Phone Booth

Digi_MasterDigi_Master Posts: 732
Forum Member
✭✭
Just seen this movie and i thought it was okish. Its kinda short but how long can a movie with a man in a phone booth for the entire movie be? I dont think its out till friday, but what do you think this film will be like?

Comments

• iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i remember a spanish short film from about 12 years ago about a bloke who got stuck in phone booth. it was in a public place, and the booth was then taken away, whilst no-one batted an eyelid, to a sinister looking place with lots of other phone booths with people stuck in them......

it was a bit dark and very surreal - anyone else remember ever seeing this? (I swear I'm not making it up!) its not a remake of that do you know?

Iain

PS google to the rescue - apparently this film was indeed inspired by that spanish film.

review of phone booth

la cabina (actually from 1972!)
  • DX-WWEDX-WWE Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Phone Booth Is One Of The Best Thrillers I Have Ever Seen I Have Seen it About 6 Times Now And Have Just Put It On To DvD.
  • covfancovfan Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did like the ending to Phone Booth, Quite clever.
  • rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just watched it today too, had it for a week and only just got time to watch it, was a great film..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it a couple of months ago at a special advance screening....thought Colin Farrell, Forest Whittaker and Kiefer Sutherland were all superb

I could see Colin Farrell as the new James Bond in a few years
  • MartinRMartinR Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by iain
    i remember a spanish short film from about 12 years ago about a bloke who got stuck in phone booth. it was in a public place, and the booth was then taken away, whilst no-one batted an eyelid, to a sinister looking place with lots of other phone booths with people stuck in them......

it was a bit dark and very surreal - anyone else remember ever seeing this? (I swear I'm not making it up!) its not a remake of that do you know?

Iain

PS google to the rescue - apparently this film was indeed inspired by that spanish film.

review of phone booth

I remember this film Iain. At first the film is funny but it turns into a really scary story. I was about 8 when I first saw it and it put me off going in phone boxes unless they had a bit I could escape out of. I hope it is shown on TV again soon.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

This film has been out over a decade now but it still looks great. Really enjoyed this movie.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Ifirst saw the trailer for it in the cinema I thought it was a movie about the washington sniper
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film, shame that there's no sequel/follow on.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

Was crying for it, too.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Fun fact. Colin Farrell was not the original lead. That was Jim Carrey who left the project for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

Yes it seemed like they could have made a sequal.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rock8633 wrote: »
    Ive just watched it today too, had it for a week and only just got time to watch it, was a great film..
    LOL, I do love it when ancient threads are resurrected. It's like a 'How we used to live' fun-sheet ! 'Had it for a week'. Is that referring to Lovefilm and the like where DVDs were/ are posted to you I wonder? Does anyone still do that? Kids today will be thinking 'Eh, how can you 'have it for a week'? Netflix is instant' !

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i seen it ages ago..i think i saw it in poundland recently..Bit slow burner but i think it picked up nearer the end
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah, quite a good film. It just shows you that Joel Schumacher can make a decent film(he did it with Falling Down and Tigerland - I suppose). Colin Farrell gives a good performance - and of course we have Kiefer's fabulous voice. Great stuff.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Yeah, quite a good film. It just shows you that Joel Schumacher can make a decent film(he did it with Falling Down and Tigerland - I suppose). Colin Farrell gives a good performance - and of course we have Kiefer's fabulous voice. Great stuff.

A Time To Kill, The Client, Flatliners and The Lost Boys aren't bad either.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain

review of phone booth

I do remember seeing it. I think it was shown in the late 80s on British TV.
    It was a time when there was more chance of watching interesting stuff like this on terrestrial British TV. Now you tend to need to go online to watch shorts like this.

I really like short films like this.

Edit: Good grief, I've only now realised that I've just answered a post which was made 12 years ago.:o
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do remember seeing it. I think it was shown in the late 80s on British TV.
    It was a time when there was more chance of watching interesting stuff like this on terrestrial British TV. Now you tend to need to go online to watch shorts like this.

I really like short films like this.

Edit: Good grief, I've only now realised that I've just answered a post which was made 12 years ago.:o

Better late than never:-)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this film. It was shot in under 3 weeks, wasn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I love this film. It was shot in under 3 weeks, wasn't it?

One of the actors in it is also in Taken 3 right?
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, this is Colin Farrell's best performance. I thought he was terrific in the lead role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    For me, this is Colin Farrell's best performance. I thought he was terrific in the lead role.

Shame his only similar role Total Recall was a let down.
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain

review of phone booth

A weird thread to come across - not just the age gap between the posts.

I saw La Cabina in the 80s and never met anyone else who had seen it. It stuck with me though.

About 15/16 years ago I was with some friends in a cafe in Clapham and it came up in conversation. A guy at the next table leant over and said he had seen it. I was so relieved. We both said that we had got to the point where were we thought we had dreamt it.

Phone Booth I went to see, about halfway through I was so bored I wanted to leave. Next thing the fire alarm is going off in the cinema. We had to evacuate and were given the option of the next screening or our money back. It was great, got out early and went for pizza. Never have seen the end of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it's on again tomorrow night ( film 4) or movie mix..I have bought it from poundland and will watch it soon..might be later not sure what to watch
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if I should wait 5 years before posting

It's a great film, really enjoyed it. I haven't seen it for a few years though