Wii continues to kick butt

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=171220

I dont get it. Am I missing somthing? :confused:

How does an inferior console with dodgy controls (in my opinion)keep selling???:confused:

I must have missed the boat on this one; I've played on my brother-in-law’s a couple of times and it's ok for a laugh with your mates but I just can’t ever imagine playing on it by myself.:confused:

Who's buying them?:confused:

Comments

• jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »

How does an inferior console with dodgy controls (in my opinion)keep selling???:confused:

I must have missed the boat on this one; I've played on my brother-in-law’s a couple of times and it's ok for a laugh with your mates but I just can’t ever imagine playing on it by myself.:confused:

The controls when done right add a lot to games, they're only dodgy when they make a pigs ear of them. Graphically it's inferior but the success of the PS1, PS2 and DS has proved that they are not as important as the games and gameplay to people.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's down to good marketing.Look at how succesful nintendo have become since 2004 since they hired that reggie guy.Also some people want something diffrant, it only realy the next few months though that it will truely show it's worth.And besides shank, mario is king you knoe that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you forgetting that LOADS of people have sold there wii on DS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    gotta admit i have a wii and a 360 and i hardly ever play on the wii, more games appeal to me on the 360 than the wii

plus i do feel like a twit playing it on my own
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    rufes wrote: »
    .And besides shank, mario is king you knoe that :D

Can’t argue with that rufes, currently replaying Super Mario World on my GBA!
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've got to remember the Wi is much cheaper than the other two as well which undoubtedly helps.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe some peope just like to play on it with friends rather than sit alone playing computer games for hours as that is probably why so many people have never played before, it seems geeky to sit alone in a room playing a computer game even if it is fun. With the Wii people invite friends round, play for a few hours and its like a cheap night in and the multiplayer games are great fun, don't require GAmeFaqs or hours on forums to get through and don't seem so unhealthy as you are moving about.

Just some reasons I could think of there off the top of my head
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

they are like a slinky - fun to start with, everyone is impressed, but after a while everyone realises its a one trick pony, not as much fun as doing pretty much anything else and a little overated. If i wanted to swing my arms about so much i would just go and throw some stuff about - thats free (and holds much less risk of destroying a £1200 HDTV)
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    _bast_ wrote: »
    they are like a slinky - fun to start with, everyone is impressed, but after a while everyone realises its a one trick pony, not as much fun as doing pretty much anything else and a little overated. If i wanted to swing my arms about so much i would just go and throw some stuff about - thats free (and holds much less risk of destroying a £1200 HDTV)
    Well done, your points lack total originality. I don't find the Wii nor the controls tiresome since December; I'm quite capable of not swinging my control all over the place. Infact, the controls are much more comfortable, and reflexable in comparison. But the funny thing is, most of the games don't require aggressive swinging, so stop basing your facts from what you read.

Now your last sentence made me laugh. You say you would rather throw something that's free, but then straight after, you talk about a God damn overly priced HDTV which you could get 6 Wiis for. Let’s hope someone doesn't make a similar mistake by slipping over a banana peel. :rolleyes:
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member

Now that's just not on! Definetly Not Fair!

...the Slinky has two tricks! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Well done, your points lack total originality. I don't find the Wii nor the controls tiresome since December; I'm quite capable of not swinging my control all over the place. Infact, the controls are much more comfortable, and reflexable in comparison. But the funny thing is, most of the games don't require aggressive swinging, so stop basing your facts from what you read.

Now your last sentence made me laugh. You say you would rather throw something that's free, but then straight after, you talk about a God damn overly priced HDTV which you could get 6 Wiis for. Let’s hope someone doesn't make a similar mistake by slipping over a banana peel. :rolleyes:

im sorry, i didnt realise we got marked on orginality, i might add ive not seen my post anywhere else anyway. I had a Wii, and it got boring FAST. The same for 4 other people i know, and luckily CeX's bizarre pricing meant that we actually made a lot of money selling them. Ironically enough, my TV hasnt got boring - its expensive, not over-priced, mainly down to the fact its not a novelty. i tend to use it a lot everyday, so its better value than the Wii IMO - which is only any use if a) you have company and b)they are'nt completely bored of it after a month. im not basing anything on what i read, im basing it on the fact that the strap on my pad snapped and (luckily) missed my tele by about 2 cm. Good for you if your capable of swinging a pad, but maybe you should cope with the fact people have legitimate reason for actually thinking the Wii isnt the greatest innovation to hit gaming. Frankly i was messing around with that post, and you decided to take it all so seriously with your retort. Just because you enjoy it, does'nt make people who think its a bit shit incompetent, unable to operate a controller, naive for buying a HD TV or anything else, my comments were based on mine and others around me's experience of the Nintendo Wii. Same goes for Sixaxis, thats pretty bad too.

Stop basing *your facts* on nothing and go play on your wii. Ive got some pebbles need relocating
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Now that's just not on! Definetly Not Fair!

...the Slinky has two tricks! :D

you can use it as a biro pot :)

hang on have i just discovered a third use...........?
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Wii, and it got boring FAST.

Quite interested to know what console you got that didnt get boring fast ?? Sounds maybe you have a PS3 ???

....and you arent bored waiting on games coming out for that ??

If you say 360 then I need to laugh, as i'd think that would be pretty boring waiting delivery of a replacement console every few months.

It's all personal opinion and I respect your personal opinion that you dont like the Wii, but many do, including me. For me there are TOO many games out I want and cant afford, so no lack of games here, I need to be choosy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member

Resident evil 4 Wii...The best controlled game ive ever played...:cool:
  • neilusneilus Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Mudslide wrote: »
    Quite interested to know what console you got that didnt get boring fast ?? Sounds maybe you have a PS3 ???

If you say 360 then I need to laugh, as i'd think that would be pretty boring waiting delivery of a replacement console every few months.

It's all personal opinion and I respect your personal opinion that you dont like the Wii, but many do, including me. For me there are TOO many games out I want and cant afford, so no lack of games here, I need to be choosy.

Spoken like a true fanboy! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilus wrote: »
    Spoken like a true fanboy! :D

Oi :D
    I'm only a fan as I have one. If I had a 360 I'd probably be a fan of that too. I just think the Wii takes unfair criticism simply cos graphically it cant compete with the others. To me it's gameplay that matters and I'm convinced I have made the right choice (for my situation)
  • alexdn32alexdn32 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I work in a Retail store, Wii and X360 do very well , We cant bloody shift the PS3. The Wii is the one I prefer, but as a second console it would have to be the PS2. Graphics mean nothing, I would rather like to have a bit of fun with it . My partner is also a great fan of it aswell. Had the Wii since December when it came out and still play on it as much now. We are still competitive on it and it even gets the family involved when they come to visit . Put an X360 / PS3 in front of my / her family they will just pass and say can we watch TV.

So thats why the Wii is outselling X360 / PS3.

Plus the price tag on PS3 puts me right off too!

Call me a Fanboy , I Don't care, I'm Happy with what i have.
    I also do own a PS2, DS , GC and an Atari. So a range of companies!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We (Argos) sell out of Wii's every day...we have got about 15 in this week and all are gone. We've had Xbox 360's from launch, and ps3's that are still sittin' there.

Interesting thing happened in Argos today.

We got a briefing that Microsoft shipped 240 units to our stores all over the country that had the 2-pin plugs as opposed to the 3-pin plugs.

The best part?....they told us to sell them as normal and when a customer calls back saying the plug is wrong to give them the number of a newly set up helpline!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    :D
    ntl:rocks wrote: »

We got a briefing that Microsoft shipped 240 units to our stores all over the country that had the 2-pin plugs as opposed to the 3-pin plugs.

The best part?....they told us to sell them as normal and when a customer calls back saying the plug is wrong to give them the number of a newly set up helpline!

lol at this, but you probabl shouldnt have posted that, i sense a lot of MS abuse coming:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Imagine the disappointment when you get home and open the box. :(
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We (Argos) sell out of Wii's every day...we have got about 15 in this week and all are gone. We've had Xbox 360's from launch, and ps3's that are still sittin' there.

Isn't there some law against knowingly selling faulty stuff? if not then there should be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii sports is a laugh, Excite Truck is also really good once you get the controls down so they're second nature and RE4 is brilliant with the wii controls. Those are the games I've played, I play for half an hour to an hour every other day and that's fine for me - as it seems to be for the people who are buying them - the kind of people who don't want to spend hours and hours everyday on their own playing some game regardless of the quality of graphics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mudslide wrote: »

i dont have a ps3, for now they are an expensive waste of space for the exact reason you said - no games. I had one, and its the most disapointing console ive ever owned. Ive actually got a 360. Had a ps1 and a ps2, had no interest in the Xbox, and then got a 360 sick of waiting for the PS3. Ive not been much interested in nintendo since the SNES, although my girlfriend has a DS which i think is a lot of fun, and better value than the PSP. I didnt expect much from the 360, but it turned out to be the better console this generation IMO. I personally just found the Wii to be pretty shallow, and its shared by everyone else i know as well. That obviously doesnt make it true, i just think the Wii is overated

i wouldnt consider myself a fanboy of any console, im more interested in the games. And i think thats why i enjoy the 360 so much, because it made me play games i normally wouldnt bother with, and therefore i got a fresh experience. I didnt feel that with the ps3 or the wii, and i have no interest in Blueray. Also for a significant amount of time the wii didnt have a single game rated above 7 tops, which isnt very encouraging. It may have some great games out, but even nintendo have commented that it likely has a very short shelf life

you do seem to mistaking a problem with some consoles for a fact on all consoles - know 11 people with a a 360, and only one has had a problem. Ive had mine well over a year and no problems, and most the other people are the same. My housemate had to get his replaced, and that took less than a week and was free. Thats not really a big deal is it - and even if mine had to be repaired i wouldnt be bothered. Im grown up enough to last a week or two without a games console - half the time i dont have time to play on it as it is.

As for argos and the two pin xboxs, rather than set up a helpline (which assumeably is designed to send out 3 pin plugs....you would have thought MS would just tell argos to bung a pc power cable in as its the same fitting, and settle the difference. Would make life easier for all three parties i would have thought
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    even nintendo have commented that it likely has a very short shelf life.

Not with these!

I think that when the wii gets Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart it might become a more interesting prospect to me – I’ve just been looking at some screen shots of them and I must admit they look really good.

you do seem to mistaking a problem with some consoles for a fact on all consoles - know 11 people with a a 360, and only one has had a problem. Ive had mine well over a year and no problems, and most the other people are the same. My housemate had to get his replaced, and that took less than a week and was free. Thats not really a big deal is it.

You and your mates are the lucky ones believe me! I know loads of folk that have had no end of trouble (also check elsewhere on these forums).

I think it is a big deal that MS has released a console without rigorously testing it first and disappointing a lot of people. You're right the games are great but most of my mates are terrified to play them for more than an hour at a time! A mates brother has had to buy three copies of Oblivion due to the 360 scratching the disc and then when he eventually sent it back to MS it got the three red lights a couple of weeks later!

It Seems that with the Elite they might have sorted the problem but it’s still one of the worst scandals to hit gaming and a total PR disaster.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a pc, so wouldn't normally touch consoles, however the wii is fun and has some good games (wario, resident evil 4, the godfather) and I still play it!