Options

Quick question about return-postage charges.

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
If I stick something back into the post as "return to sender", do they get hit with any kind of penalty-surcharge or do they just have to pay whatever postage is due?

I ordered some taps for the bathroom a couple of days ago and they've arrived... along with 2 other parcels containing another two sets of taps.

I checked my credit card and I've only paid for one set so there's no worries there.

They were really helpful on the phone when I was ordering them, it's a small company rather than a chain-store and their delivery was super-speedy so I think it's only fair to return the surplus items.

The taps are pretty heavy so two sets of them are going to be quite expensive to post and, TBH, it'll be a hassle to get them weighed so I know how much postage will be.

If the company gets hit with some kind of surcharge for something that's returned I suppose I'll have to contact them, ask them for a partial refund and then use the money to pay for return-postage.

It'd be far simpler just to write "return to sender" on the parcels and bung 'em back in the post but I don't want to do that if it means they'll get slapped with some kind of surcharge.

Comments

• Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the simplest solution be to just contact the company and ask them what they'd like you to do with the parcels?
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact the seller and let them know and ask what they want you to do. If they want them back they can pay for the return.

I don't get why you think you would be entitled to a partial refund if the company are charged for you sending them back return to sender. They would be charged before be delivery is made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would the simplest solution be to just contact the company and ask them what they'd like you to do with the parcels?

Not really. The simplest solution would just be to hand them back to the postie tomorrow morning, rather than having to get the parcels weighed so I know what postage will cost, arrange for the company to give me a partial refund to cover the expense of posting them, drive into town, queue in the post office and get them posted.
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I don't get why you think you would be entitled to a partial refund if the company are charged for you sending them back return to sender. They would be charged before be delivery is made.

To cover the expense of me returning the surplus items.

Beyond that, if anybody can answer the question I actually asked, I'd appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're over complicating this.
    you simply contact the company, tell them you have the boxes and should they require them back then to arrange collection of them.

they can then decide whether the cost of it all is worth it compared to the cost of the items.

the post man isn't going to take 2 heavy boxes off you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you're over complicating this.
    you simply contact the company, tell them you have the boxes and should they require them back then to arrange collection of them.

Heh!

You know, it honestly never occurred to me just to ask them to have the parcels collected. :D

I order quite a bit of stuff by post, off the internet, and it's always a hassle to return stuff.
    I guess I must be too used to dealing with half-assed companies.