Options

Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Button is such a boring driver compared with the likes of Hamilton and co.....I cant believe McLaren have given us McLaren fans Button to watch again overtaking no one and 'looking after his tyres'....
    I'm sure McLaren would prefer double the points and a boring driver to an exciting one who scores a lot fewer points. Magnussen would be totally shown up by Alonso if they were team mates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Good news :)

Looks as if some folk ran out of time to come up with convincing reasons not to keep Button.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    What?
    Beat him one year out of 3? :p

...and outscore him across those three seasons. Actually I expect Alonso to beat Button but not by a huge margin and I'm sure there'll be some tight battles in the course of the season that Button wins. It'll certainly be an interesting dynamic between the two drivers and the senior team personnel. Button must have the mechanics in his pocket by now but Alonso clearly has Dennis and Boullier on his side. If things get close on track it will make for a very interesting pit garage.
  • Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think i team of old dogs and former champs is refreshing button has allways been underated.two of the best and respected drivers is a good move for maclaren
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    ...and outscore him across those three seasons. Actually I expect Alonso to beat Button but not by a huge margin and I'm sure there'll be some tight battles in the course of the season that Button wins. It'll certainly be an interesting dynamic between the two drivers and the senior team personnel. Button must have the mechanics in his pocket by now but Alonso clearly has Dennis and Boullier on his side. If things get close on track it will make for a very interesting pit garage.

On the basis of the number of letters in their names, Lewis Hamilton comes out ahead of Jenson Button.

Course, that'd be a pretty retarded way to quantify things so it's probably best if we just stick to using the same system the FIA do.
    Still, 2-1 to Hamilton isn't anything for Button to be ashamed of.

If there's a problem with pairing Alonso and Button together it'll probably be that they're a bit too similar so they'll both want to run similar set-ups and strategies etc and they might trip over each other and there won't be much opportunity for Mclaren to mix things up by doing unexpected things.

Be interesting to see if either of them modify their driving.
    Consistency, rather than outright pace, has played a big part in both of their results in recent seasons so it'll be interesting to see if both of them carry on like that or whether one of them makes a deliberate decision to drive more aggressively.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am pleased that Jensen is staying in F1 at McLaren
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Be interesting to see if either of them modify their driving.

Alonso is known for his ability to adapt his driving style to suit a car or tyres.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe somebody can refresh my memory?

Did Magnussen do anything particularly spectacular this year?

I recall seeing Kvyat make that epic save in Monza, when his STR threw a wobbly, but I don't recall Magnussen having any similarly notable moments which might cause people to pay attention to him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's a decent enough driver but I just can't recall any particular "Blimey! that guy's got some skills" moments during this season, although it's certainly possible I've just forgotten them.

He defended well on several occasions and had a few impressive starts. I can't help but think, however, that both were as much to do with other drivers tolerating his immaturity rather than any individual skill. Personally I think Perez showed more natural ability in his first stint with McLaren.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good read here and how things might and increasingly look like they will change for 2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/12/11/ecclestone-says-f1-governors-handed-power-to-top-teams-for-40-million/2/
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Button is such a boring driver compared with the likes of Hamilton and co.....I cant believe McLaren have given us McLaren fans Button to watch again overtaking no one and 'looking after his tyres'....
    He didn't seem that "boring" when he was wheel-to-wheel with Hamilton, Alonso, Webber, Vettel etc.

The only "trouble" is that Button's smart enough to know that going balls-out isn't going to achieve much in the current McLaren and that his best chance for success is to drive within that car's capabilities in order to maximise points scored and so that's how he's been forced to drive for the last couple of years.

Stick him in a car that's got some speed and can take a bit of abuse and I'm sure he'd provide the required excitement.

What?
    Beat him one year out of 3? :p

I don't find Jensen boring. I do often find it frustrating that Jensen sometimes seems to take forever to overtake a slower car and occasionally passes up the possibility of a higher place by not chasing down lost causes. But, usually, his overall result leaves me thinking 'what do I know?'

His famous surge to win Canada was one of the most exciting drives I've seen, and included him putting both Hamilton and Alonso off the track - he is a very mature driver but well capable of sticking it to the best.

He and Alonso are actually my favourite drivers - so I shall look forward to 2015 despite the looming presence of Ron Dennis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    Alonso is known for his ability to adapt his driving style to suit a car or tyres.

That wasn't what I was thinking about, really.

It just seems like they're both drivers who understand the benefit of securing points even if that means "plodding" rather than battling.

I was just wondering if (assuming that McLaren don't make some huge leap in performance next year) one of them might feel compelled to arbitrarily adopt a different driving style simply to avoid ending up "doing the same as the other guy".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part 2 of Bernie interview.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/12/12/mclaren-f1-team-has-been-sold-says-ecclestone/2/

tldr: Dont expect live streaming any time soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Part 2 of Bernie interview.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/12/12/mclaren-f1-team-has-been-sold-says-ecclestone/2/

tldr: Dont expect live streaming any time soon.

He really is an utter lady garden.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprised nobody else has mentioned it; Congrat's to Lewis on getting SPOTY.

And good on him for taking Roscoe to the awards ceremony. :D
  • Options
    TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    "Mercedes plan to let team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg battle it out for the title again next season."

Absolute BS. It took one puncture from Rosberg to Hamilton and you "punished" him to the point of pressure at Monza.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I for one am pleased that Jensen is staying in F1 at McLaren

There wasn't much of a choice though was there.

Button is just an average driver who got lucky one year.

Vettel's another average driver who got lucky four times.

I reserve the right to back track next year if results prove otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TVScourge wrote: »
    "Mercedes plan to let team-mates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg battle it out for the title again next season."

Absolute BS. It took one puncture from Rosberg to Hamilton and you "punished" him to the point of pressure at Monza.

So what are you saying, Rosberg can't take pressure?
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was Lewis wearing the sorting hat from Potter on the Ross show?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bystander wrote: »
    There wasn't much of a choice though was there.

Button is just an average driver who got lucky one year.

Vettel's another average driver who got lucky four times.

I reserve the right to back track next year if results prove otherwise.

It's usually a rather futile exercise to speculate about this stuff because it's often a case of attempting to "compare apples with oranges" but it seems like one of the simplest criteria for judging a driver's performance is by looking at how their team-mate did.

In the case of this year, for example, the fact that both Merc' drivers finished 1-2 (with Rosberg finishing nearly 100 points ahead of Ricciardo in P3) certainly confirms that the car was a huge factor and that another driver might have also done well in that same car.

When we look at the results for 2009, however, we see that it was Vettel who finished behind Button and then Rubens finishing 3rd with Webber behind him.
    That would suggest that, good as the Brawn car was, Button was doing things with it that his team-mate failed to emulate.

Similar thing with Vettel too.
    There wasn't a year where the RBR drivers finished 1-2 in the championship.
    Every year Vettel won, it was a driver from a different team who finished in 2nd place rather than Vettel's team-mate.

If we assume that drivers like Vettel and Button are "average" (for an F1 driver, presumably) then we're left to conclude that their team-mates must be positively useless - which kinda makes you wonder how either of them continued to get a drive in F1 year after year.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a Vettel fan but he's not average. He has been good/very good driver, in a brilliant car (set up exactly how he likes it). I would say he's in the 2nd tier of drivers if Alonso & Hamilton are the top, bit of a shame he's a 4 time WDC, when have been many other better drivers will less titles, but such is life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's usually a rather futile exercise to speculate about this stuff because it's often a case of attempting to "compare apples with oranges" ...................

In which case, statistical cherry picking aside, we are left with just opinions.

Button won't be remembered as a great driver, he'll be remembered as a steady driver and from what I've read, the pit lane jury is still out regarding Vettel's qualities.

If my opinion is wrong about these two "average" drivers and they are both given good cars, then 2015 could be a very good year for F1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ................................If we assume that drivers like Vettel and Button are "average" (for an F1 driver, presumably) then we're left to conclude that their team-mates must be positively useless - which kinda makes you wonder how either of them continued to get a drive in F1 year after year.

Another parameter to consider, is how a driver copes with a car that doesn't suit them.

With this criteria, compared to their team-mate this year, you would then have to consider the likes of Vettel and Raikkonen to be positively useless.
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bystander wrote: »
    In which case, statistical cherry picking aside, we are left with just opinions.

Button won't be remembered as a great driver, he'll be remembered as a steady driver and from what I've read, the pit lane jury is still out regarding Vettel's qualities.

If my opinion is wrong about these two "average" drivers and they are both given good cars, then 2015 could be a very good year for F1.

Canada 2011
  • Options
    Forum Member
    uberman wrote: »
    Canada 2011

Indeed.

The unfortunate thing about Button is that, for the vast majority of his career, he's ended up in cars where his goal has always been to maximise points scored rather than indulge in spectacular battles for great victories.

Aside from his year at Brawn, his first year at McLaren was probably one of the best opportunities he had to "battle" and he aquitted himself rather well, if memory serves.

I'm not really a "fan" of either Button or Vettel but, even so, I don't have any problem giving them the respect they deserve for taking the car they were given and doing the best they could with it - in one case meaning maximising points or, in the other case, dominating the sport for four years.
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed.

The unfortunate thing about Button is that, for the vast majority of his career, he's ended up in cars where his goal has always been to maximise points scored rather than indulge in spectacular battles for great victories.

Aside from his year at Brawn, his first year at McLaren was probably one of the best opportunities he had to "battle" and he aquitted himself rather well, if memory serves.

I'm not really a "fan" of either Button or Vettel but, even so, I don't have any problem giving them the respect they deserve for taking the car they were given and doing the best they could with it - in one case meaning maximising points or, in the other case, dominating the sport for four years.

I don't get why so many ppl try to put Button down, they probably don't like his personality and let that cloud their judgement. No doubt Hamilton and Alonso are quicker in qualifying, but Buttons race craft and his tactical awareness can make up for it. I think Hamilton learned a lot from him when they were teammates.