IRiver X20 info needed please

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I started a topic a while back asking for recommendations for a new MP3 player and I still haven't got a replacement yet *sigh* I think at the moment (though I can never seem to make up my mind lol) the Iriver X20 seems to be the best bet, though its a bit confusing because I read one review which indicates that the main navigation the scroll wheel is a bit awkward to use but on Amazons page, it claims that its particularly user friendly...

Anyway it does seem to have alot going for itself, although it is quite large looking. I was wondering if anyone has got this and knows if it works well on Vista? also does anyone know if it has a reset button incase it crashes/hangs? and if anyone has any other advice or anything about it that they'd like to share, feel free to post... I also saw a Sandisk Sansa E280 8FB colour (audio/pic/vid) flash player going on Amazon for about £80 but it doesn't sound quite as good and I'd rather pay that little bit more and get a more reliable device. Its particularly good that this Iriver model actually allows you to replace the Li-ion battery, I thought all of Creatives models did this as that was the main reason for buying Creative ones rather than the Ipods which have built in ones, my old Creative one had one, so I wasn't best chuffed to find that they don't appear to make any with replacement batteries anymore (and the price they cost, they also dont tend to come with a mains adapter as standard either - I think its a rip off that! but anyway...)

anyway srry thats kinda OT anyway any help with info. on the IRiver X20 would be much appreciated, thanks in advance for replies :)

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't make my mind up, im still put off by the fact that it seems you can't get a travel pouch/case for it, right(?) considering its fairly large... its the replacement battery and wma playback, drag and drop ability and expandability through the microSD card slot that make it seem good... but it doesn't come with a mains adapter and no pouch :( and I don't know if it works well on Vista...

btw one final question, who make IRiver MP3 Players? I originally thought it was a brand of Samsung but I don't think thats the case(?) *shrug* any info. much appreciated, thanks...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iriver is one of the oldest makes of mp3 player around back when Rio was a big make (before Ipods hit it big). I have an X20 - not sure about the reset buttton but having a removable battery means you can cut the power and reset it that way. But I have never had mine hang or crash.

I'm sure you could get a generic pouch for it though it shouldn't really need one. I do like creative zen having "zencessories" but the X20 is too minor a product to have its own accessory range.

The X20 scroll wheel is mechanical not touch so you have to apply some force unlike on Ipods, having greasy wheel or fingertips makes it a bit slippery. The user interface is fairly intuitive and the wheel scrolls fast but it is smaller wheel than on ipods so better for those with smaller hands. (so maybe physically awkward but user friendly software-wise, I personally didn't get tired of it though a D-pad is my preferred method).

Videos play decently well and power output is also good. But I couldn't install the iriver software to my PC (it wouldn't work) so I couldn't convert any videos to watch on the device.

The FM radio is really really good, much better than even my creative zen, when you have a good signal it sounds so clear and vibrant.

The X20 charges off of USB which believe me is they way forward for all portable devices including mobile phones - look at motorola ones and the new creative zen. This means it will charge whenever you hook i tup to your computer plus they give you an adapter thing to plug it into the mains via USB. Personally the battery lasts so long that I rarely need to charge it (and I spend over 3 hours commuting every day when I use it) and half the time the computer chrages it when I update the library and the other half of the time I use my motorola phone charger on it. but it is mains chargeable with the supplied adapter.

I haven't used the microSD card socket yet but cards are pretty cheap and I expect a firmware update will allow high capacity cards to be used. It is a bit on the big side compared to my creative player but it is a nice player - both have a few interface flaws and tbh I find my creative's flaws more irritating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, thanks for the reply :)
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Iriver is one of the oldest makes of mp3 player around back when Rio was a big make (before Ipods hit it big). I have an X20 - not sure about the reset buttton but having a removable battery means you can cut the power and reset it that way. But I have never had mine hang or crash.

yeah I realised this later, of course you can just take the battery out *doh* thats probably kinda obvious, srry if that was a dumb question lol

Thats all useful info., a shame about the vids... I read somewhere you have to manually download the video converter software, does this cost extra? is that what doesn't work with Vista? hope not, that'd be a down side...

thanks again! btw I noticed 1GB MicroSD cards at Argos costs £22(!) (I take it you can buy them cheaper elsewhere? and get a MicroSD to standard SD adapter to be able to transfer stuff from laptop to card(?)), shame it doesnt take normal SD cards, 1GB standard SD cards only cost about £10 and I've already got a spare one lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    thanks again! btw I noticed 1GB MicroSD cards at Argos costs £22(!) (I take it you can buy them cheaper elsewhere? and get a MicroSD to standard SD adapter to be able to transfer stuff from laptop to card

For memory card, buy online.

You won't get nearly as good a deal on the high street no matter how hard you look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    For memory card, buy online.

You won't get nearly as good a deal on the high street no matter how hard you look.

Yeah, I just noticed if I buy the MP3 Player through the exclusive retailer online they offer a 2GB card for £15.29, where it usually sells for £16.99, both much, much cheaper! I don't mind paying under £20 for 2GB... so thats def. not such an issue. Though its still a shame that it won't take normal SD cards, I'll have to figure out another use for my spare 1GB card... I thought I'd use it with my digital camera but I have plenty of room on the card thats already in it *shrug*
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had seen before a 1GB microSD card offered by Amazon for £1.88 (yes amazing I know!) this included a microSD to full-size SD card adapter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I had seen before a 1GB microSD card offered by Amazon for £1.88 (yes amazing I know!) this included a microSD to full-size SD card adapter.

Now that is undeniably good value for money :) though knowing Amazon, the sting will be in the P&P price... still it probably wouldn't be over £5. Not bad at all!

(btw after all this I ended up realising (I kinda forgot all about it *oops*) I can play MP3s on my PSP and decided to leave the desperate search for a brand new dedicated MP3 player for now, I bought an extra pro duo card instead and am using that instead now lol at least I know it works! it'll put me on and ill prob get something better in the new year sales I figure, thats what im thinking at the moment anyway...)