Options

Why can't you get a single screw these days?

droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just needed one to fix a chair. There used to be a shop in town that would have sold me one for a penny or two.

But no longer. You have to go to B&Q and buy a whole packet for £2.

And, to make it worse, when I went to save the packet in my box of 'things' I found an identical packet already there. So now I have two packets that will never get used! >:(

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've still got a local hardware place where you can buy 'em one at a time.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an innuendo in there somewhere...
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maybe you're just not going to the right places.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    But what if you buy just one and it brakes while using it then you have to go out and buy another
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    We've still got a local hardware place where you can buy 'em one at a time.

Lucky you. We had one 5 minutes walk from where I live and it was brilliant, you could almost anything there and in small quantities like single screws. I used to use it a lot but unfortunately most people preferred to drive miles to queue in an out of town DIY store and so they closed :cry: - the high rent and rates didn't help.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    But what if you buy just one and it brakes while using it then you have to go out and buy another

You should be able to really go at with a good screw.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that applies to anything you buy one of, doesn't it.

You wouldn't buy two toasters just in case you drop one on the floor when you open the box.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, to make it worse, when I went to save the packet in my box of 'things' I found an identical packet already there. So now I have two packets that will never get used! >:(

Which begs the question, why didn't you bother to check your 'box of things' first?
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't you go to your 'box of things' in the first place?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Our local hardware shop sells hundreds of different fixings, and you can buy just one if you want.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Lucky you. We had one 5 minutes walk from where I live and it was brilliant, you could almost anything there and in small quantities like single screws. I used to use it a lot but unfortunately most people preferred to drive miles to queue in an out of town DIY store and so they closed :cry: - the high rent and rates didn't help.

Also the profit on a single screw is going to be tiny - for the same overheads as a pack of 50.

I did see some loose screws for sale in Wilkinsons recently so maybe there is a shift back to such things?
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Which begs the question, why didn't you bother to check your 'box of things' first?

I do recognise that I don't have a satisfactory answer to that question.
  • Options
    TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fortunate enough to have one of those hardware stores on my high street that's been there at least 70+ years (probably more) where you can buy a single screw/bolt/nut whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that applies to anything you buy one of, doesn't it.

You wouldn't buy two toasters just in case you drop one on the floor when you open the box.

No but you could take that back and get it replaced could you really get a replacement screw if one bent.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but you could take that back and get it replaced could you really get a replacement screw if one bent.

Not if YOU dropped it on the floor and broke it, no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I'm fortunate enough to have one of those hardware stores on my high street that's been there at least 70+ years (probably more) where you can buy a single screw/bolt/nut whatever.

Us too. A lot of the stock has been there so long it has Shillings and/or pence on the price labels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not if YOU dropped it on the floor and broke it, no.

They would have to prove that and it wasn't like that when I opened it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They would have to prove that and it wasn't like that when I opened it.

Why not just nick the toaster instead? It saves you the hassle of taking back the one you have 'dropped' then.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But no longer. You have to go to B&Q and buy a whole packet for £2.

>:(

Ooooh a whole £2 to repair a chair.

Tell you what, do buy the £2 pack of screws, just scrap the chair and go out and buy a new set of chairs :o:D
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our local hardware stall sells most everything individually. If you're going to chain stores, then they want to sell packs as they likely have a better profit margin on them.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    They want to sell packs as they likely have a better profit margin on them.

Loose sharps in a retail outlet is just a menace.

You can just imagine the squeals as the children stand or fall on them. Then the joy of ambulance chasers getting £s for accidents.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    People who have to use places like Wilko or B&Q have my sympathy.

A couple of quid for a vacuum-formed plastic pack containing half a dozen washers etc!

Local auto-spares place sells washers for 2p each.
    Same thing with nuts, bolts and screws etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the OP doesn't have well organised shelves of jam jars full of assorted screws , nails, bolts, nuts, rivets, split pins, cotters, spigots, flanges, spandrels, washers, ferrules, spacers, grommets and gudgeons.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    You should be able to really go at with a good screw.
    And if it's done properly there should be no pulling out at the last minute.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local auto shop went bust because Halfords opened a new store half a mile away :-(