Free word processing software for PC that's Mac friendly

I'm borrowing a PC from somebody to write an essay. The laptop is only a couple of years old, but because it's never used, doesn't have Microsoft Office on it.

So I need a very basic, free piece of software I can install which will allow me to type basic pages, but save them out to a format which i can then open on my mac, either in Pages.app or a a plain text file.

Any suggestions? For the sake of these little jobs I don't want to bother trying to get hold of a cheap copy of Microsoft office...

Thanks.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nightofjoy wrote: »
    I'm borrowing a PC from somebody to write an essay. The laptop is only a couple of years old, but because it's never used, doesn't have Microsoft Office on it.

So I need a very basic, free piece of software I can install which will allow me to type basic pages, but save them out to a format which i can then open on my mac, either in Pages.app or a a plain text file.

Any suggestions? For the sake of these little jobs I don't want to bother trying to get hold of a cheap copy of Microsoft office...

Thanks.

Use wordpad already built into Windows. You can save as a text file or rtf format etc.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    What about Open Office or Libre Office?
  • nightofjoynightofjoy Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Apache Open Office?

Will that - or Libre save out files from the PC laptop that I can process on my mac at home?

Thanks.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .doc & .docx seem compatible, would probably stick to .doc in case of possible docx microsoft format weirdness

if word processor alone will do try abiword, full office suite try libreoffice 5
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apache Open Office?

Will that - or Libre save out files from the PC laptop that I can process on my mac at home?

Thanks.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202227 seems apple pages leaves you very limited for file formats ... but as I mentioned before saving as .doc should be ok

or, grand solution - install libreoffice on both pc & mac
    Forum Member
    Probably gonna go with LibreOffice or Apache Open Office, or both and see which I prefer.

Thanks for all the advice
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Office is pretty much dead these days. LibreOffice forked from the same code base but has much more active development.

The latest version of LibreOffice, 5.0, just added some basic support for the Pages file formats (i think it's import only though).

Mac OS X did have some support for the open document format that LibreOffice (and OpenOffice) use, but i don't know how good it is. You can export a .doc file from LibreOffice and open it in Pages though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably gonna go with LibreOffice or Apache Open Office, or both and see which I prefer.

Thanks for all the advice

based on your orginal post, these are sledgehammers to crack a nut, but good alternatives to Word.

Actually do you know you can use online versions (cut down) of MS word anyway.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple Pages will open and save documents in the Word .doc format.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are able to go online, I wouldn't bother downloading and installing anything, just use either Google Docs or Microsoft Word Web App - both are free and accessed through your browser.
    Forum Member
    I might do that, I'll see which works best for me, thanks.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Pages or Libreoffice.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    LibreOffice is pretty good and works on all platforms, including Linux. I used it on my Mac for a while and never had any trouble opening files saved in it on the Dark Side.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might do that, I'll see which works best for me, thanks.

Similarly to Google Docs and Microsoft Office Web Apps, Apple also has an online office suite at iCloud.com so you can directly write in Pages Web App and things will be familiar to you if you use Pages on your Mac.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Similarly to Google Docs and Microsoft Office Web Apps, Apple also has an online office suite at iCloud.com so you can directly write in Pages Web App and things will be familiar to you if you use Pages on your Mac.

Pages via icloud.com is great, but it now insists on you having icloud drive enabled.
    Be careful you check what is invloved there before saying yes to enable it.
    Forum Member
    LibreOffice is pretty good and works on all platforms, including Linux. I used it on my Mac for a while and never had any trouble opening files saved in it on the Dark Side.

OK, So I went with LibreOffice. Which file type do I need to save out as to be able to open in pages on mac? Options below. Thanks.

Text
    Microsoft Word 2003 XML
    ODF Text Document
    Unified Office Format Text
    Microsoft Word 97-2003
    DocBook
    Flat XML ODF Text Ducument
    Text - Choose Encoding
    Microsoft Word 2007 - 2013 XML
    Rich Text
    ODF Text Document Template
    HTML Document (writer)
    Microsoft Word 97-2003 Template
    Office Open XML Text
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, So I went with LibreOffice. Which file type do I need to save out as to be able to open in pages on mac? Options below. Thanks.

Text
    Microsoft Word 2003 XML
    ODF Text Document
    Microsoft Word 97-2003
    DocBook
    Text - Choose Encoding
    Rich Text
    HTML Document (writer)
    Office Open XML Text

Rich Text (.rtf files) are certainly transferable to Mac.

Based on your original requirements. This would work.

I think Libre Office is available for Mac anyway, so I assume any will do really.
    Forum Member
    Oh... of course, I can just stick Libre on my mac too [smacks head]

Thanks.;-)
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WPS office is my free office suite of choice at the moment.

They do versions for Windows, Android, Mac, IOS, so there should be no compatibility issues between platforms.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh... of course, I can just stick Libre on my mac too [smacks head]

Thanks.;-)

One advantage of using OpenDocument format (which I think LibreOffice uses by default) is that it's what everyone supports - even Microsoft in later versions of their Office - so (in theory) if you had to email something to a Windows user with MS Office it should let them open and edit it too.

(and it's the format that the UK government uses now, for this reason)
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    WPS office is my free office suite of choice at the moment.

They do versions for Windows, Android, Mac, IOS, so there should be no compatibility issues between platforms.

It was mine until the latest updates that made the free version next to useless thanks to watermarks on printing and PDFs. Using Libre Office 5 now. Although that's not a bad thing, as my company I work for use it also (as many seem to be these days).

Mark
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Text
    Microsoft Word 2003 XML
    ODF Text Document
    Microsoft Word 97-2003
    DocBook
    Text - Choose Encoding
    Rich Text
    HTML Document (writer)
    Office Open XML Text

Any of them as I thought the point was to have the same software on PC and Mac

(just say your post above but thought I'd leave this comment here for all of those PC only people who appear to know very little about Macs but still seem to feel it worth misleading you)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    Any of them as I thought the point was to have the same software on PC and Mac

(just say your post above but thought I'd leave this comment here for all of those PC only people who appear to know very little about Macs but still seem to feel it worth misleading you)

If you read the threads properly, you would see OP has chosen Open LibreOffice and asked the question about formats before realised the question was irrelevant as he could put same in both. I see no tangible evidence of anybody trying to mislead the OP.