Options

Voices in your head

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Do you or anyone you know hear voices in your head?
Is this quite common, but people are scared to talk about it?

Following on from the radio program below, Josie Long, Jon Ronson and Graham Linehan hear voices.
Josie hears whispering voices that she can't hear clearly, and 'run away' when she tries to focus on them.
Jon and Graham get shouting voices, random noises 'Yip Phwarrr' rather like someone been surprised just as they're drift off to sleep.

Jon Ronson On...
Writer and documentary maker Jon Ronson returns for another 5 part series of fascinating stories shedding light on the human condition.

Eleanor Longden started to hear voices in her head when she was at university and was diagnosed as a schizophrenic - a label she totally rejects.
Now she is a high achieving academic. What started the voices and how did she get to a point where she not only lives happily with the voices that still exist but also works with others who have the same experience? With contributions from writer Graham Linehan and comedian Josie Long.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    sometimes when i`m manic, it`s usually just mumble, sometimes i get a man calling my name which makes me jump but i get smells more.

this is a good video of someone using a simulator and trying to get through the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEPz6EepNA

and here`s one to try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvU-Ajwbok

edit: those might be triggering for some, before you click.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think to myself sometimes (and occasionally vocalise it :blush:) but nothing more than that. It's never like someone else talking to me - just me verbalising my thoughts.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes when I'm fast asleep....
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Sometimes when I'm fast asleep....

Kind of joking (?) aside..the sleep to being awake moment is something in recent years that has become more prevalent for me.

I swear I will literally jump from my bed having heard a really loud sound - usually knocking at the door. It's not a dream, but then neither is it real..My sleeping dog and frequent checking has proven this.

Not just 'knocking at my door.' either Another frequent one that begins as asleep and crosses momentarily into being awake, is someone roaring aggressively..never actual comprehensible words..just loud and seriously angry - and has me out of bed and on my feet sharpish.

I think this 'symptom' was mentioned here relatively recently, though perhaps not quite fitting the actual criteria OP alludes to.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think I hear something. I'll hear my name, but there's no one about who could have said it. Not so much 'voices' though. No one talks to me.
    Like Andrue I also think to myself. I can have conversations with myself in my mind.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of joking (?) aside..the sleep to being awake moment is something in recent years that has become more prevalent for me.

I swear I will literally jump from my bed having heard a really loud sound - usually knocking at the door. It's not a dream, but then neither is it real..My sleeping dog and frequent checking has proven this.

Not just 'knocking at my door.' either Another frequent one that begins as asleep and crosses momentarily into being awake, is someone roaring aggressively..never actual comprehensible words..just loud and seriously angry - and has me out of bed and on my feet sharpish.

I think this 'symptom' was mentioned here relatively recently, though perhaps not quite fitting the actual criteria OP alludes to.

Yes, I get all sorts of weird stuff happening, especially when I'm on the verge of falling asleep and when I'm sleep deficient. Aside from bursts of really vivid shouting voices and other noises, I get surreal images jumping into my head too. Sometimes when I'm really tired my brain can go into a weird state where I experience things that I cannot explain as they lie outwith the realms of language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The vivid shouting and other noises, 'sounds' rather similar to what Jon and Graham describe in the program, it's in the first 5 minutes or so before the program gets into Eleanor's (more serious, but amusing) experience.

Eleanor had one of her voices give her the answers to as Statistics exam, got the highest marks in her Uni's history IIRC.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much these days but I used to hear lots of sounds when drifting off to sleep. The whispers didn't bother me too much, but mad pounding on doors scared the hell out of me.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people have a problem they argue loudest with themselves.
    Just listen to someone who has hit their thumb with a hammer and hear all the things they call themselves.
    Talking to yourself is a way of relieving tension .
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    I sometimes think I hear something. I'll hear my name, but there's no one about who could have said it. Not so much 'voices' though. No one talks to me.
    Like Andrue I also think to myself. I can have conversations with myself in my mind.

I do that all the time :blush:

Did have a weird one on Friday though. I was getting ready to go out and - suffering from a panic and anxiety disorder I was getting in a right old state, worrying I wouldn't be able to make my appointment. I always have to talk my way through it. Told myself one last time not to worry as I'd be fine when I heard a voice in my mind say "It's your neck you need to worry about!"
    I thought it odd but brushed it aside. Till an hour later when I felt a horrible pain in my neck. Since then I've been laid up hardly able to move :o
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sometimes when i`m manic, it`s usually just mumble, sometimes i get a man calling my name which makes me jump but i get smells more.

Similar thing here Annette. Jumbled voices talking to each other (like being in a bar), sometimes a single voice talking to me specifically (or even two conversing about me) and other not voice-specific auditory hallucinations such as hearing church bells and running water when there are none. Always worse when I'm stressed out or going into a manic phase. I get visual and scent hallucinations too.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you or anyone you know hear voices in your head?
    Is this quite common, but people are scared to talk about it?

Following on from the radio program below, Josie Long, Jon Ronson and Graham Linehan hear voices.
    Josie hears whispering voices that she can't hear clearly, and 'run away' when she tries to focus on them.
    Jon and Graham get shouting voices, random noises 'Yip Phwarrr' rather like someone been surprised just as they're drift off to sleep.

Jon Ronson On...
    Writer and documentary maker Jon Ronson returns for another 5 part series of fascinating stories shedding light on the human condition.

Eleanor Longden started to hear voices in her head when she was at university and was diagnosed as a schizophrenic - a label she totally rejects.
    Now she is a high achieving academic. What started the voices and how did she get to a point where she not only lives happily with the voices that still exist but also works with others who have the same experience? With contributions from writer Graham Linehan and comedian Josie Long.

Stop it Mother this is so typical of you...

Sorry Norman
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do that all the time :blush:

Did have a weird one on Friday though. I was getting ready to go out and - suffering from a panic and anxiety disorder I was getting in a right old state, worrying I wouldn't be able to make my appointment. I always have to talk my way through it. Told myself one last time not to worry as I'd be fine when I heard a voice in my mind say "It's your neck you need to worry about!"
    I thought it odd but brushed it aside. Till an hour later when I felt a horrible pain in my neck. Since then I've been laid up hardly able to move :o

About 22 minutes into the program is the story related by a Psychiatrist of a woman who heard 2 voices, said she wasn't going mad, they used to work at Great Ormond Street and were here to help her.
    Long story short, the voices informed her that her brain stem was inflamed and she had a tumour.
    To allay her fears and as a favour to the Psychiatrist, the Hospital performed a CT scan, they called him back to check the results while she was still in the scanner, there was the tumour.
    After the tumour was removed the voices came back, said they were grateful to help her and said goodbye.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

redrum redrum redrum.........
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I talk to myself in my head all the time. Is that odd then? My inside voice says it's perfectly normal but I don't trust her now..
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Worrying. I mean because you share the same voice as IDS..

..relax it's just a voice for you..a goal for him :kitty:
  • Options
    ErinsAuntieKathErinsAuntieKath Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I hear voices, as well as auditory hallucinations I also have tactile hallucinations and musical ones.
    They're annoying, but can be funny and supportive depending on my mood. It's the constant chatter that is most annoying.
    I'm lucky I think being an atheist so none of my hallucinations are religious, anytime I'm in hospital there are always patients struggling with the good verses evil hallucinations and they seem so overwhelmed with it.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear voices, as well as auditory hallucinations I also have tactile hallucinations and musical ones.
    They're annoying, but can be funny and supportive depending on my mood. It's the constant chatter that is most annoying.
    I'm lucky I think being an atheist so none of my hallucinations are religious, anytime I'm in hospital there are always patients struggling with the good verses evil hallucinations and they seem so overwhelmed with it.

Musical? Are you sure that part might not be Tinnitus?
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in my mid teens I went through a period of hearing taunting voices when I looked in the mirror. ( conditions had to be 'just so' for me to hear them. It had to be very quiet and only when I was alone )
    I don't recall what they said exactly, just the taunting tone. It stopped when I was through that stressful hormonal time of my life.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Demons
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyle broflovski says it's your intuition .....
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    There are kind of two ways of coping with too much dopamine, one is schizophrenia or psychosis, the other is excessive thoughts.

I have far too much dopamine, but my brain kind of goes the other way to schizophrenia and into hyper thinking. I become incredibly obsessed with solving puzzles etc, but it keeps the symptoms of schizophrenia at bay.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Nope I don't.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!! Not so much anymore, but a few years ago I did alot, not just voices, but bells chiming and even felt vibrating on my head as I was trying to sleep.
    I was terrified and went to the doctor but he wasn't bothered at all and didn't help so that put my mind at ease!