Most Memorable / Best Episodes Of Matt Smith

2»

Comments

• ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »
    Hilarious. You anti-Smith posters could at least try being constructive in your criticism rather than obnoxious.

I wasn't joking, but that personal attack has ruined by morning :(:(:cry:
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    My choices per series:

Series 5:

1. Amy's Choice - excellent writing, genuinely sad and troubling in parts, and in my opinion the frozen planet is the most beautiful visual effect in Matt's tenure.

2. The Lodger - sweet and funny, Eleven and Craig are a great double act.

3. The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang. Again, excellent writing, and Rory is particularly awesome here.

Series 6:

1. The Doctor's Wife - my favourite story of Eleven's era so far. Idris is wonderful and House has a genuine menace. Amy has never been my favourite character but I always feel worried for her when watching this episode.

2. The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon - fantastically complex and entertaining. I love Canton Delaware III too.

3. Let's Kill Hitler - barmy. Love it. :D

Series 7:

1. Asylum of the Daleks - really, really clever, great energy, and poor, unsuspecting Oswin...

2. The Name of the Doctor - IMO, after a disappointing second half, Series 7 gets back on form here. Lovely to see the clips of all the previous Doctors too.

3. The Bells of St John.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    I wasn't joking, but that personal attack has ruined by morning :(:(:cry:

Well your Anti-Smith post was extremely inflammatory. Of course people are going to be annoyed at you for coming on to a Favourite Matt Smith moment/episode thread, then explicitly bashing him by saying he's had no good moments of any sort. It's unconstructive, rude and infuriating. Yes it's your opinion, but you could have expressed it far more tactfully.

Anyway, my favourite episodes for Matt:

The Eleventh Hour
    Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
    Amy's Choice
    Vincent and the Doctor
    The Lodger
    The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang (That speech!!)
    A Christmas Carol

Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon
    The Doctor's Wife
    Rebel Flesh/Almost People
    A Good Man Goes to War
    The Girl Who Waited
    The Wedding of River Song

Asylum of the Daleks
    Town Called Mercy
    Angels Take Manhatten
    The Snowmen
    The Bells of Saint John
    Cold War
    Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
    Nightmare in Silver
    The Name of the Doctor

:)

Personally, I think Matt has had a very strong run of episodes. I've loved his era from start to near-finish and I hope that Doctor Twelve can maintain my 100% satisfaction record of the eras of each Doctor. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Vincent & The Doctor.
    Beautiful. Perfect. I felt for everyone, including the Monster. I wept.

2. The Girl Who Waited.
    Arthur & Karen on the top of their game. Again with the tears.

3. The Power of Three.
    Intimate and beautifully low-key. Played the looming Pond departures with a tangible sense of foreboding. Also, Rory in his pants. :-)

4. The Lodger.
    Full of LOL's. Matt with his top off. What more could you ask for? ^_^

5. The Eleventh Hour.
    I've never loved a Doctor so immediately, or as much. Plus, Matt with his top off.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, the best episodes of Matt's tenure are all the season openers and finales. Name of the Doctor and Asylum particularly. However, if you're talking about Matt's performance, as opposed to overall episodes, then the following stand out:

The Beast Below: Nobody human has anything to say to me today! Plus I really enjoyed his whole thing about the Time Lords. Very low key.

The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang: From the Pandorica speech, to pretending to be dead, from the fez to saying goodbye to Amelia. Not to mention his dancing.

Day of the Moon: The scene where he defeats the Silence is both Moffat and Smith at their best.

The Girl Who Waited: The moment where he slams the TARDIS door on future Amy is cruel. I was convinced the robots were going to kill her, so to have the Doctor slam the door in her face...

The Angels Take Manhattan: His clear and utter heartbreak is so clear when he loses Amy and it just devastates him, plus the precursors to it as well. A stunning ep.

Rings of Akhaten: I know a lot of people may see this as controversial but the speech at the end of it is IMHO Matt's finest moment as the Doctor.

Nightmare in Silver: Don't get me wrong. I thought this was an at best good episode. However, Matt absolutely carries it for me. Without Matt's electrifying central performance, this episode would have been average or worse poor. He lights up the screen and that I think sums Matt up as a Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delete
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shevk wrote: »
    Best episode starring Matt Smith?

The End of Time Part 2. (minus the last minute or so)

Hahahaha!! So, none really? :rolleyes:

Something tells me you're a DT lover, and don't really care for MS much.

I'm a big fan of DT too, but am getting into MS more, now though. I'm waiting for my copy of Clone (Womb), to come through the post. It's got Matt in this as the lead. Hopefully tomorrow the DVD will land on my doorstep, then I can watch it. :) I ordered the DVD on amazon three days ago.

The Caves of Androzani Soundtrack CD, that I ordered on amazon a few weeks back only took four days to arrive, so here's hoping! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    1. Vincent & The Doctor.
    Beautiful. Perfect. I felt for everyone, including the Monster. I wept.

2. The Girl Who Waited.
    Arthur & Karen on the top of their game. Again with the tears.

3. The Power of Three.
    Intimate and beautifully low-key. Played the looming Pond departures with a tangible sense of foreboding. Also, Rory in his pants. :-)

4. The Lodger.
    Full of LOL's. Matt with his top off. What more could you ask for? ^_^

5. The Eleventh Hour.
    I've never loved a Doctor so immediately, or as much. Plus, Matt with his top off.

I only realised how much I actually love this episode after I rewatched it long after the Ponds were gone. I don't really care much for the actual plot, but I loved the dynamics between the Doctor and the Ponds and it's something really good to watch when you feel like you're missing the Ponds.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S5 The Eleventh Hour, Pandorica Opens,Big Banng
    S6 A Good Man Goes to War,The Doctors Wife,The Girl Who Waited
    S7 The Angels Take Manhatan,Asylum of the Daleks,Name Of the Doctor

Matt Smith has great range and has made the role his own. Two more hopefully great episodes to give him a classic exit. Will be sitting there with a tissue on Christmas night. Hopefully there will be a few laughs and smiles aswell as tears. Thanks Matt and good luck for the future.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find my opinions about Doctor Who can shift over time and this era isn't over yet (2 more episodes of Matt. Only two more. Nooooo. In denial!) ) but the following particularly float my boat;

The Eleventh Hour. Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone. Amy's Choice. The Lodger. Vincent & The Doctor. Pandorica Opens/Big Bang. A Christmas Carol. The Impossible Astronaut. The Doctor's Wife. Girl Who Waited. God Complex. Asylum of the Daleks. A Town Called Mercy. The Snowmen. Hide. The Crimson Horror. Name of the Doctor....

yup, bit of a fan of this era. :)

As long as Doctor Who keeps going and we have an actor in the role, I'm happy! :D

I'm dreading the day the Doctor gets to the end of his 13th life and cannot regenerate anymore. :( If it carries on the way it's going, by 2022, Doctor Who the TV series will be no more. :( That's if the next doctor has 4 years at the role, then the 13th has another four years after that.

David Tennant had four years and Matt will have done by Christmas.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Moffat's era, he writes some great episodes but his approach to the show as a whole is a bit lacklustre for me.

His best: The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon (forgetting the lacklustre ending to the arc in the finale), The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, The Angels Take Manhattan are the most interesting for me.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then explicitly bashing him by saying he's had no good moments of any sort. It's unconstructive, rude and infuriating. Yes it's your opinion, but you could have expressed it far more tactfully.

I didn't say he's had no good moments. I stated The End of Time to be my most enjoyed episode since 2010, and then mentioned that I found the last section unsatisfactory. No comments were made about Matt Smith in general, his acting, or any of the subsequent episodes.

I think people on these boards are just far too willing to attack people whose opinions aren't deemed to be in line. :(:(:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The Doctor's wife, the girl who waited are the two that make me cry everytime
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt has had quite the era. The writing has been hit and miss, but I think defo more hit than miss, and when it hits... it hits awesome. For that reason, series 7 aside, I'm a massive Moffat/Matt Smith era fan. Well, that and Matt Smith is simply phenomenal.

The Eleventh Hour remains, for me, the perfect episode to introduce a new Doctor, companion and era to the show. It'll be difficult for Moff to top this for Doc 12 next year, but it's safe to assume he has this planned out already.

The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang are just brilliant. All the monsters banding together, River Song, Rory and of course the Doctor's heartbreaking speeches in the Pandorica and to little Amy.

I do think, though, Matt's best stories took place in series 6. The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon just stand head over heals above most other stories. They are so big and grand, twisting and turning so we have no idea what's going to happen next. It felt like the show had completely changed since Tennant, becoming more grand, which was a good thing. And Matt Smith was, of course, awesome.

There is also the Doctor's Wife... enough said. I also really like the Wedding of River Song. I think it was a clever way to show us how the Doctor escaped his death.

Sad to say, though, series 7 never really reached the heights of series 5 and 6. The problems with series 7 are not for this thread, as we are appreciating Matt's era and not complaining, but alas, following Eleventh Hour and Impossible Astronaut, Asylum of the Daleks just could not live up to it. Don't get me wrong; it's a mighty fine episode, but not on the same level. 2012's Who was not what I was expecting following the mostly awesome series 6.

I will say though that while the episodes have been weaker, the Snowmen defo stands out as the best Christmas special of them all imho. And of course, the extremely fan pleasing Name of the Doctor.

Alas, we only have 2 episodes left of Matt. Just the sight of 10 and 11 together is going to make me love the 50th, while the Christmas Special has the potential to be brilliant and heartbreaking. Therefore, I'm pretty sure we will see out Matt's era in style.
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    My favourites were 'The Lodger' and 'Vincent'. Probably because both these episodes were about convincing human characters going through believable, understandable human emotions/conflicts. (PS, was the actor who played 'Vincent' the same guy who played the Scottish plumber in 'This Life' back in the 90's? I'd cast him as the next Doctor. He's got a 'naturalness' about his performance that I like).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites were 'The Lodger' and 'Vincent'. Probably because both these episodes were about convincing human characters going through believable, understandable human emotions/conflicts. (PS, was the actor who played 'Vincent' the same guy who played the Scottish plumber in 'This Life' back in the 90's? I'd cast him as the next Doctor. He's got a 'naturalness' about his performance that I like).

Haha,that's a great idea, Tony Curran was absolutely brilliant as Vincent. Also, he's ginger, which is a bonus in my books. :D But then again,I'm not quite sure whether I could get used to him as the Doctor and not see him as Vincent van Gogh running around the universe.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I have just rewatched series 6 Matt smith. Gah, I watched the impossible astronaut, day of the moon, the rebel flesh, the almost people, good man goes to war, then let's kill Hitler, then the wedding of river song, just then it all made sense! LOL I must be a bit thick. Hooray for my local library having them in! Great arc really, divinely acted by matt