Options

The Great Painting Challenge 22 Feb

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because it's a relatively cheap to produce program doesn't have to mean the content is cheap. Art can appeal to many people. As I said it can feel a bit rushed because of the 3 challenges an episode format.
  • Options
    catscradlecatscradle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I must read the whole thread but does anyone else find Una sickeningly nice? or am I just a cynic?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catscradle wrote: »
    I must read the whole thread but does anyone else find Una sickeningly nice? or am I just a cynic?

yes, she's saccharin sweet and it's very irritating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    catscradle wrote: »

Yes...but her voice is very soothing though :)
    If judging solely on this week's work, I thought Claire should've gone. I agree with Daphne re: Ann's red outlines on her final piece, because they were a bit odd. But Claire's shopping centre painting was so clinical-lokking & her final landscape piece was terrible IMO.
  • Options
    Alison KAlison K Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    If judging solely on this week's work, I thought Claire should've gone. I agree with Daphne re: Ann's red outlines on her final piece, because they were a bit odd. But Claire's shopping centre painting was so clinical-lokking & her final landscape piece was terrible IMO.

Claire has produced my favourite pieces up to this week, but I did wonder when they said for the first time that the decision was being based on their work across the series rather than just on the three pieces produced during the programme whether it was just to save her.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh I said earlier that I found her a bit annoying, nothing personal against her just that it just doesn't fit into this for me.

I think the judges have likely been judging the overall work for some time now and even the contestants comments have given an indication as to whether they feel they have to climb their way up or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alison K wrote: »
    Claire has produced my favourite pieces up to this week, but I did wonder when they said for the first time that the decision was being based on their work across the series rather than just on the three pieces produced during the programme whether it was just to save her.

Exactly! :)
  • Options
    justannejustanne Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweetiecat wrote: »

Me too. The Scot and the young girl who got all stressed about the blue are the best two as far as I'm concerned.

They were my choice (Paul and Clare) right from the beginning, with Richard coming in third. Nothing to choose between the rest, they were all pretty dire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here, here!!! :o

Sorry, I can't help it, but that should be 'Hear, hear'.

:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alison K wrote: »

Just because this was the first time they said this, does not mean it was the first time they used this strategy. For all we know, they may have been doing that for the whole series. I
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly on conventional skills alone, Paul is the strongest , as was from the start. with Claire potentially promising. But the winner is likely to be someone who has been seen to work out of their comfort zone (note the word "challenge" in the programme title) and changed in a positive way as a result of the tasks and the judges' feedback (however much we may disagree with what is said). The inevitable "journey".
    Richard seems to be the person coming up on the outside.
  • Options
    Alison KAlison K Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    justanne wrote: »
    Just because this was the first time they said this, does not mean it was the first time they used this strategy. For all we know, they may have been doing that for the whole series. I

I may be wrong but I thought that every week up till now before the final decision was given that the artists were told that the decision was based solely on that week's work.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think they try and cram too much in with the 3 challenges, but I do think they need a time limit as otherwise I couldn't see how it would work. But they could, for example, give them a whole day for one challenge and they can take as much/little time as they wish. Presumably greats works of art and the judges don't give themselves a 30 minute time limit all the time. However throwing in quick challenges now and again is helpful too, I think, as we get to see their sketching skills etc.

I agree with others about the judges: they need another at least. Daphne is very unlikeable and I don't think she is very helpful in her critique. The other guy at least points out what the artists should do technique-wise.

I'd like to see Daphne have to bang out 3 pictures in those time limits and face some harsh criticism! It's kind of difficult to have a lot of insight in to the judge's abilities. I think they should do more demonstrations (Lachlan is the only one who does this... why?) and/or painting for us to see.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I wonder if Daphne will play nicely in the Final? :D I always forget about it each Sunday until about an hour before, so it's an unexpected treat! Will miss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amy is 'a painter of conviction', my arse. She's basic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I wonder if Daphne will play nicely in the Final? :D I always forget about it each Sunday until about an hour before, so it's an unexpected treat! Will miss it.

I record it each week and watch it Monday morning. A great way to start the week.

On the past performance, my final order is Clare, Paul, Richard, Amy.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching ?
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I am. Think I want either Claire or Richard to win.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too - am embarrassingly excited about the final :blush: I've loved how:

-Richard is using his theatrical tendencies more judiciously
    -Claire is reining in her neurotic diva tendencies
    -Amy is starting to appreciate technical skill

Paul's 'journey' is the most interesting to me, because he was so clearly out in front to start with but now acknowledges that Richard has made greater progress, and may even be overtaking him. Will he raise his game in time for the final?

Will be happy with either a Richard or Paul win, and I reckon Claire is capable of pulling off a masterstroke too.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep :)

I wonder how they manage to paint from photos. I'd imagine the subject matter in them to be flattened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching ?

Not watching, recording. Going to dip out of this thread now, so I don't spoil my watching tomorrow morning.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like Richard and Pauls styles. especially Richard, but I dont mind who wins :) its been a great series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    justanne wrote: »
    Not watching, recording. Going to dip out of this thread now, so I don't spoil my watching tomorrow morning.

Enjoy.

Look forward to your posts tomorrow then :)
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I did Art at school, we were never allowed to use a ruler.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loving Richards so far.