Options

Huge PC problem - I uninstalled everything

HELP!

I installed a video editing thing called New Blue Titler pro tonight. When it was installing I noticed I forgot to put it into a folder so it went straight into program files (86) as tons of little files. So I decided to uninstall it because that looked easier than gathering them all up into a folder. Yes, I'm dumb. (the plan was to reinstall but make a folder for the stuff first so it would look neat)

Anyway, as it's uninstalling I'm noticing other things seem to be vanishing too. I flustered about for a cancel button while it was being wiped but in just a few seconds everything was gone.
EVERYTHING on my monitor is a dead end link, I have no AVG, no emails, no NVIDIA drivers, itunes, games, god knows what else. My games are gone. I've a funny feeling half my Windows has vanished too.

I dunno where to start. Is there a way to get it back without having to browse through the internet getting all my programmes back one by one? How do I even get my emails to work, when I click "read mail" it says default mail client is not properly installed. When I click Nvidia icon nothing happens. Any advice welcome.
How could uninstalling one programme take the lot?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    System restore

There should be an option to restore to before you installed the video editing thing.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If you have just deleted them from your Program Files folder then you should be able to go in your Recycle Bin and restore everything back.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    If you have just deleted them from your Program Files folder then you should be able to go in your Recycle Bin and restore everything back.
    An uninstaller deletes files, it doesn't put them into the Recycle Bin. That only happens if you do a manual delete and don't press shift.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to be unhelpful or wise after the event but if System Restore doesn't get everything back to how it was then your experience demonstrates why it's good practice to backup your system to an external hard drive on a regular basis.

As a former techie I wish I had a fiver for everytime I've seen something similar happen. Do you know anyone with a recovery disk such as Hiren´'s Boot CD? There are many free file recovery programs available that might at least get some of your files/folders back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. I lost more than I thought but it's just a case of reinstalling them. I wrote down everything that wouldn't open, or that ended up a dead link and I'll get them all back today, (trying to dodge freebie toolbars & stuff that come with them. Already downloaded "incredibar"with my VLC player that wont go away now. I'm sure there will be more.).

What a weird thing to happen though, uninstalling one little thing and it takes the lot out with it. I've googled that and only found 1 thing similar. Somebody was uninstalling firefox and it wiped his program list.

I got my AGV back, NVIDIA drivers, fixed the windows live folder (emails were broke), now it's just all my toys like convertx, itunes, adobe reader, winrar etc etc.

It's not long since my pc was reformatted and swopped from XP to windows 7 so I never got round to making a restore point yet. That's a priority when this is up and running proper. Would that actually have worked though if the bits and bobs are gone from PC?

One last thing - youtube wont work for me today, is that a prob on their side, or mine?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skybird333 wrote: »
    ..... (trying to dodge freebie toolbars & stuff that come with them. Already downloaded "incredibar"with my VLC player that wont go away now. I'm sure there will be more.).

Easiest, safest way is with Ninite http://ninite.com/ which just installs the programs and none of the crap
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skybird333 wrote: »
    ...It's not long since my pc was reformatted and swopped from XP to windows 7 so I never got round to making a restore point yet. That's a priority when this is up and running proper...
    Aren't Restore Points switched on by default in W7, as in previous versions?

Did you manually turn it off?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sites don't bug you with extra toolbars etc as much.

eg Filehippo and Softpedia

CNET used to be my favourite site, but not for 18 months or so, for that very reason

DoubleDriver is a great Open Source backup for your drivers. Stick them on a CD/DVD if you don't have ext HDD.

I have just actually used it to restore my USB Hub driver. Bought two new cheap Chinese hubs and neither was recognized. Cursing the folly of my miserliness, I found it's my laptop at fault, not the hubs.

Also see 'gizmos techsupportalert' for any missing Freeware you might fancy.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Easiest, safest way is with Ninite http://ninite.com/ which just installs the programs and none of the crap

I will endorse Ninite - it saves a lot of time downloading from individual sites and also includes links to other useful and sometimes forgotten programs like Flash Player and Java.

Skybird - Your problem with YouTube could be that you haven't installed the latest version of Flash Player.