Which historical figures should the Doctor meet?

2»

Comments

• SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Austen.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elizabeth Bathory - that weird blood loving serial killer. They could smooth out the edges and make her some sort of alien and blur out the ritual sacrifice lol.
  • pongobillypongobilly Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    billy the kid
    socrates
    genghis kahn
    joan of arc

hold on? were going a bit bill and ted here :D
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WebbieOTW wrote: »

WHAAAT?! What are the chances of that! :D
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elizabeth Bathory - that weird blood loving serial killer. They could smooth out the edges and make her some sort of alien and blur out the ritual sacrifice lol.

ITV1, 22:35 tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    robin hood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter
    Noel Fielding
    Gary Barlow
    Muse
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd never have a story like that. As he and his victims are still alive.

If that's story worthy, then why not Ian Brady and Myra Hindley?

Never going to happen.

er...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    There have been plenty of TV dramas about the Yorkshire Ripper already - I dont thnk they have to be dead to have shows made about them. Having Dr Who investigating would be interesting.

I think programmes about child murderers etc would be unsuitable for a family audience, however, so no Myra Hintley and Ian Brady should not feature.

I dont think theres a problem having stories featuring other famous murderers however, Crippen, 10 Rillington Place etc.
    It would be a good way to introduce these fascinating but macabre stories to a younger audience.

Only misogynist rapist-murderers then...

What planet are you on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking some of the suggestions here - Conan Doyle is a really interesting figure, as is Jesse James and many of the others mentioned.

My favourite suggestion is Elvis in a bubba ho-tep style. That would be fantastic - and as everyone knows he was kidnapped by aliens... well, I think you can see where I'm going.

For what it's worth, my suggestions would be Darwin, Einstein, and kubrick (pre-2001 maybe?).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pazozo wrote: »
    Oscar Wilde

Ooh I'd love that! It would be interesting to see him and the doctor trying to out clever talk eachother:p
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One I'd really like to see is Steven Hawking taken back to the Solvay Conference of 1927 and then the entire gathering taken forward to some point in the distant future.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia Plath
  • poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only misogynist rapist-murderers then...

What planet are you on?

I think certain interesing murderers featuring on Dr Who would be very interesting and fascinating to see how Dr Who solves the crimes and sorts out the problems.

It would also be a good way to introduce a sense of macabre gently to a younger audience.

Certainly Crippen, Sutcliffe and Nielson could feature but I would draw the line, to be clear, at Brady, Huntley etc.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    pongobilly wrote: »
    hold on? were going a bit bill and ted here :D

Bill and Ted? , traveling through time in a phone box, what a ridiculous idea

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Harry Potter
    Noel Fielding
    Gary Barlow
    Muse

I love how you have Noel down as a historical figure :D you haven't time-travelled have you? :p

Historical figures..*thinks*.. James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Einstein, Henry VIII (has to be played by Ray Winstone :D)...not sure if he counts as a historical figure but Kurt Cobain possibly?

And to the FM who suggested Jesus...that would be utter genius! Controversial, but brilliantly so :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    George Formby
    Laurel & Hardy
    Kenny Everett

:o
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie Borden
    Anne Boleyn
    The Beatles (will never happen due to copyright issues!!!)
    Bonnie Prince Charlie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think certain interesing murderers featuring on Dr Who would be very interesting and fascinating to see how Dr Who solves the crimes and sorts out the problems.

It would also be a good way to introduce a sense of macabre gently to a younger audience.

Certainly Crippen, Sutcliffe and Nielson could feature but I would draw the line, to be clear, at Brady, Huntley etc.

No. I think it's totally innappropriate for Doctor Who, and I think the plots would be completely unworkable.

Sutcliffe was a violent killer. After killing his victims, he sexually abused their corpses. The brutal murders and attacks were committed using hideous, everyday weapons such as knives, hammers, ball point pens, and sharpened screwdrivers. Explain to me how it is possible to represent this in Doctor Who, what possible doctor who plot lines could be hung from these events, and tell me whether you can possibly maintain these events have a place on the show?
  • poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I think it's totally innappropriate for Doctor Who, and I think the plots would be completely unworkable.

Sutcliffe was a violent killer. After killing his victims, he sexually abused their corpses. The brutal murders and attacks were committed using hideous, everyday weapons such as knives, hammers, ball point pens, and sharpened screwdrivers. Explain to me how it is possible to represent this in Doctor Who, what possible doctor who plot lines could be hung from these events, and tell me whether you can possibly maintain these events have a place on the show?

The gory details of the murders do not need to be disclosed on the programme. The general storyline could feature and Dr Who could be investigating women disappearing in the 1970s etc.

After all the idea of a mass murderer as a character in Dr Who is not unusual.

It would alsop be a gentle and unoffesnive way to bring the story of the Yorkshire Ripper to a family audience.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gory details of the murders do not need to be disclosed on the programme. The general storyline could feature and Dr Who could be investigating women disappearing in the 1970s etc.

After all the idea of a mass murderer as a character in Dr Who is not unusual.

It would alsop be a gentle and unoffesnive way to bring the story of the Yorkshire Ripper to a family audience.

Award for the most bizarre and unbelievable sentence I've ever read on this forum....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    I love how you have Noel down as a historical figure :D you haven't time-travelled have you? :p

And to the FM who suggested Jesus...that would be utter genius! Controversial, but brilliantly so :cool:

I have time-travelled, and in 500 years time, it is no longer Jesus on the cross, but Noel Fielding, in golden pixie boots and cowboy hat and poncho, and schools study the Book of the Boosh rather than the Bible. Wearing ponchos is compulsory, and those who refuse (emos, if you like), are locked in chambers and made to listen to Radiohead.

So, don't bother having Jesus in DW - get Noel Fielding instead :D
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had a time machine I think the first thing I'd do is go and follow Lord Lucan. I love that mystery, and am fascinated by it
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Cochran
    (legendary 1950s rock'n'roller, who influenced the Beatles, The Who and the Sex Pistols among others, and who was killed in a car crash in Chippenham, Wiltshire on 17th April 1960, exactlly 50 years ago today)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    I have time-travelled, and in 500 years time, it is no longer Jesus on the cross, but Noel Fielding, in golden pixie boots and cowboy hat and poncho, and schools study the Book of the Boosh rather than the Bible. Wearing ponchos is compulsory, and those who refuse (emos, if you like), are locked in chambers and made to listen to Radiohead.

So, don't bother having Jesus in DW - get Noel Fielding instead :D

LMAO

That would be genius. We have to make that happen. :D:D