Is it acceptable?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If we were in this situation, and there was really no way we could fight them.. it was down to these two options..

Everyone Dead

or

10% Of the earths children....

Is it a willing trade for the Humanity on earth to survive?

Comments

• Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Scamps wrote: »
    If we were in this situation, and there was really no way we could fight them.. it was down to these two options..

Everyone Dead

or

Of course.

People might not like it and it wouldn't be a choice you'd want to make. But it comes down to numbers.

You're going to lose some of the population - just decided how much. Always choose the smaller number!
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always a way to fight, even if it means to the end. So rather than give in I think mankind would fight back. Give 10% now and the beggars would come back for more knowing we wouldn't put up a struggle.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, in a similar way to "Invasion:Earth" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140743/ do we just become farm animals for the 456 whenever they fancy another 10/20/30%?

K
  • syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dashyork42 wrote: »
    There's always a way to fight, even if it means to the end. So rather than give in I think mankind would fight back. Give 10% now and the beggars would come back for more knowing we wouldn't put up a struggle.

I agree that it would be a bad idea to give in. No one has the right to choose others who should be sacrificed. It is unlikely that the entire world's population would immediately be destroyed, so the better choice would be to fight. Yes, more people would die, but we would die as people who made the moral choice rather than the dirty practical choice just to save ourselves.

Unfortunately I don't think that's the choice most of humanity would make, based on responses to this question here and to similar questions elsewhere....
  • WhoreofBabylonWhoreofBabylon Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Reverse it - if we as a species were dying and our salvation was the children of another species, would we not do the same?
  • kts2kkts2k Posts: 358
    Forum Member

Everyone Dead

or

Kind of like going to war... is it acceptable for people to sacrifice their lives for people's freedom?

(I'm not starting a conversation about war and is it right etc. I was thinking this watching the ep last night)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone Dead

or

Would we make the same choice a third time when they come back for 50%?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    It simply wouldn't be possible. If people knew, then they would kill rather than give up their children - kill the authorities, kill their children, kill themselves. If they didn't know and found out later what had happened then there would be war and the world would be destroyed anyway.

However I think this is the crux of the story - if the world gives up the children then it has already lost the fight. If they don't, then they will win. Kind of a moral test if you will - like the Judgement of Solomon - he was asked to decide which was the true mother of a baby and offered to cut the baby in half so they could have half each. One woman at that offer just said to hand the child to the other woman, and so he knew this was the true mother, as any mother would never consent to her child being killed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone Dead

or

You're assuming the aliens could be trusted to keep their word, since they've already proven they can't then the question becomes "are we willing to sacrifice an ever increasing percentage of our children every couple of decades in order to buy off some intergalactic bullies"?

If the answer is "yes" then I'd say we deserve to be wiped out. Blackmailers & bullies always come back for more.

My selection criteria would be to select from the families of those who say it's acceptable to make the sacrifice "for the greater good".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    If people knew, you would have to fight - the world would decend into anarchy if the government / military tried to take peoples children.

The only way anyone would take my son, would be by prising him from my dead hands...
    Reverse it - if we as a species were dying and our salvation was the children of another species, would we not do the same?

I'd like to think not, as the majority of us have morality at our core. Saying that we do slaughter animals for meat, aren't they an equivalent?

Big questions here.... better than the continuity thread - they are serious losers over there!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learn the lessons of history...

First they come for the ones that can't defend themselves....

Then they come for the ones who can barely defend themselves....

Then, one day, they come for you!

Defend the defenceless. To do any less is moral cowardice.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Learn the lessons of history...

First they come for the ones that can't defend themselves....

Then they come for the ones who can barely defend themselves....

Then, one day, they come for you!

Defend the defenceless. To do any less is moral cowardice.

*punches air*

Yes! Doggy your a natural born leader :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Chubby wrote: »

The only way anyone would take my son, would be by prising him from my dead hands...

Same here. Every parent would agree, that's all part of the love you have for them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *punches air*

Yes! Doggy your a natural born leader :D

Thanks Dgem:o

Shall I get off my soapbox now?:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mathom wrote: »
    It simply wouldn't be possible. If people knew, then they would kill rather than give up their children - kill the authorities, kill their children, kill themselves. If they didn't know and found out later what had happened then there would be war and the world would be destroyed anyway.

However I think this is the crux of the story - if the world gives up the children then it has already lost the fight. If they don't, then they will win. Kind of a moral test if you will - like the Judgement of Solomon - he was asked to decide which was the true mother of a baby and offered to cut the baby in half so they could have half each. One woman at that offer just said to hand the child to the other woman, and so he knew this was the true mother, as any mother would never consent to her child being killed.

I think you have the measure of it there Mathom. I think you do.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    dashyork42 wrote: »

If do the option of giving the 456 10% then make sure the children are pre-infected with all the nasty diseases and other biological agents. The chances are the 456 will not be immune to everything and die off or be to weak afterwards to be any threat.