Has Sky1 been a freak kind of channel?

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
I wonder that if Sky1 has always been a freak kind of the channel over the years, it was US imports that just make it the most popular satellite/cable channel in the 90s.

Since digital TV launched, Sky1 has been squeezed out by more entertainment channels, their track record of original programming has been poor and with Sky buying Living and launching Atlantic, the channel has become the forgotten part of the broadcaster.

Comments

• kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use to watch Sky 1 for The Simpsons but I rarely watch it now ..... but all channels go through phases ... be from being one of the best to one of the worst and of course its down to personal tastes.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did have the only soap not on a terrestrial channel - the very clever Dream Team, that inspired later terrestrial shows like Footballers Wives and whosew cast went on to populate the bigger soaps like Corrie.

In the early days it had quality US imports that would never have appeared here otherwise (eg China Beach).

And its Christmas Crackers in recent years have been some of the best things on seasonal TV.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Sky1 has improved quite a lot over the years. I like that it is now making a lot of home grown shows... Mad Dogs etc. Before it was all just strictly US imports and that crappy Dream team. Still has some trash on there, but doesn't every channel?
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little known fact here but Sky one actually premiered Law and Order for some years but they never showed it at a prime time slot. It was always burried very late at night which baffled me, anyway at least I could Series Link it and enjoy it months before Universal got it.

That show was the only show on sky one I've watched in years, that and The Simpsons back in the early days.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the same Sly One with NCIS. Hawaii 5-0 and Revolution??
    Or has John Bishop and James Corden?

Oh these freak shows...
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Is this the same Sly One with NCIS. Hawaii 5-0 and Revolution??
    Or has John Bishop and James Corden?

Oh these freak shows...

And there was Sparticus that was also an excellent series. I wonder as whether those posters would call that a freak show?
    Ian.
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I noticed they've started putting films on more frequently...
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    AbMan51 wrote: »
    I noticed they've started putting films on more frequently...

Well so do alot of non premium and free to air channels.
    Ian.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Friday Night Comedy is the best on TV.

Modern Family and The Middle are superb

Not forgetting the hit that is Arrow as well as league of their own and stuff like Mad Dogs, Strikeback and Touch of Cloth

Oh and Glee
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Are they on Friday's now? It used to be Thursday night comedy with a new episode of The Simpsons preceeding them.

Also on Fridays they've had Spy, Trollied and ALOTO which were all homegrown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah everything mived to Friday.

Simpsons premieres in Sundays now. ALOTO returns soon too along with Spy and Trollied and Starlings
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Yeah everything mived to Friday.

Simpsons premieres in Sundays now. ALOTO returns soon too along with Spy and Trollied and Starlings
    Spy was cancelled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it?!

I must have read an old press release
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the release about a US version oops!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes much less commercial sense to push Sky 1 than it used to. Back then Sky channels were all clearly labelled Sky and it was in Sky's interest to for brand awareness to pour money into popular shows. These days Sky operates a range of less obvious channels: Fox, Star, Challenge, Comedy Central, Pick TV, MUTV, AtTheRaces, National Geographic, History, Crime & Investigation Network, Nickelodeon (includes joint ventures) as well as making money by providing a platform for other broadcasters.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairness wrote: »
    It makes much less commercial sense to push Sky 1 than it used to. Back then Sky channels were all clearly labelled Sky and it was in Sky's interest to for brand awareness to pour money into popular shows. These days Sky operates a range of less obvious channels: Fox, Star, Challenge, Comedy Central, Pick TV, MUTV, AtTheRaces, National Geographic, History, Crime & Investigation Network, Nickelodeon (includes joint ventures) as well as making money by providing a platform for other broadcasters.
    :confused:Comedy Central has nothing to do with Sky and Fox and Star don't either. Sky's majority owner News Corp owns Fox and as a percentage of Star.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did have the only soap not on a terrestrial channel - the very clever Dream Team, that inspired later terrestrial shows like Footballers Wives and whosew cast went on to populate the bigger soaps like Corrie.

In the early days it had quality US imports that would never have appeared here otherwise (eg China Beach).

And its Christmas Crackers in recent years have been some of the best things on seasonal TV.
    The reason why these US shows wouldn't have appeared here otherwise was because most of them were crap. They used to have very little homegrown programming other than crap like Dream Team. Sky 1 is a much better channel now for both US imports and homegrown programmes and viewing figures prove that.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably watch Sky 1 as much as I do any other channel. The Middle and Modern Family are good. I also like Trollied.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:Comedy Central has nothing to do with Sky and Fox and Star don't either. Sky's majority owner News Corp owns Fox and as a percentage of Star.

Comedy Central UK is a 50/50 partnership with Sky/Paramount I believe
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little known fact here but Sky one actually premiered Law and Order for some years but they never showed it at a prime time slot. It was always burried very late at night which baffled me, anyway at least I could Series Link it and enjoy it months before Universal got it.
    They did the same with The Amazing Race. Got about 4 episodes in of S1 then moved it from prime time to midnight. Then it got dropped, no doubt because "no one watched it" :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    They did the same with The Amazing Race. Got about 4 episodes in of S1 then moved it from prime time to midnight. Then it got dropped, no doubt because "no one watched it" :rolleyes:

It's a fairly serialised show, if you don't watch the 4 episodes, you're not likely to tune in afterwards...
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably watch Sky 1 as much as I do any other channel. The Middle and Modern Family are good. I also like Trollied.

Totally agree. I am always surprised that Trollied is on SKY1 as it's a really good show.
    That said, a lot of their home grown stuff has really improved lately.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Comedy Central UK is a 50/50 partnership with Sky/Paramount I believe
    This is the correct, Comedy Central UK and sister channels are joint ventures between Paramount British Pictures & BSkyB.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Sky 1 every day for Star Trek at 5pm.

Then there were new episodes of The Simpsons every Sunday.

I vaguely remember watching Brainiac: Science Abuse on and off and Are You Smarter Than A 10 Year Old.

That's about it. I haven't watched the channel for years. :)

These days, I get my dose of Star Trek from Syfy and CBS.