TNA Wrestling (US Pace, Un-Tagged Spoilers)

Comments

• DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I read the report and it was a fun read but there were a few things I didn't agree with. It's usually subjective with wrestling, unless it's really flawed like WCW in the summer of 2000 or RVD being badly injured by "Janice" then returning quickly without a mark on him.

Abyss ruining the X division match was a statement the division is dead and to make sure there is no number 1 contender; guessing the network will book a 3 way at the PPV.

They're burying the division too much. They're making all the x division guys look like morons. This stupid stuff was done in WCW when Steiner used to beat up 2 cruiseweights at a time.
    Joe is targetting Crimson because of the admittedly flawed undefeated streak angle.

The Muta/Sting :D match wasn't Russo killing a company. Anderson lost after being blinded and a cheap small package. Decent TV match. He wasn't buried, Young got some exposure and the world champion looked like the hero. I can see the issue in having the PPV challenger being pinned, but like I say it was very cheap.

Anderson is the No.1 contender for the World Title. He shouldn't be doing comedy matches and losing to a bottom end guy like Young.
    Hardy has been booked very strongly in TNA so he shouldn't do the clean job in anything under 5 minutes. Basic filler match but it served its purpose of pushing Crimson.

I like most of the Jarrett/Angle story and the soap opera aspects haven't been bad or poorly acted, with some comedic moments. The angle this week seemed ok to me and they gave it enough time to be effective. The reviewer said nobody buys it but the same can be said for any feud in wrestling thesedays with a soapy content.

The Angle Jarrett stuff has had some decent bits, however the angle has been booked backwards. Your suppose to start with a normal match and then as things happen you add stipulations or gimmick matches. Not the other way around.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy Dreamer has also gone, according to his twitter.

This is now ironic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfGySha9uw
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    A 30-second Google search will turn up plenty of balanced reviews of TNA from Mr. Hamlin, in which he praises the stuff worth praising.

He reviews the show for the Wrestling Observer, it's sort of his job.

If you really have a problem with what he said, why not offer up an alternate opinion instead of dismissing him as a troll because he didn't like some of the shitty booking in TNA?
    Are you saying that because its his job he isnt biased at all? The Wrestling Observer shits over TNA all the time, sometimes fairly but mostly not. Its pretty much website policy.

If you want my opinions then:

- Anderson is doing a good job impersonating Sting and the match with Eric Young was fine with the cheap finish
    - Crimson was booked strong over Matt Hardy but it didnt dent Hardy too much, who himself has been booked very well
    - Kendrick and Kazarian has a good match followed by a good beatdown by Abyss to further the X-Division storyline

but its best to over analysis anything you watch on TV as the more you do, the more you lose enjoyment,
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Are you saying that because its his job he isnt biased at all? The Wrestling Observer shits over TNA all the time, sometimes fairly but mostly not. Its pretty much website policy.
    No, I'm saying it's a bit churlish to criticise him for watching a show he doesn't like.
    - Anderson is doing a good job impersonating Sting
    Damning with faint praise.
    but its best to over analysis anything you watch on TV as the more you do, the more you lose enjoyment,
    I think he's analysing the show to understand why he's not enjoying it in the first place.

Besides, if thinking about what you're watching causes you to lose enjoyment then it's clearly not much good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you really have a problem with what he said, why not offer up an alternate opinion instead of dismissing him as a troll because he didn't like some of the shitty booking in TNA?

This^^^

The guy is just offering an opinion, its not right, its not wrong, its just his views on this weeks Impact. If you don't like it, then watch the show and form your own opinion, maybe even write your own review from your thoughts. I'm sure we'd all enjoy reading them
    Forum Member
    From Wrestling Observer Newsletter
    Right now there are a lot of creative issues as the Hulk Hogan/Eric Bischoff contingent is openly complaining about the writing of Vince Russo, but Russo is pretty much locked in place because Dixie Carter feels a loyalty to him. And there’s also Jeff Jarrett, who is frustrated with Russo after years of being the guy defending him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also says they knew Dreamer was done with the company when they had him go over AJ Styles at the last PPV. LOLTNA.
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    It also says they knew Dreamer was done with the company when they had him go over AJ Styles at the last PPV. LOLTNA.

Bravo TNA. :D
    Forum Member
    Great Impact this week.

Nice to see Gunner get the pin on Sting, seems they are making him look the real deal or the next big thing.

And Sting chokes Anderson to near death. Awesome finish.
    Forum Member
    Great Impact this week.

Nice to see Gunner get the pin on Sting, seems they are making him look the real deal or the next big thing.

And Sting chokes Anderson to near death. Awesome finish.

And having a low card guy like Gunner beating your World Champion helps build the Anderson vs Sting PPV main event how?

Jobbing both your Champ and your no.1 contender before the PPV is bloody stupid. Then again nobody buys PPV's, especially when you don't build to them.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't believe they had Gunner beat Sting!
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    And having a low card guy like Gunner beating your World Champion helps build the Anderson vs Sting PPV main event how?
    The last 3 minutes of Impact built towards the PPV match perfectly.

For years Internet fans criticise TNA for never pushing anyone young or new and then seemingly they are starting to push Gunner by having him pin Sting but are criticised for it.
    Then again nobody buys PPV's, especially when you don't build to them.
    They spent nearly the whole show building to the PPV but lets not miss out on giving TNA cheap shot. :)
    Forum Member
    The last 3 minutes of Impact built towards the PPV match perfectly.

For years Internet fans criticise TNA for never pushing anyone young or new and then seemingly they are starting to push Gunner by having him pin Sting but are criticised for it.

They spent nearly the whole show building to the PPV but lets not miss out on giving TNA cheap shot. :)

Time and the place is everything. Sting and Anderson are building to a PPV Main event, so both have to be kept strong. Jobbing them out on successive Impacts doesn't do that. Also having Sting beat the hell out of Anderson was stupid. Why would you pay to see the PPV when Anderson has already been embarrassed?

Lets look at the card for the PPV

From Impact Wrestling.com
    SLAMMIVERSARY MATCH LINEUP

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    Mr. Anderson vs. champion Sting

THE FINAL BATTLE
    Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle

Jarrett vs Angle has been booked backwards. The promo Jarrett cut on Impact was good, but it was a babyface promo as he's the heel so the dynamic is messed about.

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    Tag Team Championship: British Invasion vs. James Storm and Alex Shelley

Stand Russo feuding partners stuff. (Shouldn't the name of the team be Beer Machine, considering Storm isn't the money of the team, but then again Roode is suppose to be poor now as well). Why are British Invasion getting a Title Shot? Are they on a win streak? I can't remember (seriously)?

X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
    Kendrick vs. champion Abyss vs. Kazarian

2 Babyface X division guys against 1 heel. They win, and it makes them look like they only won due to the man advantage. They lose, and they look like muppets who couldn't beat one guy.

LAST MAN STANDING
    Bully Ray vs. AJ Styles

Good stuff. This has been one of the better feuds, but again having a d*ck heel get beat before the show takes away the heat from the match. If anyone should beat Bully Ray, it should be AJ at the PPV.

KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP
    Angelina Love vs. champion Mickie James

Horrible zombie gimmick. On Impact Angelina, the heel, wanted to fight Mickie and Mickie didn't tag in. She's suppose to be the babyface. Babyfaces are suppose to be up for the fight.

Also announced for Slammiversary:
    Crimson vs. Samoa Joe
    Matt Morgan vs. Scott Steiner

Crimson and Samoa Joe had a terrible fight in a bar, which you couldn't really make out and the sound was constantly beeped due to swearing. Meh.

Morgan and Steiner weren't on the show??

More to be announced

So they haven't finished the card?
    Forum Member
    Time and the place is everything. Sting and Anderson are building to a PPV Main event, so both have to be kept strong. Jobbing them out on successive Impacts doesn't do that. Also having Sting beat the hell out of Anderson was stupid. Why would you pay to see the PPV when Anderson has already been embarrassed?
    They werent jobbed out, they weren't pinned clean without any interference.

The PPV card is pretty strong.

- Sting vs Anderson has been built well over the last few months.
    - Jarrett vs Angle is the final match in a great storyline spanning months.
    - The Tag match I agree it doesnt really add up why British Invasion are getting the shot but they're a good team and I would rather seem then than Ink Inc or Mexican America.
    - X Division match is building towards a big PPV and pay-off.
    - Bully Ray vs Styles has been a great feud and build-up.
    - Knockouts, not really fussed has been OK. Angelina gimmick is silly though.
    - Crimson vs Joe's bar brawl was great, what didnt you like about it?
    - Morgan vs Steiner is a nothing match really, I doubt anyone cares.

Pretty strong card, 3/4 matches im really looking forward too.
  • eastieeastie Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    was Maadison Rayne on impact this week? She seems to of dissapeared lately!
    Forum Member
    They werent jobbed out, they weren't pinned clean without any interference.

It was Young that was distracted in his match with Anderson and Young still won.

Sting looked like an idiot by the way he was pinned. TNA did play up the fact that it was a huge win only for Anderson later in the show to laugh about Sting getting pinned "by Gunner who is nowhere near as good as Sting." So even if the idea was to elevate him, they kicked him down straight afterwards.

Either way, you don't build to your main event, by having both guys in the match lose, especially to prelim guys.
    The PPV card is pretty strong.

- Sting vs Anderson has been built well over the last few months.

These has been some poor stuff in the build up, including the stuff the last 2 weeks. Anderson is fairly horrible imo.
    - Jarrett vs Angle is the final match in a great storyline spanning months.

There's has been some good stuff in the build, but it's been done backwards. The Jarrett promo, which was good, was babyface like when he is suppose to be the heel.
    - The Tag match I agree it doesnt really add up why British Invasion are getting the shot but they're a good team and I would rather seem then than Ink Inc or Mexican America.

They even said in commentary with the BI, why are you getting a shot? You haven't wrestled many people recently. It's just stupid.
    - X Division match is building towards a big PPV and pay-off.

Like I said, this is stupid. 2 babyfaces, 1 heel. If they win, they beat 1 man with a man advantage. If he wins, they come off as idiots by not being able to win with a man advantage.
    - Bully Ray vs Styles has been a great feud and build-up.

Bully Ray is a good heel. Didn't agree with him losing on Impact. He should be kept strong until the PPV, so people might actually pay for the show to see AJ beat him.
    - Knockouts, not really fussed has been OK. Angelina gimmick is silly though.

The Zombie thing is just wacky. Also the whole Mickie James not tagging in after being challenged wasn't what a babyface should do.
    - Crimson vs Joe's bar brawl was great, what didnt you like about it?

The footage was kindof uinwatchable. I understand the realism aspect to it, but the video combined with the constant bleeping of the swearing made it horrible to watch imo.
    - Morgan vs Steiner is a nothing match really, I doubt anyone cares.

Yeah, it's a bit meh.

Pretty strong card, 3/4 matches im really looking forward too.[/QUOTE]

There should be some good matches, but the angles and build up I think will stop people from watching. I noticed that Impact did a 1.0 this week, so it's ratings have decreased in recent weeks, so it appears the build up isn't gripping viewers.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bischoff was interviewed recently though and said that their ratings have declined the past few weeks as they've been head-to-head with the NBA finals. Apparently Spike sent him an email saying they're outperforming UFC,and were the No. 1 rated show in their timeslot (although Americans have a weird, categorised rating system so there's probably more to it than that).

Btw the reason for Gunner pinning Sting is that the current plan is for Gunner, Robert Roode and Crimson to be elevated to the main event scene, possibly alongside Matt Morgan as well. So much for TNA not pushing new guys :rolleyes: Although having said that I'm not sold on Gunner, but the rest are pretty good, particularly Roode and Morgan.

Bischoff has also said that from next week's Impact they will start some plans for Bound For Glory. Yet another reason I think Anderson will go over Sting.
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Bischoff was interviewed recently though and said that their ratings have declined the past few weeks as they've been head-to-head with the NBA finals. Apparently Spike sent him an email saying they're outperforming UFC,and were the No. 1 rated show in their timeslot (although Americans have a weird, categorised rating system so there's probably more to it than that).

Yeah, I head that as well. It reminds me of the WWE putting up those graphics between breaks that have multiple perameters that only there shows can win.

The UFC usually has ratings in and around TNA's ratings, however UFC convert a large percentage of their fans into paying customers.
    Btw the reason for Gunner pinning Sting is that the current plan is for Gunner, Robert Roode and Crimson to be elevated to the main event scene, possibly alongside Matt Morgan as well. So much for TNA not pushing new guys :rolleyes: Although having said that I'm not sold on Gunner, but the rest are pretty good, particularly Roode and Morgan.

Cool. It's important for companies to push new guys. Out of those three guys, only Roode is a potential top guy, but that's just personal preference. The problem I have with Gunner going over Sting is doing it on the go home show for the PPV. Doesn't exactly help build your main event.
    Bischoff has also said that from next week's Impact they will start some plans for Bound For Glory. Yet another reason I think Anderson will go over Sting.

I'm curious to see when they think Sting has had enough. Watching him run at the end of Impact was kindof sad to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That'd be the UFC that had 8.5 million plus $55 pay per view buys in North America last year.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'd be the UFC that had 8.5 million plus $55 pay per view buys in North America last year.

Ssshhh

Eric Bischoff is right. TNA are performing wonderfully. They haven't at all been static, had some of the worst booking since WWF's mid 90s or clearly peaked in ratings and made a loss at most PPV's.

Don't hand your company over to the serial entrepreneur Bischoff and Hogan, who will do anything for cash and would book himself over anyone until the day he dies.

I want TNA to succeed but the signs are not good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You cannot compare the buyrates of genuine sports to the buyrates of an entertainment product. Contrary to popular belief, the audiences of UFC and professional wrestling aren't the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm curious to see when they think Sting has had enough. Watching him run at the end of Impact was kindof sad to watch.

I suspect we will see Sting/Hogan at BFG with both men (hopefully) retiring from the ring after it.
  • decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot compare the buyrates of genuine sports to the buyrates of an entertainment product. Contrary to popular belief, the audiences of UFC and professional wrestling aren't the same.

So why is Spike TV and Bischoff comparing viewing figures for the TV shows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why is Spike TV and Bischoff comparing viewing figures for the TV shows?

SpikeTV isn't measuring TNA's success rate against UFC. Bischoff's comparison has to be placed in the context of a rant against the IWC,
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Well none of you can prove him wrong can you? If you any of you really knew what you were talking about and understood all the things involved in US TV ratings you would have picked it apart and gave your own opinions which is why most news sites probably aren't saying anything because he probably is right in what he is saying.

And no you can't compare buyrates from the UFC to wrestling simply because wrestling buyrates are nowhere near the UFC's. In the 1980's and 1990's you could prove that entertainment could outdraw a real sport because wrestling regularly outdrew boxing events but the UFC is a different thing altogether and hasn't been around all that long in the grand scheme of things, give it 10 years and see how well it is doing or how many of their performers are even able to perform.