Sweaty overweight man wearing shorts on a plane

Comments

• BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Is this the low budget sequel to snakes on a plane?

Sweat on a Jet?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Could be worse. A drunk guy sat beside me on q bus then threw up over me

I know I've told this story before, but on the way back from Japan a few years ago I was stuck next to a guy masturbating. I think he was actually doing it in his sleep, as well...
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Thats very rude of you to call them fat.
    if I had called them fat yes it would be but I didn't :) hence my use of quotation marks :)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really difficult to be put in the situation of having a very obese person seated next to you. It's also horrible for the obese person I'm sure. If you've paid for a plane seat then you want to have that seat to yourself and not give half of it up to your neighbour.

I've had a very obese lady seated next to me .... Only young but terrified of flying so as well as her hanging over me and dripping with sweat because she was so anxious, she was half-crying. I did my best to calm her down and fortunately it was only a 3.5 hour flight but that was bad enough. There is no way I could have endured it for 8 or 10 hours.

I think the fairest way is to have a weight limit when people book and if you are over a certain weight then you have to pay for 2 seats or maybe they should be looking at having extra large seats for obese people, but I'm guessing that would be very expensive.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    you sound like a stroppy teenager and not very mature

I feel sorry for that man having to sit next to you for 4hrs

I am not even sure this happened, the story sounds made up so you can start a thread about "fat" people.

just because you have no dignity doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to any.

maybe next time you could pay for four seats, a row of three for yourself and another seat at the other end of the plane to let your wife have a break from you

I do love these typical DS "holier-than-thou" responses. It happens in almost every thread. (not just you, your one of many many others). Pick any thread at random and there are similar responses. I take it you would not have given it a second thought if this mans sweaty legs had been pressed into yours for 4 hours ? Yep, no problem for you at all and shame on anyone who would have felt inconvenienced by such a thing. Im sure you would have sat there smiling.

I suspect what people like you write (preach!) about on here and what they actually would do in real life are very different.
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    that is awful! is that standard then in the U.S if you are bigger than size 0 you have to buy two seats?

I emailed a friend, a Boeing airline mechanic at JFK, to check this.
    He said that although these airlines do require passengers to buy two seats, they have varying criteria in imposing it.
    Alaska Airlines, United Airways, Virgin America, and American Airlines.
    In addition, I read an article in a paper, which said that Air France/KLM are also thinking of introducing it.
    I guess that it was always on the cards, as the airlines reduce the pitch and width of seats in coach in order to cram more paying passengers on board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love these typical DS "holier-than-thou" responses. It happens in almost every thread. (not just you, your one of many many others). Pick any thread at random and there are similar responses. I take it you would not have given it a second thought if this mans sweaty legs had been pressed into yours for 4 hours ? Yep, no problem for you at all and shame on anyone who would have felt inconvenienced by such a thing. Im sure you would have sat there smiling.

I suspect what people like you write (preach!) about on here and what they actually would do in real life are very different.

I have been on a plane squished between two people before, it happens when you travel alone. I also used to get a bus home from work a few years ago and people used to literally sit on me and wiggle to give themselves room and I am not even talking overweight people here. there was a guy who got on and would sit with his leg pressed against me cos he fancied me, i would get off the bus and he would follow me up the street asking me out!

It is just one of those things that happen. I wouldn't do what you have done by trying to humiliate people just for the sake of it or starting a thread on a public forum in the hope that everyone agrees and joins in with your view.

I am not holier than thou either I am just direct and say what I think, I just have the common courtesy not to humiliate people. if you think that is a bad trait to have so be it,I know Who I would rather be :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed a friend, a Boeing airline mechanic at JFK, to check this.
    He said that although these airlines do require passengers to buy two seats, they have varying criteria in imposing it.
    Alaska Airlines, United Airways, Virgin America, and American Airlines.
    In addition, I read an article in a paper, which said that Air France/KLM are also thinking of introducing it.
    I guess that it was always on the cards, as the airlines reduce the pitch and width of seats in coach in order to cram more paying passengers on board.

see I think that the supervisor airline woman was in the wrong, if the lady needed to buy two seats under their policy how did they let her board the plane without two tickets.

yeah funnier how people are getting bigger but they reduce the size of seats
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there not a few vacant seats left on each flight deliberately for such fat , smelly, drunk,bloke eventualities ?
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member

The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

Is that the bloke on the plane?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said to the man that did he really think shorts were an acceptable choice to wear when he knows full well that there is no way he could sit next to someone without making bodily contact with them.

If it happened then that's the bit you added in afterward.
    Do your friends know you as Porky Pie Pete?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats very rude of you to call them fat.

You wouldn't be so rude would you?
    I swapped seats with my wife and had to endure 4 hours of sweaty man leg pressed firmly into my own and fat elbows protruding onto my seat and table.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on a plane squished between two people before, it happens when you travel alone. I also used to get a bus home from work a few years ago and people used to literally sit on me and wiggle to give themselves room and I am not even talking overweight people here. there was a guy who got on and would sit with his leg pressed against me cos he fancied me, i would get off the bus and he would follow me up the street asking me out!

It is just one of those things that happen. I wouldn't do what you have done by trying to humiliate people just for the sake of it or starting a thread on a public forum in the hope that everyone agrees and joins in with your view.

I am not holier than thou either I am just direct and say what I think, I just have the common courtesy not to humiliate people. if you think that is a bad trait to have so be it,I know Who I would rather be :)

Have to agree ,I had to speak with a man beside me on a plane and ask him to remove his very large arm and elbow off my boobs !! I asked him nicely once , I told him the next time to remove his arm and contain it . Next time it happened I picked him arm off my body and the next time I poked it with my pen ! My battle , I didn't need to humiliate him in front of a plane full
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    The poor man must have been horrified to have to sit next to you and your wife. He has my sympathy.

Yeah this
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Please then feel sorry for my poor hubby who works in security at the airport. He has to frisk people who are drowned in sweat, whether they are large or small (there are different methods for very overweight people) and get up close and personal to them all. He's there for 10 hours today and it's very warm out...:(

And mine! Some of the stories he comes home with are fairly grim!!! :o
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a Lufthansa flight? That's the airline I see the most obese people on. Terrible experience anyway for you you have my sympathies.

Hahaha
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I was stuck

Crikey!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I know I've told this story before, but on the way back from Japan a few years ago I was stuck next to a guy masturbating. I think he was actually doing it in his sleep, as well...

Could have been worse - he could have used your hand whilst you were sleeping.:D
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    And mine! Some of the stories he comes home with are fairly grim!!! :o

Wouldn't it be funny if they worked together?!

Mine saw the Bolton Football team today, many of them spoke not a word of English!!
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a similar situation whilst seated for a show in Las Vegas. I had two empty seats to my left and thought, great.... As you do! ;-)

Then just as the lights were dimming, two absolutely huge ladies came down her aisle... My heart sank.. I got given a slight sheepish glance, but I've never, ever been so uncomfortable in such a situation, and I've had a few 'squished' flights.

I literally had half my seat, and had to lean onto my right hip the entire show, legs crossed, with one over my hubby on my right, I had to lean so far onto him, I was virtually on his knees.. And he's a strapping lad of 6ft3"...

I still enjoyed the show, but it made the experience really uncomfortable, and I couldn't help but feel annoyed at them.. So, although I can empathise a bit, I can't understand why anyone would let themselves be put through the humiliation of being 'that person'.. I'd be mortified if i was so large I squashed people like that... It'd be a wake up call, for sure!
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    My mother was seated beside a morbidly obese woman on a flight from Cyprus to Dublin once. It was a horrible experience. She was squashed into her seat, with the other woman taking over half of it. She couldn't even go to the loo because it would have been such a performance for the other woman to get out of her seat to let mum past, and then stand up again to let her back.
    The cabin crew murmured apologies and gave her free wine. But it was an awful flight for my mother. If you pay for a seat in a plane then you're entitled to your seat, not half of it.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

I totally agree.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could have been worse - he could have used your hand whilst you were sleeping.:D

I didn't do any sleeping...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love these typical DS "holier-than-thou" responses.....

I suspect that's exactly what you're guilty of when you claim to have lectured him on his choice of inappropriate clothing on the flight.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just returned from an unpleasent flight where I was sitting in the window seat with my wife next to me (as she prefers to sit away from the window). This left us with the perilous flight lottery of wondering who would get the seat next to her.

On this flight our jaws dropped in horror as a hugely overweight man squeezed himself into the seat next to my wife. He was wearing shorts and his digusting legs were dripping with sweat. My wife had to move herself practically onto my seat for these few seconds to avoid her own legs coming into contact with this sweaty mess.

I said to the man that did he really think shorts were an acceptable choice to wear when he knows full well that there is no way he could sit next to someone without making bodily contact with them. He said sorry, but it was his sheer lack of self awareness or respect for his fellow passangers in the first place that annoyed me.

As the flight was full moving to another seat was not an option. Of course, I swapped seats with my wife and had to endure 4 hours of sweaty man leg pressed firmly into my own and fat elbows protruding onto my seat and table. When I got up to use the toilet my own jeans were dripping wet down one side with HIS sweat (apologies if your eating). This is disgusting. I chose not to go further with any interaction with him as I was so annoyed I was worried that if I started I woukd'nt be able to hold my tounge. Let me add that this was not a budget airline where you are squeezed in like cattle no matter what size. This was an airline with a very nice spacious plane with ample comfort and legroom for "most" people.

While I understand that overweight people have a right to fly as much as anyone how can it be right that "their" body can result in the passenger next to then having a thoroughly horrible experience.

Rant over. Im off to burn my jeans lol.

You and your wife are horrible people.