Subtitles in my recordings with 540HX please help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
Hi,

We have had our DVR-540HX-S since they came out quite a few years ago now, and like it very much; However, I problem has arisen that I do not think has been there before so hopefully someone can help.

I played a film last night and noticed it had subtitles on it, so tried the button press shift+subtitle but nothing happened.
I then went into the home menu and turned it off there under "show subtitles".

Still showing subtitles.

I have a PVR and this records the subtitles automatically within the recording but can be turned off or on when required.

Anyway, I did a test recording after turning off "record subtitles" in the home menu, but still it records subtitles.

Then I realised that subtitles was turned on whilst watching freeview, a while back (I usually use the in-built freeview in the tv, just using the pioneer to record programmes I want to keep, like films, so did not notice the pioneer tuner had this turned on). and that this is why subtitles are being recorded, as though it is recording exactly what you are seeing through the freeview tuner; I always thought that watching subtitles doesn't make it record them onto the hdd in that way. On the PVR, it does not matter if subtitles are displayed or not.

Anyway, I have now found that a couple of weeks of recordings have subtitles permanently showing.

Is there any way to turn them off ? Some of these recordings are important to me and not likely to be shown again.

If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Chris at HomeChris at Home Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    audiofi wrote: »
    Hi,

We have had our DVR-540HX-S since they came out quite a few years ago now, and like it very much; However, I problem has arisen that I do not think has been there before so hopefully someone can help.

I played a film last night and noticed it had subtitles on it, so tried the button press shift+subtitle but nothing happened.
    I then went into the home menu and turned it off there under "show subtitles".

Still showing subtitles.

I have a PVR and this records the subtitles automatically within the recording but can be turned off or on when required.

Anyway, I did a test recording after turning off "record subtitles" in the home menu, but still it records subtitles.

Then I realised that subtitles was turned on whilst watching freeview, a while back (I usually use the in-built freeview in the tv, just using the pioneer to record programmes I want to keep, like films, so did not notice the pioneer tuner had this turned on). and that this is why subtitles are being recorded, as though it is recording exactly what you are seeing through the freeview tuner; I always thought that watching subtitles doesn't make it record them onto the hdd in that way...

If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.

If it is like my Sony recorder, the subtitles are set on or off when setting a recording and you have no control to see or hide them during playback.