08 - Helen Raynor
    09 - Gareth Roberts
    10 - Phil Ford
    11 - Jamie Mathieson
    12 - Steven Moffat
  • illibumillibum Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 from the Moff and a couple of Jamie Mathieson's please.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    illibum wrote: »
    10 from the Moff and a couple of Jamie Mathieson's please.

I think my head would explode from all the overcomplicatedness of those scripts! And as for Steven Moffat... :o:o;-)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear... I was a bit bolshy and non-diplomatic when I posted this morning wasn't I... oh, well, it was all true so... :D
  • Chris DaviesChris Davies Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    What potential ideas? She's had one idea (Harry Potter) and that wasn't terribly original. But sure, I doubt we'll see eye to eye on that. I would like to see new writers whose best work is ahead of them, possibly even on Doctor Who.

I doubt there were many old school Doctor Who fans who would have put Russell T. Davies or Steven Moffat forward as suggestions for writers they'd love to see on a relaunched series back in the day (I know they already had strong reputations as TV writers but not in fantasy / science-fiction). I don't think there was a big clamour to see the writer of 'Dimensions in Time' return. Hell, does anyone think Douglas Adams would have ever worked on Doctor Who once he was a big name? No, he worked on it when he was young and eager and wanting to get on in his writing career. That's how they got one of the most talented science-fiction writers of his generation to contribute.

Honestly, I don't care what ideas Rowling or Joss Whedon may have. They already used their big ideas in their own creations and would be hacking scripts for Doctor Who.

The point about Joss Whedon is that he is a good writer. It's one thing having a good story idea, but another to convert it into a good episode of Doctor Who (exhibit A: Evolution of the Daleks.) You may be right that Whedon's best days are behind him (there's no following 'Buffy' really), but I'd much rather see him 'hacking' for Doctor Who than the show providing some sort of work experience for new writers.

I'm not sure why you're holding up Douglas Adams as an exemplar - his reputation as a writer for Doctor Who is largely based on one serial of which he was only co-writer and which was not based in on his own idea. He certainly didn't give his best ideas to the show.

I agree with you about Rowling though.
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I'd go with...

1. Steven Moffat - Opener

2. Steven Moffat - Dark Future Dystopia

3. Mark Gattiss - History, Regency.

4+5. Jamie Mathieson - Two Parter, original concept.

6. Russell T Davies - Return of one of RTD's companions? Perhaps Donna. Would love to see Donna vs Capaldi

7. Steven Moffat - Psycological horror a la Listen, or Blink.

8.Stephen Thompson - A romp in the veign of time heist, fun and clever.

9+10. Paul Cornell - A slower paced adventure, some breathing space for the series, something more mature.

11. David Renwick - Doctorlite episode, some of that Jonathan Creek Mystery stuff, no Aliens, a human affair.

12+13. Steven Moffat - Big finale, timey wimey, big budgety. With a Paul McGann co-starring role.

Male heavy, but perhaps tellingly, I know barely any female writers.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 & 2 : Robert banks stewart.. a new krynoid story.. pods found on a moon of jupiter and brought back to earth..

3. Rtd: autons on a space station
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Jaime matherson - queen bodicia gets time transported to modern day.. how who why

5 & 6.. ste moff and phil ford.. a meteroite carrying ice droplets from mars to earth.. when the infected water becomes frost humans become possesed and only ice warriors can help.. follow up to waters of mars
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. R banks stewart.. adaptation of zygon who fell to earth

8. Rtd - a super-voc robot and single cyberman are forced to battle for entertainment on a distant planet in a wressling ring ...

9. Moffat.. the patience of angels. The doctor is confronted with his worst fear.. his exact opposite. Because the dr travels freely in time the exact opposite is frozen in time .. and now their roles are switched.. only a clever rouse with the weeping angels can reverse things in this doctor lite episode
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10. Terrance dicks .. the sphynx is an ancient abandoned tardis. But a time meddler knows its secrets...

11 & 12.. rtd and moffat.. the two doctors 10 and 12 are forced by the time meddler to rescue davros before the explosion of the crucible...
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1–13: Paul Cornell.

I'm happy to wait five years if necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Episode 1 - Steven Moffat (tone-setter)
    Episode 2 - Neil Cross (Far-future alien planet)
    Episode 3 - Jamie Mathieson (Murder mystery)
    Episodes 4 and 5 - Steven Moffat (Horror, emotional ending)
    Episode 6 - Chris Chibnall (Fun romp of some kind)
    Episode 7 - Neil Gaiman (Abstract monster)
    Episodes 8 and 9 - Paul Cornell (UNIT story, big first part cliffhanger)
    Episode 10 - Mark Gatiss (Fun romp of some kind)
    Episode 11 - Ken Levine (Dystopian civilization, dark)
    Episodes 12 and 13 - Steven Moffat (Huge-scale finale - intergalactic war)
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we have to have SM but personally I think he needs to stop for a while and get some new ideas, but as it's part of the the game.

1 - Steven Moffatt
    2 - Jamie Mathieson
    3 - Neil Cross
    4, 5 - Toby Whithouse
    6 - Rona Munro
    7 - Paul Cornell
    8, 9 - Jamie Mathieson
    10 - Neil Gaiman
    11 - Steven Moffatt
    12, 13 - Steven Moffatt

Xmas Special - RTD
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im surprised nobody has mentioned Richard Curtis i would have him back writing for a couple of episodes.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with...

1) Steven Moffat (tone setting of the series)
    2) Russell T Davies (a bit of a straight forward monster-of-the-week would be fun!)
    3) Neil Gaiman
    4&5) Jamie Mathieson (a two parter from him could be very interesting indeed)
    6) Gareth Roberts (obligatory light character episode)
    7&8) Toby Whithouse (Very good writer IMO, possibly a bit more of a psychological two parter?)
    9) Russell T Davies (Bit more of a character drama, given that is RTD's specialty)
    10) Mark Gatiss (He's going to be there so may as well include him. A bit more of a comedic and historic episode to break up the serious string of episodes.)
    11) Phil Ford (A scary one. And Ford can certainly do scary.)
    12&13) Steven Moffat (obligatory finale)

That's the line-up I think would work very well IMO. I really want Mathieson to be given the chance to really shine with a 90 minute adventure!

I would go with this list but i would swap Mark Gatiss for Tony Curtis
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure why you're holding up Douglas Adams as an exemplar - his reputation as a writer for Doctor Who is largely based on one serial of which he was only co-writer and which was not based in on his own idea. He certainly didn't give his best ideas to the show.

Sorry, bit of a long response time on this one but I've not looked at the thread since I last posted.

I used Douglas Adams as an example simply as he is probably the most famous and respected (outside of the show) author to have written for it, My point wasn't that he 'gave his best work to the show', but that such a prestige writer only has material in the Doctor Who archives because he created it (just) before he established his reputation: ie. it was early work. Doctor Who managed to find a great writer at the beginning of his career and has wonderful material like City of Death and the Pirate Planet (I'm aware not everyone would consider them wonderful but that quibble is beside the point) in its catalogue because of that. I think there is everything to be said for new writers in favour of old hacks living on their reputation.
    Steven_P wrote: »
    So we have to have SM but personally I think he needs to stop for a while and get some new ideas, but as it's part of the the game.

Listen was a pretty new idea wasn't it?

Im surprised nobody has mentioned Richard Curtis i would have him back writing for a couple of episodes.

How many ideas does he have? He's not really a fantasy / Sci-Fi writer. Perhaps having ticked the Doctor Who box on hi CV he feels no desire to write another.I would be surprised if they hadn't approached him given how well received 'Vincent and the doctor' was, particularly as it seems to have been a favourite with the production team too.