Options

Buying a Printer

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking to get a printer never had one myself before will be used mainly for printing off jobs and other stuff budget wise £25-£30 any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Really depends, if it's a lot of black and white I'd go laser, they may cost a little more under £100 but their cheaper to run, and don't need to be constantly used like inkjets, to avoid heads drying up etc.

If you want to do a bit of colour you can get a colour laser for about £130 or so I have a dell colour laser and again much cheaper than a inkjet, I think the tonners are about £30-£35 each.

Inkjets are really only good for photo printing. They are popular due to their cheap initial purchase price and the fact you can get them with scanners and fax's etc. But you soon realise that using first party cartridges becomes expensive.
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laser if just for office type docs. In my local town Home Bargains are selling a laser for £30. Probably cheaper to buy a new one when the toner runs out than get a new cartridge. have an Epson XP 202 inkjet. £25 set of 30 ink carts for £11 from e-Bay. Prints fine.

Tip is to check on internet for either ink carts (compatible) or toner carts before buying the printer.
  • Options
    Real FanReal Fan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=CX015B&opt=BHC&sel=PRN#merch-customer-reviews

How about this one. We have a laserjet 1020 and it has been excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    No point buying a cheap printer that cost more to run in ink tha it does to buy the printer. I have a canon mp560 its very cheap to run. It will still let you print if ot think its out of ink.

Cheap prinkers have smaller ink cartridges. So cost more to run.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for a basic color inkjet, try a HP Deskjet 2540...
    this family of HP inkjets feature straight through paper travel and the ink just last forever - long after the warnings start appearing.