Is it ever too late to save someone?

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thinking about Capaldi's shrift views on saving people who clearly are already dead, made me think how ironic OR how deliberate this trait is by the writers?

After all, which face was it that Tennant eventually went back to save when all of Pompeii was burning? Fixed moment aside he eventually realised he could still go back and save that family, after Donna pleaded with him. Wonder if they will play that angle this series?

Comments

• FlopflipsFlopflips Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    With the 'Why did I choose this face? Am I sending a message?' -(Sorry, I am not sure how accurate that is, but is how I recall it - so could be dead wrong) - rant in the first episode, I'd say there is a real possibility of this happening.

But maybe I am reading too much into a justification for why P/C can be the Dr.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Who is dead?

Not joking - we saw what appeared to be an impaled cyborg but we don't know that he was vulnerable to that particular injury - and we saw a woman being "somethinged" - could have been a teleporter for all we know.

In both of those cases, we saw the person "alive and talking" moments later - we don't know that they were "spirits".

We just saw two people killed in an equally "nothing I can do about that" kind of way using "suicide pills" left by the Dooctor (using a disguise) and later discover that HE LIED - and they were merely teleported to safety.

Just saying that we're only part way into a season where death and "heaven" are a theme and in Doctor Who, such things are rarely what they appear to be.
    Forum Member
    Who is dead?

There has been two occasions where a death, or something akin to it has occurred and the doctor has done nothing to prevent it - that I can recall. There might be more.

The first, male soldier in -'Into the Dalek' who originally sets off the anti-body response in the Dalek. The Doctor just threw something to him, to help him track where his body would be stored, as he was already dead.

He also said the same about Teller's first victim in the bank. I can't help him, those are not tears, they're soup - or something along those lines. Although, he isn't dead I suppose, just a bit empty headed.

So there are real deaths/serious impairments were the doctor has decided it is too late or not interceded.

I do think the second soldier in 'Into the Dalek', Gretchen was transported or something before she died.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flopflips wrote: »
    There has been two occasions where a death, or something akin to it has occurred and the doctor has done nothing to prevent it - that I can recall. There might be more.

The first, male soldier in -'Into the Dalek' who originally sets off the anti-body response in the Dalek. The Doctor just threw something to him, to help him track where his body would be stored, as he was already dead.

He also said the same about Teller's first victim in the bank. I can't help him, those are not tears, they're soup - or something along those lines. Although, he isn't dead I suppose, just a bit empty headed.

So there are real deaths/serious impairments were the doctor has decided it is too late or not interceded.

I do think the second soldier in 'Into the Dalek', Gretchen was transported or something before she died.

Yup, those are the two instances I was thinking about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I think the title of this thread has nailed the theme for this season...

Watch this space.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stoo2907 wrote: »

Watch this space.

Hmmmmm ....
    Forum Member
    Can't count the man in the bank - he was "lawfully punished" albeit in an unpleasant way. He was a crook who got caught and penalised PLUS any attempt to intervene would have definitely resulted in the capture and likely death of the Doctor and everyone with him.

The solider how was "something'd" inside the Dalek - still not 100% accepting that anyone actually dies in there - it was far too much like the "suicides" in Heist and we saw another character who "died" the same way apparently alive shortly afterwards.

Even if that was death, it's not that the Doctor did nothing - there was simply nothing he COULD do in those cases - it was too late.

Two instances of the Doctor not being in a position to save everyone is not a "theme" - it's happened in every series of Doctor Who since 1963 and is usually used to show us what he threat is so we understand the significance when someone "more important" (in plot terms) faces the same threat later.

It's not like Red Dwarf where Kryten had his morality chip removed and cooked the next dead body he found and served it for lunch.

As for giving the tracking device to the soldier in the Dalek - how about the possibility that he did that to locate Missy and "heaven" - we just haven't got the full picture yet? (Never assume the Doctor is stupid and doesn't know exactly what's going on just cos it takes a series for us to learn that fact).
    Forum Member
    Pertinent quotes from this week's episode, perhaps...

Clara - "What are you doing? This thing killed people."

Doctor - "Well, so might you to protect everyone you loved."
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,326
    Forum Member

Watch this space.

So does this mean people are thinking the finale could be 'everbody lives' on a grand scale?. If so, could be interesting but that would certainly have people complaining about another Moffat re used idea.

The thing I noticed though, which dosen't exactly tally with that idea, is not everyone who dies is shown with missy. Assuming the clockwork droid really did jump, along with the soldier woman in into the dalek then the only people we've been shown with missy are the one's who actually sacrificed themselves willingly. People who just die unwillingly have not been shown to be important at all, so at the moment I definitely think it's something to do with the act of sacrificing themselves for the doctor or his cause. with this in mind I think the finale could be something along the theme similar to the davros speech in journeys end about all the people who sacrifice themselves for him, but on a bigger scale.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Watch this space.

Oooh.
    I was actually thinking this earlier. The overall theme of this series has been pretty ambiguous (which is part of the reason I'm enjoying it so much). But there does seem to be a central 'already dead, worth saving' running through the series.
    Exciting! I love trying to work it out.
    Forum Member
    I have feeling the going back and saving someone after it is too late is going to tie into Danny Pink's journey somehow. He does regret killing or being unable to prevent someone dying in his past, unless they make it so his background isn't what he says it.

I have the slightly uneasy feeling they might recycle yet another motif from an earlier series, and something similar to Rose going back and saving her Dad or something. I hope they don't.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Flopflips wrote: »

I have the slightly uneasy feeling they might recycle yet another motif from an earlier series, and something similar to Rose going back and saving her Dad or something. I hope they don't.

But we know when happened then so he can't

Unless they have a twist that Time Travel was involved and that person wasn't supposed to die in the first place.

On that though how many people has The Doctor saved that was supposed to die in the original history (and for this show even the present and future come under that term)
    Forum Member
    First off - I am 100% "spoiler free" so anything I say is nothing but guess work and deduction/opinion.

We've had three full years with Moffat in charge - and every one of them ended with at least one death being reversed or turning out to have never really happened in the way we assumed.

Why change the habits of a lifetime - at least one "dead" character won't be by the end of this series. My money's on it being Clara - and I'm half-expecting her to "die" in the next few weeks so she can be resurrected later as a "big surprise" (easy enough to organise - there's probably millions of her still floating around out there)