Deleting multiple images in Excel

Can anyone suggest a way to solve an annoying issue?

I've been copying tabulated data from a website onto a spreadsheet....unfortunately, the data contains many images in the form of "logos" within it's cells, which automatically appear on Excel, once copied.

Is there an easy way to select them all for deletion? I mean, without clicking on each one in turn and holding down "Ctrl"?

It won't let me simply "delete column" (they refuse to go away!)

Any ideas?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    one thing that springs to mind would be to save, export, copy etc your spreadsheet with a format that does not support images.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if pasting the table into Word first would allow the images to be removed? If they are in a single column Word may let you delete the column. Then you can copy and paste into Excel.

Alternatively use the Convert Table to Text option in Word and use Tabs as the delimiters. Then save the file as plain text. That should get rid of the images (will also probably generate several warnings). You should then be able to import the tab delimited file back into Excel. You'll also lose any text formatting doing it like this if that is important to you.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are all the images in columns by themselves (so the problem amounts to wanting to delete some complete columns but it won't let you do that)?

If so, then you could copy and paste each of the columns you want to keep into a new spreadsheet, omitting the columns with the images but leaving those columns in the new spreadsheet empty. Then delete the empty columns in the new spreadsheet, which should automatically adjust all the formulas.

Apologies if I've misunderstood the problem.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find those Images are not in the Cells.

The Images move with the cells due to their Properties if you look, so they just appear to be in the cells.

Which is why you can select them all and Delete, but selecting the Row/Column then Deleting Contents does not work.

I'm sure you can write a Excel Macro to do the job with one key press. Worth doing if it's a regular thing.

Pasting into Word resulting in a table and so on. Then into Excel, I would think even more long winded, but eventually it should work.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you tried:

when pasting right click and choose paste special. then choose the option for text
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The best way to do this is to use a web query from within excel
  • JIMO96JIMO96 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.....the problem is solved, having pooled a few of the ideas generated here together.

The "macro" thing is beyond my capabilities I'm afraid, but the solution was far simpler: it turns out I could extract the data from within the cells that contained both data and images. So it was just a case of saving that data to another worksheet, and deleting the sheet I'd copied it to originally(!)

God I can be so thick sometimes....it just needs a quick visit here for the solution, or for someone to get me thinking along the right lines. Thanks again guys!