Options

Please Recommend me some sci-fi/fantasy/supernatural TV shows

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twin Peaks is brilliant, I see others have mentioned it to. You should deffo check it out, though you have to be in the right frame of mind as it's very surreal and hard to keep track of everything thats going on

Didn't it end in a cliffhanger though? I am not being rude because i am being grateful but I don't wanna dedicate my time for a television show where it is left with an unresolved cliffhanger.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't it end in a cliffhanger though? I am not being rude because i am being grateful but I don't wanna dedicate my time for a television show where it is left with an unresolved cliffhanger.

It's still worth watching and there was a "follow up" prequel, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, which basically explained all the events of the two seasons of the actual show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Cadiva

I am really loving Grimm at the moment. Three episodes into season 1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Since you mentioned Buffy and Angel first in your list, I'm thinking you should definitely check out Firefly and Dollhouse if you haven't done so. Not as good as the Buffyverse, in my opinion, but still good.

I second the UK version of Being Human.

Another show I liked was Reaper.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farscape, Stargate SG1 and Sliders
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    The Walking Dead is a must if not already mentioned.

And while it's not really the same genre, looking at the things you like I think you'd enjoy Castle if you've not tried it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did watch Being Human but it got boring after series 2. I'll give the american one a go

Castle, didn't really like it. Not fond of crime shows, unless it has a slight unusual difference to them

And i mentioned Dollhouse. It's one of my fav shows

And reaper, yes i have seen all of that. Gutted it was cancelled.
  • Options
    claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    You know I had no idea that was the same actor.

Yeah, it took me about 5 seasons of watching NCIS before I made the connection - he gets my vote for Nathan Drake in any Uncharted movie too.

Another program I've just remember OP - First Wave. Ran for 3 seasons from 1998 and was very good. I only thought about it as I watched Continuum last night (another surprisingly enjoyable show), and one of the actors in it was also in First Wave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For people who are fans of Fringe, is it ok just to watch the main Mythology episodes. I found this article where this person details the key episode of Fringe that are important to watch regarding the show at it's core. Is it wise to do that? I basically just wanna run through the first four seasons rather quick and if i like it, i'll go back and watch the show in it's entirety.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quiet enjoyed The Fades. It did end with a sort of cliff hanger and not sure if they're going to make a second series. It did win a Bafta though, so it may do.

EDIT: Just read it's been axed as apparently it didn't get enough viewers in the 18 - 32 age range it was aimed for, as more older viewers watched. Which is really annoying!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    For people who are fans of Fringe, is it ok just to watch the main Mythology episodes. I found this article where this person details the key episode of Fringe that are important to watch regarding the show at it's core. Is it wise to do that? I basically just wanna run through the first four seasons rather quick and if i like it, i'll go back and watch the show in it's entirety.

Ohhh that's a tough one to call .. Fringe is up there with some of the best TV out there and if you have the time I'd watch it from the start .. first season mythology etc picks up around episode 10 ish .. defo worth watching all the way thru .. imho
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Two UK shows worth seeing are Life on Mars and Ultraviolet.

There are only 2 seasons of Life on Mars and 1 of Ultraviolet.

Here's the link for Ultraviolet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've just thought of another one. Afterlife
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of this genre but keen to discover more if anyone would mind giving me a heads up. :)

These are the ones I have seen at the moment if this narrows it down

Buffy, Angel, Hercules, Xena, Teen Wolf, The X Files, American Horror Story, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Charmed, The Vampire Diaries, Beauty and The Beast, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Sarah Connor, Dollhouse, Supernatural, Birds Of Prey, The 4400, Futurama, Heroes, Switch, True Blood and Roswell.

Thanks in advance:)

You OP have good taste. Mostly. :p

How about:
    Twin Peaks
    Red Dwarf
    Kingdom Hospital
    The Kingdom / Riget
    Babylon 5 << WATCH IT!
    Qauntum Leap
    Farscape
    Firefly
    Space: Above and Beyond
    Monkey
    Eerie, Indiana << ANOTHER MUST!
    Carnivale <<< MUST
    Being Human
    Misfits
    American Gothic
    A Town Called Eureka
    Fringe
    Forever Knight << Predates True Blood and much superior show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the comment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have so far given Grimm, Fringe and Merlin a go

I love Merlin, but Grimm and Fringe were a no for me.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What happened with Grimm, you were enjoying it back in November?

As for Fringe I actually gave up on it after about 5 episodes but then heard some stuff about the Season 1 finale that got me to watch that.

I have now watched it through to the almost End (only 3 episodes to go) but I've still not gone back and watched the rest of Season 1.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you tried BLADE: The Series?
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Cannot believe anyone has'nt mentioned Sanctuary, one of the best sci-fi, fantasy TV shows in recent years ( okay next to Farscape and Firefly ), personally i would'nt bother with Revolution as it was a pile of crap, but Continuum was a good watch and looking forward to a 2nd season, Grimm 'outstanding'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grimm for me got a bit dull for me. By the time i got to season 2, i found the characters rather dull and the storylines not as thrilling to keep me coming back for another episode

Fringe for me is rather complicated and rather hard to follow and it bugged my brain a lot. I also didn't think much to stand alone episodes or really take a liking to any of the characters.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone has mentioned Arrow yet. It's newish and has just finished its first half-season. It's sort-of like Batman except with a bow and arrow and he kills people. It's well-written and played with conviction; much better than The Cape, or most of the other super-hero series of recent years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ninz39 wrote: »
    Lost girl is fun but bullet in the face is a must see ...if you can find it, I bet you won't have seen a show like it before

I like Lost Girl although the episodes are very hit and miss in their quality.

However, one of my favourite episodes from a sci fi show has to be the one where they swap bodies in Lost Girl. That was so funny and really entertaining!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grimm for me got a bit dull for me. By the time i got to season 2, i found the characters rather dull and the storylines not as thrilling to keep me coming back for another episode

Fringe for me is rather complicated and rather hard to follow and it bugged my brain a lot. I also didn't think much to stand alone episodes or really take a liking to any of the characters.

Grimm has really improved this season (2), so it might be worth giving it a go still.

Fringe now has a complicated storyline and if you miss one episode, I think it would be hard to continue to follow it. It's very good but you do need to follow every episode and not random ones.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lost Room
    Great little mini you can fit in any time ;)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This I find hard to understand! One of the main assets of Fringe to my mind is the fantastic characters, particularly Walter! I also find Peter fascinating. Such a complex person.