Ridiculous lack of choice with Apple

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    No I havent listened to all 100 of them, but quite a few.

Are you saying that in the 100 there are natural voices not created by computer, if so link to them please.

I'm saying that whatever reasoned argument we put you'll just dismiss them as "that's shit" without attempting to consider any of the merits of them. Still keeps the anti-Apple thread at the top of the pile :D

The voice on a satnav is largely irrelevant. If you don't like the one on Android, you can change it. Perhaps you can link to someone saying the Skobbler voice is better than anything else, as only you seem to think so?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    They all sound very robotic.

Did I mention my Skobbler App also has speed cameras in the offline map database:D

Oh and a proper human voice:p

Now wheres my marmalade

so your satnav has a proper human voice .......

dating sites not working ? :p
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    They all sound very robotic.

God they cant sound as robotic as Siri does...
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    The Male siri sounds like a bell-end, to be fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0ZIqoiaUI
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    The Male siri sounds like a bell-end, to be fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0ZIqoiaUI

and based on the criticism of Google maps needing a connection (which it doesnt if you cache maps) isnt Siri reliant on a connection ???
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    and based on the criticism of Google maps needing a connection (which it doesnt if you cache maps) isnt Siri reliant on a connection ???

Yup. doesnt work without one.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I used it on my brand new evo3d dual core htc with the latest version last week. I had to come off a motorway due a closure. It couldn't re-route because the data connection was lost. Ended up wasting about 1 hour.

As I said the pre-caching is utterly useless if you're in an area with no data connection.

I've had it crash unexpectedly on my phone a few times as well which is why I call it flakey, it is beta test anyhow so I'm not expecting it to be 100% stable

I don't use sat navs that often so I can get away with using google nav occasionally, if I was using one all the time I would have to get something with proper offline maps.

I am have not really travelled anywhere, where I was unable to get a signal recently and needed to use my satnav. My car has an inbuilt system, that is my primary satnav system. however the disks for it are old now. So can use my phone as a backup if required.

If I travelled a lot and used a satnav system a lot, I wouldnt use my phone as a satnav. I would get a proper satnav system (if I didnt have an inbuilt system).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    If I travelled a lot and used a satnav system a lot, I wouldnt use my phone as a satnav. I would get a proper satnav system (if I didnt have an inbuilt system).

Yeah I think that's fair enough. I do maybe 3 or 4 car journeys a month to somewhere new, 30+ miles away, as well as 3 public transport journeys a week to somewhere new, and Google Maps is just fine for that. If I was on the road every day there might be a few bells and whistles on a TomTom worth getting.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'm saying that whatever reasoned argument we put you'll just dismiss them as "that's shit" without attempting to consider any of the merits of them. Still keeps the anti-Apple thread at the top of the pile :D

The voice on a satnav is largely irrelevant. If you don't like the one on Android, you can change it. Perhaps you can link to someone saying the Skobbler voice is better than anything else, as only you seem to think so?

No I've pointed out that the voice is robotic and not a natural voice like the one on Skobbler.

If you link to a natural voice I'll concede its a good satnav.

Dont rubbish the content of the argument because you have lost or because you cant be arsed to prove your point.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I've pointed out that the voice is robotic and not a natural voice like the one on Skobbler.

If you link to a natural voice I'll concede its a good satnav.

Dont rubbish the content of the argument because you have lost or because you cant be arsed to prove your point.

No sat nav is going to have 100% natural voice because the intonation of the human voice box is very hard to replicate electronically, let alone on a mobile device. And anyway, you're not REALLY going to be paying that much attention to the voice....are you? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No sat nav is going to have 100% natural voice because the intonation of the human voice box is very hard to replicate electronically, let alone on a mobile device. And anyway, you're not REALLY going to be paying that much attention to the voice....are you? :confused:

With Skobbler its a human voice, not a replication

When you are driving alot its nice to have a natural sounding voice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have a natural sounding voice

Very natural....
    http://vimeo.com/29139678

vs "British Amy" on IVONA?
    http://www.ivona.com/en/?tk=L8B5qskoc9
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just watched about four videos of it on YouTube and it sounds the same as the Google one lol. And there's no street level view on this thing either, so it's a rather basic imitation of the native free Android app tbh.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a member of more than one, not all free. Adult Friend finder being the most expensive...Match being about the cheapest.

Better totty on the Android or iOS apps? :D
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Very natural....
    http://vimeo.com/29139678

vs "British Amy" on IVONA?
    http://www.ivona.com/en/?tk=L8B5qskoc9

IVONA is a non built in paid app with a free trial (just being fair as earlier people were saying why no free IOS navigation built in).

It also doesn't work with Android navigation, I've tried it and it works most of the time, but then strangely falls back to the Andriod voice for some commands which means you've got 2 voices seemingly randomly giving you directions, you can't force it to IVONA.

IVONA is a brilliant voice though. I'm an Android user without a bias, as a former IOS user who is considering buying "the new ipad", I believe that's it's official name. I think Jobs just turned in his grave at me repeating that.
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe the official name is just 'iPad'.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus mate, when your in a hole stop digging. You have list every point on this thread so don't start on one of Android's strengths.

Bump! Again!
    Forum Member
    Just watched about four videos of it on YouTube and it sounds the same as the Google one lol. And there's no street level view on this thing either, so it's a rather basic imitation of the native free Android app tbh.

Yes it does have street level and speed cameras.

Now what?!
    psionic wrote: »
    Better totty on the Android or iOS apps? :D

lols very good:D
    Forum Member
    Yes it does have street level and speed cameras.

Now what?!

lols very good:D

i think by 'street level' he means street view level .... ie photos of junctions and satellite overlays etc .....

and google navigation also has 3d buildings in cities now ! that ones a bit gimmicky tho for driving but very handy for walking round london !
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google navigation is good for built in though, it doesn't stop you from upgrading from the free google version to Navigon or something.

Navigon UK for Android is £39.95
    Navigon UK for iPhone is £69.99

You gotta pay that 30% Apple tax if you want it on an iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    i think by 'street level' he means street view level .... ie photos of junctions and satellite overlays etc .....

and google navigation also has 3d buildings in cities now ! that ones a bit gimmicky tho for driving but very handy for walking round london !

Yep, that's what I meant....and the latter IS very handy for doing some city exploring...I did it in NYC recently, and plenty of times around London...very handy, and not just for driving. It also takes into account walking, taking the bus etc...:)
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Google navigation is good for built in though, it doesn't stop you from upgrading from the free google version to Navigon or something.

I tried Navigon when it was first out. It wasn't very good. Got CoPilot now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    around London...very handy, and not just for driving. It also takes into account walking, taking the bus etc...:)

the Google maps public transport directions are brilliant in London. Being able to get a nudge from your phone just before your stop is invaluable, particularly when you're on a bus. Timings tend to be pretty spot on as well.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Co Pilot is pretty good, use it in the car, use a Garmin 62s when on foot in the hills though.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

£39.99 is still too much to pay when Skobbler does a better job. You only have to read the reviews.