There is more vinyl than CDs just now!

1235»

Comments

• vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Then why are people still so nostalgic and sentimental over the format?

because there's clearly still a demand for music in a physical format. Im just puzzled some want a format - vinyl - that was replaced by what generally was seen as a better one - cd. The reason why vinyl lost the battle with cd so fast

Im nostalgic and sentimental about my 7 inch single collection...until i play them and then the crackles etc remind me why i was only too glad to ditch them for cd singles.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rob_knight wrote: »
    If you seriously think streaming can sound better than vinyl then you need your hearing tested!!

no i don't. if you think it's not true then you need to read up on it unless you want to have incorrect ideas about it

note that i didn't say it can sound better. what "sounds better" is subjective and up to an individual. what i did say is streaming can have higher quality sound, which is factually correct
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because there's clearly still a demand for music in a physical format. Im just puzzled some want a format - vinyl - that was replaced by what generally was seen as a better one - cd. The reason why vinyl lost the battle with cd so fast.

The overall trend from shellac to streaming is for better quality and less intrusive systems. We've gone from bulky gramophones to small wireless speakers, via music centres, rack systems, separates etc. But at the same time we've had other shorter trends, essentially fashions, and vinyl and CD are fashion products as well as music products. At the moment vinyl is fashionable. It also sounds pretty good on the right equipment, whereas in the 80s when CDs were first fashionable they often sounded rather ropey. Some would argue the wheel has come full circle and over-compressed modern CDs are less faithful to the original sound than vinyl.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    to small wireless speakers
    I am not sure how the heck these things are supposed to give the same full-range, room filling experience of good old fashioned floor-standers with plenty of space inside for the speakers so breathe?

At most I think would like an add on way to easily relay music being played on my main hi-fi in my living room to my smaller bedroom stereo.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because there's clearly still a demand for music in a physical format. Im just puzzled some want a format - vinyl - that was replaced by what generally was seen as a better one - cd. The reason why vinyl lost the battle with cd so fast

Im nostalgic and sentimental about my 7 inch single collection...until i play them and then the crackles etc remind me why i was only too glad to ditch them for cd singles.

For me, it's all about selecting a record from the title cards, putting in a coin and pressing the buttons and hearing the click of the latch solenoid disengaging.
    Then the whir of the carousel and the noise of the gripper arm placing the record on the turntable. Followed by the tone arm landing on the track-in area and the amplifier mute coming off.
    Then the anticipation as the stylus tracks in with the occasional click from minor scratches before you hear an old favourite via two 12" and two 8" speakers.

Sheer nostalgia.

My little camera can't do this justice, the bass on this is phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaVfQT84S8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The overall trend from shellac to streaming is for better quality and less intrusive systems. We've gone from bulky gramophones to small wireless speakers, via music centres, rack systems, separates etc. But at the same time we've had other shorter trends, essentially fashions, and vinyl and CD are fashion products as well as music products. At the moment vinyl is fashionable. It also sounds pretty good on the right equipment, whereas in the 80s when CDs were first fashionable they often sounded rather ropey. Some would argue the wheel has come full circle and over-compressed modern CDs are less faithful to the original sound than vinyl.

Less intrusive, sure. But better quality? I'm not sure that many digital systems will output better quality than a vinyl system. Obviously, it depends on each set-up, but on the whole, digital is more about convenience than quality.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Better than the mp3 version of a track played on my PMP through a pair of cheap and cheerful earbuds? Almost certainly.

Better than the a high resolution stream or download played through the same audiophile quality amp and speakers as the vinyl? I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Less intrusive, sure. But better quality? I'm not sure that many digital systems will output better quality than a vinyl system. Obviously, it depends on each set-up, but on the whole, digital is more about convenience than quality.

I agree, but high-quality vinyl systems have never been that popular. Dansettes, music centres, Crosleys etc have been the mass-market products.

I have a UE wireless speaker about the size of a can of baked beans. It produces remarkably good sound for its size, clean, undistorted and what little bass it reproduces sounds natural not overblown and boomy. I far prefer my vinyl system but I can't take that into the kitchen every time I want to listen to music whilst cooking etc.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but high-quality vinyl systems have never been that popular. Dansettes, music centres, Crosleys etc have been the mass-market products.

I have a UE wireless speaker about the size of a can of baked beans. It produces remarkably good sound for its size, clean, undistorted and what little bass it reproduces sounds natural not overblown and boomy. I far prefer my vinyl system but I can't take that into the kitchen every time I want to listen to music whilst cooking etc.

"Back in the day," when I was a teenager and used to have my Trio amp, plus turntable and speakers, there were some pop records that seemed to sound best played on a Dansette, the record player of choice for several teenage female friends.

As I recall this was one off them. (Not my choice of pop).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Uo1nNt6LU
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rob_knight wrote: »
    If you seriously think streaming can sound better than vinyl then you need your hearing tested!!

Live Streaming can't but offline mode can . 320k offline streams are practically equal to CD and that's the best way to listen to Spotify etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Back in the day," when I was a teenager and used to have my Trio amp, plus turntable and speakers, there were some pop records that seemed to sound best played on a Dansette
    Probably mixed and mastered to sound good on cheap equipment. The same reason some songs today have no dynamic range and overblown bass, so they sound good on mobile phones.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably mixed and mastered to sound good on cheap equipment. The same reason some songs today have no dynamic range and overblown bass, so they sound good on mobile phones.

That was also the problem with a lot of CDs in the '80s and '90s, they were often mastered to sound "good" on a boombox.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thorney wrote: »
    Live Streaming can't but offline mode can . 320k offline streams are practically equal to CD and that's the best way to listen to Spotify etc

tidal streams lossless, so the same quality as CD

streaming doesn't always mean from "online" or the internet either, you can stream HD audio or video from your PC to your media player