elderly characters being sidelined than the type of medical condition being suffered?

Strokes are more common with elderly people, yes. But it is possible to have one in your 30's and 40's. It does happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strokes are more common with elderly people, yes. But it is possible to have one in your 30's and 40's. It does happen

Oh definitely, what I meant was the fact Patrick is an elderly character may be the reason his stroke storyline has been 'sidelined' in comparison to Carol's cancer storyline. Elderly characters rarely get to carry big storylines on soaps.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's because with story lines like cancer, the character can either recover from it, with no real lasting physical effect, or die, if the actor wants to leave. Having a character have a stroke means that there are some lasting effects that the actor has to portray, and can't be conveniently forgotten about if the storyline requires it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maisymoo82 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because with story lines like cancer, the character can either recover from it, with no real lasting physical effect, or die, if the actor wants to leave. Having a character have a stroke means that there are some lasting effects that the actor has to portray, and can't be conveniently forgotten about if the storyline requires it.

You make a good point. I think the reasons you note are also why soap characters rarely suffer from mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

Most health conditions on soaps are either caused by some dramatic accident or are cancer because the former obviously facilitate visually explosive scenes and can be forgotten about shortly after a character's recovery (if they survive, that is) and the latter the drama comes from the 'Will they/won't they survive?' question.

Soaps are so visual in their interpretations that there seems to be little room for medical conditions where we won't see someone lying under debris of a building or a mode of transport. I think first and foremost soap producers need to start having more respect for their viewership and get the message that we can appreciate nuance.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I don't think Patrick's stroke story was sidelined. He might not appear as much as Carol but then did he ever? I think Carol is more of a major character compared with Patrick and her appearing more isn't about cancer versus stroke but that Carol just appears more than Patrick generally.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actor playing Patrick is in his mid 70s so naturally doesn't film as many scenes, all the oap characters feature less regularly than the younger ones. And he's still being shown onscreen to have difficulty walking and talking almost a full year after his stroke, so its not like they've forgotten about it.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Showing someone living their life after a stroke even if it's just mundane scenes, is better than being overly focussed on it imo