Options

Sunday trading laws before Christmas

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
You'd think that if the government lifted Sunday trading laws for 8 weeks during the olympics all over the country, even though most of it was in London, they'd relax them on the last Sunday before Christmas. Every year, come 4pm, packed stores have to close. It's ridiculous, especially on this Sunday. It really is time they were scrapped, why the hell should religion dictate how business works in this day and age? They should just stick two fingers up to it and open when they want, would anyone bother fining them?

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    You'd think that if the government lifted Sunday trading laws for 8 weeks during the olympics all over the country, even though most of it was in London, they'd relax them on the last Sunday before Christmas. Every year, come 4pm, packed stores have to close. It's ridiculous, especially on this Sunday. It really is time they were scrapped, why the hell should religion dictate how business works in this day and age? They should just stick two fingers up to it and open when they want, would anyone bother fining them?

Yes they would get a fine.
    Opus Foods, in Foleshill Road, had been the subject of multiple complaints

A Coventry supermarket has been fined £10,000 after flouting Sunday opening hours restrictions.

Opus Foods, in Foleshill Road, had been the subject of multiple complaints to Coventry City Council in relation to its Sunday trading hours since it opened in July 2011.

Evidence of continuing offences was obtained by the council and the shop was sent several warning letters.

However, no progress was made and as a result the council monitored activity at the shop on Sunday, May 19 and again on July 28, 2013. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coventrytelegraph.net%2Fnews%2Fcoventry-news%2Fcoventry-supermarket-fined-10000-breaking-6663525&ei=C_2WVIL9BsP6Uvu0gaAL&usg=AFQjCNG3U03EwhZG4ptxzZ-SV5glSPtaSw&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d24
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »

IS it beyond reason that we could possibly have just one day per week without shops being open? Other countries manage, we used to. Do we have to be able to shop every day?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    IS it beyond reason that we could possibly have just one day per week without shops being open? Other countries manage, we used to. Do we have to be able to shop every day?

Some people only get sunday off I know someone who works as a carer and have to do all their shopping on Sunday as it's her only day off.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

But why not have the choice?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    But why not have the choice?

Because the law says they dont have a choice.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In most villages and many towns, shops were closed on Sundays and Wednesday afternoons. The current Sunday trading law was an attempt at protecting the income of smaller high street and convenience shops from the supermarket dominance. Shops up to 280 square metres are not subject to Sunday trading and Xmas/Easter closing.
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Because the law says they dont have a choice.

Laws can be changed.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    Laws can be changed.

Oh its going to be fun for retail staff when they're doing 12 hour shifts 7 days a week aint it? its there to give them at least some chance of a bit of a rest
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Oh its going to be fun for retail staff when they're doing 12 hour shifts 7 days a week aint it? its there to give them at least some chance of a bit of a rest

or have more employees and shifts
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Why not? My American friends when they come over moan about the shops shutting at 4pm on a Sunday. They also moan about the bus service and the lack of frequent buses.

I have often found 4pm is far too early when modern lives are extremely busy. They do need to have later hours on a Sunday to make things easier still.

I always find Sundays a mad rush to get everything done.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They stay open late every Sunday in Scotland.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people only get sunday off I know someone who works as a carer and have to do all their shopping on Sunday as it's her only day off.

And the shops are open for 6 hours, longer if you are less than 3000 square feet. To me the shopping hours do not need to be extended .

Also in the USA there are Sunday trading restrictions in most states, some areas prohibit any trading , some ban the sale of alcohol . One of the largest shopping areas of New York ( Bergen) completely prohibits Sunday opening.
    Why not? My American friends when they come over moan about the shops shutting at 4pm on a Sunday. They also moan about the bus service and the lack of frequent buses.

I have often found 4pm is far too early when modern lives are extremely busy. They do need to have later hours on a Sunday to make things easier still.

I always find Sundays a mad rush to get everything done.

If a shop shuts at 4pm then they are doing so by choice as the hours are 6 trading hours between 10am and 6pm, so if they feel their customers would prefer later then they could open 12 to 6. With the amount of shopping hours available per week and online shopping I really do not feel we need to extend general shopping hours on a Sunday .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    Laws can be changed.

Shops are open 7 days and longer than they used to be plus onlone shopping how long do shops have to be open. Well yes laws can be changed but there has to be a very good reason for doing so, and having a choice is not always a very good reason for changing laws. When the law was changed so the shops could open the shops agreed to the terms of agreement. I cannot see any reason to change the law
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might as well mandate all shops have to open 24x7....can't get complained at if you open it like Apu

I'm sure the police are happy for the closed times as last thing they want is drunks at probably 2am tonight demanding they can get their booze and threatening staff so they have at least one night of rest
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know 6 hours isn't really long enough, not forgetting the fact smaller shops can open as much as they want if they so choose (guess what they choose not too)...and 24 hour supermarkets in most towns (except one day excluding the public holidays)...and in addition we have 24 hour internet shopping all year round...we really don't have enough shopping hours and this Country and it's people just can't cope.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I know 6 hours isn't really long enough, not forgetting the fact smaller shops can open as much as they want if they so choose (guess what they choose not too)...and 24 hour supermarkets in most towns (except one day excluding the public holidays)...and in addition we have 24 hour internet shopping all year round...we really don't have enough shopping hours and this Country and it's people just can't cope.

I find with many things is that people just want it because they want it rather than need it they forget how much more it costs to open extra hours and that sales get spilt over the week so it eats into profits as people cannot spend more , it also means less hours closed for essential repairs and maintenance. Our local Sainsbury went 24 hours and after six months went back to 8am to midnight as it was not viable and that's in central London .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I find with many things is that people just want it because they want it rather than need it they forget how much more it costs to open extra hours and that sales get spilt over the week so it eats into profits as people cannot spend more , it also means less hours closed for essential repairs and maintenance. Our local Sainsbury went 24 hours and after six months went back to 8am to midnight as it was not viable and that's in central London .

The local ASDA did that too as drug dealers were in the lavatories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

I believe our local ASDA is also set to change it's hours and will no longer be 24 hours. Our local Morrison's has never been 24 hours and that has coped just fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Tts alright going about consumer greed but what about corporate retail greed?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most shopping places I've visited in the USA are only open about 6 hours on a Sunday so I don't see what their issue is? And as for bus services, I really don't see how Americans can say anything either when you consider many places in the USA have very poor (or if any) public transport!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »

There's always someone who has to point this out isn't there? Obviously this is about England and Wales, quite a large chunk of the UK!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Most shopping places I've visited in the USA are only open about 6 hours on a Sunday so I don't see what their issue is? And as for bus services, I really don't see how Americans can say anything either when you consider many places in the USA have very poor (or if any) public transport!

They were saying that King Soopers was open for longer on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »

You will probably find a vast majority of shops in England & Wales could open longer if they so choose, yet they don't...the only exception for big name businesses I have found is Argos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Shops are open 7 days and longer than they used to be plus onlone shopping how long do shops have to be open. Well yes laws can be changed but there has to be a very good reason for doing so, and having a choice is not always a very good reason for changing laws. When the law was changed so the shops could open the shops agreed to the terms of agreement. I cannot see any reason to change the law

But there's no good reason for having the law in the first place. All it restricts is how long customers can purchase from stores. It doesn't restrict how long staff have to work and indeed they do work when the store is closed, stocking shelves cleaning etc. The law isn't to give staff some rest, it only exists because of pressure from Christian groups who have a bee in their bonnet about Sundays.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    You will probably find a vast majority of shops in England & Wales could open longer if they so choose, yet they don't...the only exception for big name businesses I have found is Argos.

Tesco, ASDA and Sainsburys all have branches in Edinburgh which are fully 24/7 - they never close. Though I think they have to renew their licence each yherar and the drink aisles are closed off during the night.