If the BBC axe The Voice after S2 do you think ITV could pick it up?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    And they cost money. The first season of the US show cost about 2.3mill an hour. There were 12 episodes. 11 of which were 2 hours long. That's 52.9 mill for the first season, not even including the studio time and what they paid Stevie Nicks and the rest of the celebrities to perform with the final 4. Season 2 had 21 episodes, and season three had 32. They also hired new set designers, wardrobe people, make up artists, PAs, editors, and more. If you watch the press conferences is each year, they spell out what they have been tweaking and each time they tweak it by hiring someone new with a fresh perspective. They are well near the 100 mill mark if not already surpassed it by now.

oh really I wasn't aware that its that expensive, interesting
    but i have read it gets around $269000 for a 30 second spot in advertising at the moment so I guess its paying off nicely nethertheless, and lets be honest, without it NBC would be the lowest network by far, whereas theyre actually looking at a third or even second place finish this year!

this is where the problem is for the BBC, theres no financial gain from it for the BBC and therefore their budget is seriously restricted in making a bigger production. This is not the situation for a channel like ITV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh really I wasn't aware that its that expensive, interesting
    but i have read it gets around $269000 for a 30 second spot in advertising at the moment so I guess its paying off nicely nethertheless, and lets be honest, without it NBC would be the lowest network by far, whereas theyre actually looking at a third or even second place finish this year!

this is where the problem is for the BBC, theres no financial gain from it for the BBC and therefore their budget is seriously restricted in making a bigger production. This is not the situation for a channel like ITV

Yea, companies are paying big money to have commercials during the voice now. It's passing FOX numbers in advertising. It was the highest rated reality show last season and with the looks of American Idol's numbers, it could be this season as well, although The Voice seems to do better in the fall. Who knows what might happen with the changes, though.

The BBC had to cut a lot of corners because of the budget. It keeps making me laugh when people say, they wasted 22 mill of taxpayers money. That's only 11 mill a series. About 13 US, we were spending that in just about two to three episodes. Quality comes at a price and 22 mill just doesn't cut it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Yea, companies are paying big money to have commercials during the voice now. It's passing FOX numbers in advertising. It was the highest rated reality show last season and with the looks of American Idol's numbers, it could be this season as well, although The Voice seems to do better in the fall. Who knows what might happen with the changes, though.

The BBC had to cut a lot of corners because of the budget. It keeps making me laugh when people say, they wasted 22 mill of taxpayers money. That's only 11 mill a series. About 13 US, we were spending that in just about two to three episodes. Quality comes at a price and 22 mill just doesn't cut it.

I think it crushes AI this Spring. Premiere could well hit a 5.0 and remain in the 4s into the battles and knockout rounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KToure wrote: »
    I think it crushes AI this Spring. Premiere could well hit a 5.0 and remain in the 4s into the battles and knockout rounds.

Hopefully. AI is staying in the mid 3s for the Wednesday live shows and TV was still in the 4s for much of the lives. There is also a basketball game on Monday at 7:30, though. It's a Lakers-Warriors game so it is bound to get a ton on viewers. The west coast viewers could hinder the premiere ratings for TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Hopefully. AI is staying in the mid 3s for the Wednesday live shows and TV was still in the 4s for much of the lives. There is also a basketball game on Monday at 7:30, though. It's a Lakers-Warriors game so it is bound to get a ton on viewers. The west coast viewers could hinder the premiere ratings for TV.

also DST in america so it probably wont be in line with the fall
    Im really hoping it premieres well...4.2 was its rating for the fall premier I believe, if its in line with that then NBC will be happy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also DST in america so it probably wont be in line with the fall
    Im really hoping it premieres well...4.2 was its rating for the fall premier I believe, if its in line with that then NBC will be happy

Yep. Only 11 out of 32 episodes were below 4.0 and most of those were results shows or on days where NCIS aired new episodes. And NCIS averages 18+million viewers. AI doesn't have that type of competition right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member

Shakira has a larger Latino following than Xtina did IMO and I think they will be key in getting those premiere numbers high. Also the second hour (seeing as its a double hour premiere) will alleviate and drop from the bball game.

Apparently folk in social media circles who either attended the press screening or last nights premiere are raving that this premiere is the best yet. Can't wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KToure wrote: »
    Shakira has a larger Latino following than Xtina did IMO and I think they will be key in getting those premiere numbers high. Also the second hour (seeing as its a double hour premiere) will alleviate and drop from the bball game.

Apparently folk in social media circles who either attended the press screening or last nights premiere are raving that this premiere is the best yet. Can't wait!

The lakers game won't be over till at least 9:30, but there is also a Heat game at 7:00 east coast time. TV starts at 8 so in both regions it'll pull viewers. Thinking about it, though, bball doesn't generate as many viewers as football and the demo for the shows only overlaps a little, so maybe it'll be all right. Personally, I'm conflicted on what to watch. I'm from California so the Lakers-Warriors game is pretty big. I think I'll watch TV and switch to the game during commercials.