Best end of episode cliffhanger in Buffy

What's your favourite?

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Angel losing his soul after doing Buffy :eek:

2nd....Giles returning to kick Willow's arse. Didn't have the internet then, so it was a genuine surprise.
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of season five opening episode, 'Buffy vs. Dracula" (S05E01), where we are introduced to Dawn -- that was a true "OMG-WTF" :eek::eek::eek: moment for me on first viewing.
    • Buffy enters her bedroom, to find a strange girl going through her things.
    • She asks the girl what she is doing in her room.
    • Joyce calls up the stairs telling Buffy she is meant to be look after her sister.
    • Buffy and Dawn cry out, "Mom!" in unison.

My jaw dropped; and the entire week leading up to the next episode my brain was racing with theories (none of which were anywhere near the truth:D).

Truly jaw-dropping stuff! :cool:
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely The Gift wins, with Buffy dead and buried?
    Forum Member
    Not sure that really counts as a cliffhanger. That should have been the final shot of the show.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Not sure that really counts as a cliffhanger. That should have been the final shot of the show.

Yeah but it had a genuine "fear" attached to it because of that
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Surely The Gift wins, with Buffy dead and buried?

yeah i agree,the whole last scene is amazingly shot,acted & the music goes so well with it as well..

hearing buffys voice as she jumps is very earie & heartbreaking as well..

the last scene of that series..strange seeing it,even after watching the series through a few times..

that was meant to be the last episode ever..imagine if it did turn out that way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    yeah i agree,the whole last scene is amazingly shot,acted & the music goes so well with it as well..

hearing buffys voice as she jumps is very earie & heartbreaking as well..

the last scene of that series..strange seeing it,even after watching the series through a few times..

that was meant to be the last episode ever..imagine if it did turn out that way

Then we wouldn't have got Once More with Feeling!!

But like others have said, that didn't really feel like a cliffhanger - Things like Angel losing his soul and the Dawn reveal were

One that got me was Buffy coming home at the end of I Was Made To Love You... I was convinced that it was just going to be a relapse and hospital visit

I loved that it wasn't as easy to be spoiled on the internet back then - you had to hunt out your spoilers - so these shocking moments were all the more so for having no idea at all about cast leaving etc
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I was made to love you was pretty shocking.

From around season 5 onwards I became a huge spoiler **** for Buffy, if I could go back and watch it fresh I would :(

EDIT: Snap with you GerriP, great minds eh :p
    Forum Member
    How did I forget IWMTLY?

Not often I get choked up by a TV show, but that definitely did it.
  • Mart_UKMart_UK Posts: 2,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Surprise'. Such a great episode, good thing I had the DVD box set when I got into the show, I don't know how people waited a week for each episode!!!
    And 'Passion' was exciting, took Willow a while to find Jenny's computer disk.

(BTW in that invisible girl episode in series 1.. (Too lazy to google) I remember the very end she got taken to other invisible kids in a class and they were learning about assisinations.. I thought that was interesting but I don't think they ever went back to that story... Would have been good if they did)
  • dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becoming part 2 ending. Angel sent to hell, Buffy leaving Sunnydale and no-one knowing where she was or where she was going.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Angel losing his soul after doing Buffy :eek:

2nd....Giles returning to kick Willow's arse. Didn't have the internet then, so it was a genuine surprise.

Yeah, I loved both of those, absolute shockers the pair of them. I'd also agree with the previous poster about the introduction of Dawn. That was a serious WTF moment.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine wasn't from Buffy, but was from the Buffy-verse.

In Angel, when he found he couldn't save mortal Darla, and they were resigned to her death, only for Lindsay and his henchmen to burst in and stun Angel, followed by Drusilla to re-vamp Darla!

They'd not put Juliette Landau's name in the opening credits, so it was total surprise. My jaw hit the floor. I couldn't wait for the next episode.
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Yeah same with Giles' return in "Two To Go", they didn't put Anthony Stewart Head's name in the opening. LOVED his return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoF44ei1uQY

Another favourite cliffhanger of mine is when Tara and Buffy get shot, there are 3 final shots complete with 3 Eastenders-like "duffs". One of Buffy lying bleeding but awake, one of Tara lying dead, and the final shot of Willow with big evil eyes. Complete with "To be continued!"

Which reminds me of another cliffhanger. In season 3 (I forget the episode), Buffy stabs Faith (needing her blood to cure Angel), but Faith then jumps off the roof landing on a lorry as it speeds by. The episode ends on Buffy's face as she watches her last chance of saving Angel disappear (plus the shock factor of has she just murdered Faith?)!

Oh, my final favourite cliffhanger (I keep thinking of more):
    Buffy: Faith you don't get it - you killed a man.
    Faith: No, YOU don't get it. I don't care!
    Buffy: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reading all these makes me remembered when i saw them all for the first time...Buffy was epic at cliffhangers...so glad the internet wasnt in full swing then...oh my gosh how i loved watching them all fresh!

There are so many cliffhangers i loved making all of us wait in anticipation for the next week...especially being so young at the time for me too XD
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love the Becoming the 2 parter that ended season 2 when they gave you a whole back story on Angel.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite cliffhanger scene was Spike being given a soul. That was a great moment and a shocker...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    My favourite cliffhanger scene was Spike being given a soul. That was a great moment and a shocker...

Yes and what a way to end the season too! :eek:
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    We were supposed to think he wanted the chip out but in season 7 he talks about how he went to get his soul back.

But in the actual episode when the demon says "we will return your soul", Spike looks shocked/horrified like that's NOT what he went there for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I think Spike's just shocked and horrified because getting a soul is so painful. It's always seemed that way to me, from the first time I watched it. However, I've heard people dispute this issue before, so obviously there is still some confusion among fans - rather unfortunately, since Spike getting a soul is such a major turning point for his character.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned when Buffy walks in and finds her mother dead on the sofa? Certainly memorable.

However, I agree that probably the best end-of-episode cliffhanger was when Giles turned up at the end of Season 6 - I watched that episode with someone who'd never seen the show before earlier this year, and they were completely stunned.
  • Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    We were supposed to think he wanted the chip out but in season 7 he talks about how he went to get his soul back.

But in the actual episode when the demon says "we will return your soul", Spike looks shocked/horrified like that's NOT what he went there for.
    Ah, I agree.
    I've always thought that getting a soul was not what Spike expected to receive.
    I think Spike's just shocked and horrified because getting a soul is so painful. It's always seemed that way to me, from the first time I watched it. However, I've heard people dispute this issue before, so obviously there is still some confusion among fans - rather unfortunately, since Spike getting a soul is such a major turning point for his character.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned when Buffy walks in and finds her mother dead on the sofa? Certainly memorable.

However, I agree that probably the best end-of-episode cliffhanger was when Giles turned up at the end of Season 6 - I watched that episode with someone who'd never seen the show before earlier this year, and they were completely stunned.

I think the I Was Made To Love You cliffhanger, before The Body, has already been mentioned in this thread.
    (Yes. Definitely a memorable ending. Even if the rest of IWMtLY is not, so much...)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tara's death shocked me. Never used the internet during buffy's time on the air so whatever happened was always a suprise for me but that truly shocked me
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Not a cliff-hanger as such, but the ending to "Fear Itself" hasn't been beaten to this day and probably never will be.

For an actual cliff-hanger, how about "Checkpoint" :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a cliff-hanger as such, but the ending to "Fear Itself" hasn't been beaten to this day and probably never will be.

For an actual cliff-hanger, how about "Checkpoint" :eek:

yeah "read the small print.....actual size..." hahaha XD

and YES "glory is not a demon....she is a god...........oh" :cool::eek:
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much agree with everything said already, but just to add...

I thought the end of 'Tough Love' was brilliant because I really wasn't expecting Glory to show up again so soon after Willow's attack on her. I thought it was going to be one of those sad/emotional endings to the episode (with them adapting to Tara's mentality) but then suddenly Glory rips the wall off and discovers Dawn's the Key. That was a real "how are they going to escape this?" moment for me.