All Time Great Nottingham Forest Team

stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive been a Forest fan for over 40 years, and was wondering, if any other fans can pick, their all time great Forest team
Mine is:

Peter Shilton
Viv Anderson, Terry Hennessy, Kenny Burns, Stuart Pearce.
Martin O'Neill, John McGovern, Archie Gemmill, John Robertson.
Peter Withe, Tony Woodcock.

Comments

• tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a team.

And going against what I usually do, I'll ask the question, how would they do today?

PS Saw a picture of Hennessey in his Birmingham days woth a full head of hair - looked completely different!.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit too young to remember Hennessy so would offer Des Walker as an alternative centre back.

Dare I say it, I'd probably have Collymore as one of the forwards too. I know he's a bit of a joke nowadays to a lot of people, but there's little doubt he was on fire for us the vast majority of times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Roy Keane? Or did he leave too soon?
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Forest back in the premier league, they just belong there if you ask me
  • stairwaystairway Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit too young to remember Hennessy so would offer Des Walker as an alternative centre back.

Dare I say it, I'd probably have Collymore as one of the forwards too. I know he's a bit of a joke nowadays to a lot of people, but there's little doubt he was on fire for us the vast majority of times.

As Tennisman said he wondered how they would fair today, I think Hennessy, would be a little slow for today's game, so yes, Des Walker would be preffered, likewise John McGovern, so in would come Roy Keane.

Collymore was good, but i don't think a team player, Whereas Withe and Woodcock worked great together and in the team.
    I'm sure if they were at their peak today, Forest would runaway with the league
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collymore was (With us anyway) one of our best players ever.

Love him or loathe him, he was sensational. I genuinly believe he is one of the most naturally gifted players ever to play for the club, and could well have been a regular in the England team, and one of the all-time greats. Sadly he blew it all for himself, but my god was he good for those 2 years.
  • DingbatDingbat Posts: 2,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Withe & Woodcock were good up front, but what about Joe Baker, Jim Baxter, Trevor Francis, Ian Storey Moore, Duncan McKenzie, or even Nigel Clough or Pierre van Vanishing Act? ;)

All of them could easily fit in an all-time best Forest side.

Lots of others, too.

Neil Webb (the slim version:))
    Gary Birtles
    Johnny Metgod
    Steve Stone

and so on...
  • pwilkypwilky Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    stairway wrote: »
    Ive been a Forest fan for over 40 years, and was wondering, if any other fans can pick, their all time great Forest team
    Mine is:

Peter Shilton
    Viv Anderson, Terry Hennessy, Kenny Burns, Stuart Pearce.
    Martin O'Neill, John McGovern, Archie Gemmill, John Robertson.
    Peter Withe, Tony Woodcock.

Des Walker is the best English centre-back since Bobby Moore in his pomp and almost certainly the best player Notts Forest have EVER had!

To leave him out is beyond ludicrous!

I don't even think Kenny Burns' mum would have the audacity to place her son above Des!