Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    They do allow exceptions to the no WC to anyone under 250, because they let Kyle Edmund have one last year, but on the grounds that he is a promising junior whose rankings were on the rise, which is fair enough.

Lower ranked players have to make do with a WC for regular Wimbledon qualifying.

I quite like the idea of qualifying for a WC, just for Brits, but I'm not sure how that would work in practice with the tennis calendar. If you don't win the WC, can you still enter regular qualifying? I think if Britain had a healthy dose of players ranked 150-350, then that would be a great tournament to watch.

Well the Oz one was just played today, so there should be no problem them playing qualifying too.

I guess there maybe problems because there are other tournaments happening around the World when we'd have to play ours. This is dead-time for tennis in the World ATM, so it is convenient for Oz.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I was thinking it's the kind of thing they can do in Oz, because it comes after the break. They have the time in the off-season, and everyone knows well in advance what their approx rankings will be for the Australian Open.

It would be trickier to squeeze the equivalent into the calendar in the run up to Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think there's been an official date yet. She's not going to OZ, but there's a chance she could play some ITF's. soonish, but nothing concrete.

Thanks.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Thanks.:)

You're welcome, but it's really not much news, and I fret for her until I actually see her back on court. Such a talent, so nice and a Brit, but almost an whole year out, perhaps more, is a worry,
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura's been celebrating Christmas early with Sloane:

http://instagram.com/p/w34bQNNAOP/
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Eurosport are going to be showing the Hopman cup – with up to three hours highlights each afternoon repeated in the evening starting on Sunday 4 January at 3pm/7.15pm.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule.shtml

Murray and Watson are partnering up for GB – Serena is Teaming up with Jack Sock for the USA.

http://hopmancup.com/teams

Only 10 days to Abu Dhabi - and the start of the tennis season.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Eurosport are going to be showing the Hopman cup – with up to three hours highlights each afternoon repeated in the evening starting on Sunday 4 January at 3pm/7.15pm.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule.shtml

Murray and Watson are partnering up for GB – Serena is Teaming up with Jack Sock for the USA.

Only 10 days to Abu Dhabi - and the start of the tennis season.:D

Sock has pulled out, Serena will be playing with Isner now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sock has pulled out, Serena will be playing with Isner now.

I see Tsonga and Stepanek have pulled out too - Tsonga being replaced by Paire and Radek by Adam Pavlasek. Just hope Murray and Watson stay fit - as our options are rather limited for replacements!:D Murray could be playing in Abu Dhabi on Saturday 3 Jan - and then in Perth Australia (10 hours flying time away) on Monday 5th - jet lag a given.

Maybe the Hopman cup website should be updated with the revised teams!

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wimbledon news from last week that I missed: planning permission has been approved for the Court 1 roof:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2014-12-15/planning_applications_approved_for_no1_court_and_raynes_park.html

Due to be completed for the 2019 Championships (along with the repositioned courts at the north end of the grounds).
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to wish all the tennis thread posters a happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Good luck to all our favourites and let the games commence ( well, after the turkey...).
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to wish all the tennis thread posters a happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Good luck to all our favourites and let the games commence ( well, after the turkey...).

Especially Djoko! ;-)

Wishing everyone on the tennis thread a Merry Christmas and happiness and good health in 2015. Here's hoping we have lots of fine tennis to 'debate' next year. :D
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas Jewels. Wishing all my tennis buddies, a Merry Christmas, and a happy and healthy New Year!

Vamos Rafa in 2015!
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy festive season everyone.

On Monday spent an enjoyable few hours at the Bolton Arena watching a former pupil, Nick Nugent (supported by his dad who shares the taxi duties taking Nick all over the country with Nick's mum) playing in a top U18 Winter Tour British Tennis event.

Last time I saw Nick play was in the mini tennis tournaments we used to have at David Lloyd Raynes Park back in 2006 as part of the Surrey circuit, shortly before I had to give up my job / coaching due to bad knees.

Not only is Nick a whole lot bigger now but WOW, what a super player he has turned out to be.

He began his tennis in the programme I ran at Raynes Park when he was about 6 years old. He has moved on now and moved on a long way right up to #19 in the country.

On Monday, I watched him beat the #9 seed in a 2 and a half hour match before being told by the officials to be ready to play the Q/F in an hours time! (actually, that's how they run these events all the way through the age groups).

In that next match, he went down to the #1 seed (and #1 in the country), a player he has nontheless beaten before.

What a pleasure it was to watch Nick play at such a high standard with passion, resilience and a smart tactical head to come back from a set and 2-5 down in the first match to win in a 3rd set tie-break 7-1.

I'm now thinking of driving across to watch Nick again in a week or so when he travels to Sheffield for a British Tour event for all aspiring young male players (not just juniors), as his tennis journey continues.

Actually on view at Bolton were 8-12 each of the top U18 boys and girls in the nation and when you see the high standard they play at, it brings it home just what the levels are higher up for these young players to rise into the ATP and WTA rankings in any significant way.

I'd describe some / lots of the boys' play as ferocious.

In the context of all the long term development of the athlete theories involving such concepts as the 10,000 hours (or in tennis, 10,000 balls hit), Nick has pretty much completed those 10 years and gone from small kid starter to nationally ranked top junior.

How high he will go is obviously for the future although I reckon he wants to go as high / far as he can. And this is sort of consistent with the 10 years / 10,000 hours concept in that if a player goes through that process in the right way, it can place them in a position to then step up again and see how far they can go at the world level.

But it's a slog, a grind and a huge amount of work to get into position even to consider taking the next steps (as the likes of many others including Henman and Murray have done) and the levels and competitiveness that a player like Nick will experience as he attempts to rise upwards will increase and intensify with absolutely no certainty of success whatsoever.

I wish him the very best.

For anyone interested, Nick is the first player in this sequence followed by other top juniors who train at the Dukes Meadow club;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLkA01DJZIU&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread has been quiet - so its time for a wake up methinks!

Less than 3 days now until the tennis season starts again with the Abu Dhabi World championships - yes I know its only an exhibition!

Murray will now open the tennis season by playing Deliciano on New Years Day afternoon followed by Almagro against Stan the Man. Rafa and Novak play the winners on Friday - with finals and 3-4th place matches on Saturday. And all on Eurosport.

And then next week we have the Hopman Cup and ATP Qatar on Eurosport and I presume WTA Brisbane on BT Sport.

No tennis for ever it seems like - and its now its wall to wall coverage! And the Aussie open is only 3 weeks away.:D

http://www.mubadalawtc.com/News/NewsDetails/14-12-17/ALMAGRO_AND_LOPEZ_TO_REPLACE_TSONGA_AND_MONFILS_AT_MUBADALA_WORLD_TENNIS_CHAMPIONSHIP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And in lower definition I'm sure you can find online feeds of pretty much every main tour singles match (and ITF events though they may be static camera feeds).

It's a great time for following action across the globe. Raring to go now.
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Andy has signed with Under Armour
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excited for the new season. Wishing my fave players good luck, hope they don't dissapoint. Apparantly Del Po is still really struggling :(
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Especially Djoko! ;-)

Wishing everyone on the tennis thread a Merry Christmas and happiness and good health in 2015. Here's hoping we have lots of fine tennis to 'debate' next year. :D

I don't think I have the strength for more "debates" :p

I'll just say early on I hope a certain player respects the rules, doesn't pull any stunts and finally gets some tough draws ;-) I'll get that out of the way so we have a decent and less repetitive thread. Ill bite my tongue so hard it falls off, I promise :cool:

Happy New Year everyone :)

May Djoko, Rogi and Andy prosper, may Aga, Simona or Caro win a slam etc.
  • Options
    MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delpo's withdrawn from Brisbane according to their twitter page :-(
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy new year to everyone here are my yearly predictions for the grand slams

AO ROGER FEDERER - JUST THINK ROGER BEST CHANCE
    F0 NOVAK DJOCKVIC - HE HAS TO WIN THE FRENCH SO WHY NOT THIS YEAR
    WIM ANDY MURRAY - PLAYS WELL ON GRASS AND THINK HE WILL DO WELL
    US KEI NISKORIE - WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH AT THE END OF LAST YEAR AND WILL WIN A MAJOR ITS NOT IF JUST WHEN
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Andy has signed with Under Armour
    I hope the baggy orange shorts are just for training. Not a good look:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray has just won the first point and the first game of the 2015 tennis season. :D

Enjoy the next 11 months everyone - and be nice to each other!
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,283
    Forum Member
    Happy New Year tennis peeps! :)

All I want for 2015 is for Laura and Jamie's 'Rehab Club' to be finally put out of business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    happy new year !

good luck to Fran Schiavone, who has played 57 consecutive grand slam tournaments, and only needs five more for the womens world record
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first Order of Play of the 2015 season:

http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Fri-02-Jan.pdf

Surprising to see players like Shvedova and Date-Krumm in the qualies.
This discussion has been closed.