Carla & Peter / Alison & Chris - Discussion/Appreciation/Fandom (3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Thanks! :D

I imagine we might get the odd few clips in between scenes. I liked Peter's joke about Tracy/Rob - telling him if she whines she probably needs putting out for a wee :D I think I like Carla/Peter best when they're being sarcastic :D Also one of the ways I think makes them a good match :)

I was wondering where Simon was these days. That said, I don't miss him too much if all we're going to get is more of him being a brat to Carla :rolleyes: would be nice to see a new/different storyline for him - or even Amy, we haven't seen her for a while either.

Afraid I'm not sure about this one - fingers crossed, more scenes are def. a positive :)

Ah I loved that too! Both Carla and Peter have quite a witty sense of humor. It's great when we actually get to see them express it. These little laid back, easy going scenes are always do refreshing. Granted the episode it's self was full of drama and chaos, it's nice to see the two of them lifting the mood a bit. I hope we get more of that!

I agree, I don't want to see Simon being a total brat towards Carla again, I'd like to see him being a bit easier on her and actually giving her a chance. I understand why he's been that way, but she has always been kind, nice and sometimes even playful with him, trying to make him laugh etc. surely by now he'd be warming up to her a bit? Children are much more adaptive than adults. He took to Nick perfectly fine.
  • Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not intended to sound pessimistic though I am aware it will sound it: I honestly don't believe we will ever see a Carla and Peter wedding. Granted we might see an engagement, but I think that a couple like that, who live dangerously and thrive on the passion and unpredictability - even if they crave small doses of stability and docile family life - and have weaknesses and damaged pasts and have so far endured quite the rollercoaster of a relationship, are not destined to ever be married and that they will instead have periods of intense bliss followed by periods of implosion and self-destruction.
    I don't know if it's so much because of their (self)destructive personalities, but I do agree that, if we're being realistic and true to the characters, which the writers often aren't, then a wedding is doubtful. More than anything, I think just because they've both had disastrous marriages in the past, and Carla seems to have pledged never to marry again after what happened with Tony and now Frank. I just don't think it would necessarily be top their to-do lists. Maybe one day they will do, but I doubt either are overly bothered about a big wedding. Let's face it, there wouldn't be a huge amount of people in a rush to wish them well!
    Having said that, I can see Peter, if they're still together in a year or so, maybe wanting to get married just to make everything official, maybe just for Simon's sake, especially if he ever decided to fight for custody again (please no).

I think a really good storyline for them could actually be for Peter to decide to propose, seeing his processes before that and his reasons why, and for Carla to be unsure about it. Cue discussions with Michelle and Rob, potential fights with Peter etc.
    I just don't associate the stability and domesticity with Carla and Peter - rightly or wrongly, and I think peter's 'living in sin' comment perfect summarised their relationship for me. I think in part my view is influenced by the inevitability of an unhappy ending in soap and the fact that the producers/story tellers will want to take these two dramatic and intense characters in 'explosive' directions and really test their relationship and it is more than likely these two wont have the happy ending so many of us will then to have.
    As sad as this makes me, I definitely think there will come a time when the writers decide to split them up, especially if one actor decides to leave. Although I think they have far more potential for 'dramatic' storylines as a couple than apart, it's soap law that no couple can be happy forever, and I can't see Carla and Peter being the ones to go against that.
    I agree about them not really seeming domestic, although to be fair both have proven before that they can be (Peter with Leanne and Carla with Paul) and they seem to be shuffling along fairly nicely and without any drama at the moment, so perhaps they can be with each other in time.

I don't actually think there's really any need for them to get married though, and I kind of agree with Carla when she said she's happy as they are. You don't need a piece of paper these days to show your dedication to someone, and to someone like Peter, with his bigamist past etc, it wouldn't really mean anything to either of them anyway. Peter is already practically part of Carla's family, and I'm sure in time the Barlows will feel the same about Carla.

Having said that, the idea of seeing them with a big, glamorous wedding does make me excited!
    Hey all!

Long time no see I realise, just thought I'd pop in and say hello now I've finally got my internet sorted :)

*does a happy dance*

Nice to see the thread's on part 3, and a few new posters :)

*belatedly welcomes new posters / Carter fans*

Also - enjoyed Carla & Peter's little proposal discussion - and I'm crossing my fingers for something very romantic / summer wedding :p
    <3<3<3<3

Hope to pop in more often / catch up properly soon. Hope everyone's doing okay with college / uni / work / life in general :D
    Welcome back! *waves* You've been missed!
    I have to admit, I’m not 100% convinced the writers will be able to resist giving Carla and Peter a big dramatic wedding but that being said, I love the fact that they are, evidently, happy as they are, and I agree that Peter’s ‘living in sin’ comment is very apt and summarised their relationship - as it is now - perfectly.
    It does, actually. I think there's a lot of scope for a big, dramatic wedding and like you said, it must be tempting for the writers. I mean, think of the amount of drama it could cause: Leanne wouldn't be happy, it could somehow affect his position with Simon, Simon hates Carla so he'd be against it, Tracey would most likely meddle, Michelle may feel pushed out... And just think of all the scaving one liners they could give Leanne, Stella, Deirdre etc (Oh if only Blanche were still around) as they express their unhappiness.
    They really are the Burton and Taylor of the cobbles. And some of the so-called negative aspects of Peter and Carla’s relationship may end up working in their favour, in the long run.
    As a couple, they can be very unpredictable, dangerous and destructive but that makes for dramatic, compulsive viewing and it’s predominantly about drama. Yes, they do have a passionate relationship but let’s face it; if their relationship was solely functioning on lust, it would have crashed and burned a very long time ago and they would have given up - probably at the first hurdle, so to speak. The fact that there has always been a deep (forbidden) and intense love there, is what I believe; they will keep fighting for, and it will ultimately keep bringing them back together - like it always has done. I imagine it will be that pull of love that will also continue to carry them through some of the bad times (which they have already had their fair share of), even if there comes a time when - as damaged individuals - they are the worst thing for each other. It is also, in a way, an addictive relationship and because they have such a connection, I doubt it will ever be over.
    Basically this. What I love so much about them is that they're so much more complex, both individually and together, than almost any other soap/tv couple, and the way they go from being happy and content to everything being crazy and throwing glasses at the wall and staying out all night on benders, but somehow always end up back together again is just brilliant. Take the whole Simon/custody battle thing for example: Most couples would have been completely over after that confrontation in the flat ("you're just wrong" :cry:) and yet they came through it, slightly unrealistically, and ended up stronger for it. Yeah ok so that's a swooping comment and it was nowhere near as fairytale-like as that, but still.
    And as for the people who say it's all just lust, they clearly must be watching a different show, because like you said, that would have fizzled out months, years ago. The fact that they've stayed together through all the crap that's happened is proof in itself that it's more than that. And even in the early days, it was almost everything but lust that brought them together: a shared pain, mutual support and comfort, and what I genuinely think is probably one of the deepest and most genuine of understandings that either have had from anyone.
    BIB - Sorry but I can't think of anyone else besides Liam and Carla as the Taylor and Burton of Corrie! I know what you mean though, and in many ways actually I think Carter are kind of like what Liarla might have been like had Liam not died, minus the going off on benders part.

Naaat wrote: »
    Ah I loved that too! Both Carla and Peter have quite a witty sense of humor. It's great when we actually get to see them express it. These little laid back, easy going scenes are always do refreshing. Granted the episode it's self was full of drama and chaos, it's nice to see the two of them lifting the mood a bit. I hope we get more of that!
    I actually almost prefer their little, laid back scenes, just chatting to other characters or to each other, talking about silly things and going to the Bistro than I do their big dramatic scenes. Granted those scenes are fantastic and they bounce off each other brilliantly, but seeing them in a kind of natural, happy state is just lovely. Like you said they both a great sense of humour, and I love Peter's interactions with Rob and Michelle. I just wish we saw more of Carla interacting with Peter's lot.

On a completely unrelated topic, I had a really weird dream last night. It wasn't about corrie particularly. but for some odd reason in between me and load of random people from various periods of my life - school friends, college tutors etc living in some kind of boat and having to complete tasks, I'm a Celeb-style, my Dad announced to me that he somehow knew that Hayley was going to commit suicide in six weeks time, hence her exit, and I was sworn to secrecy. I have NO idea where any of that came from, but just thought I'd share!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Holz_ wrote: »
    As sad as this makes me, I definitely think there will come a time when the writers decide to split them up, especially if one actor decides to leave. Although I think they have far more potential for 'dramatic' storylines as a couple than apart, it's soap law that no couple can be happy forever, and I can't see Carla and Peter being the ones to go against that.
    I agree about them not really seeming domestic, although to be fair both have proven before that they can be (Peter with Leanne and Carla with Paul) and they seem to be shuffling along fairly nicely and without any drama at the moment, so perhaps they can be with each other in time.

This is what I've been thinking, it's very rarely in soaps that couples get that happy ending and end up together forever. Not everyone ends up like Ken and Deirdre, and even they have their problems. In soap world marital bliss is very short-lived.
    The Petanne moment over Christmas, I think is obviously a cause for concern. Especially after Carla asked him to his face if she should be worried and he said no. If it comes out what was said, and this is a soap so eventually it will, the fact that Peter lied to Carla may actually be more problematic than the fact that he went to Leanne in the first place. Having said that, right now they seem to be very happy together and I just hope the writers keep this up for a while before painfully tearing them apart.
    I actually almost prefer their little, laid back scenes, just chatting to other characters or to each other, talking about silly things and going to the Bistro than I do their big dramatic scenes. Granted those scenes are fantastic and they bounce off each other brilliantly, but seeing them in a kind of natural, happy state is just lovely. Like you said they both a great sense of humour, and I love Peter's interactions with Rob and Michelle. I just wish we saw more of Carla interacting with Peter's lot.

It's what I love about their current situation. They're so relaxed and comfortable together, the genuinely enjoy being around each other. It's a joy to watch their scenes. Though I have noticed some Petanne fans on this forum stating how uncomfortable Peter seems with Carla? Excuse me but no, I think that's wishful thinking on their part. Peter seems to be more than comfortable with Carla. There was something said about her draping herself over him, how it's rude or something. I'm sorry but what man wouldn't absolutely LOVE having Carla draped over them? Peter seemed very happy and comfortable with that. They looked the perfect couple. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some Petanne fans are so delusional it's not even true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand completely were the Burton and Taylor and Carla and Peter links came from. If only because Peter Barlow is a lot like Richard Burton in so many ways, before Carla gets involved.

If interested in this stuff and haven't read A furious love, which are letters between the two during the early years, or the Richard Burton's diaries released last year. There are some online about their 2nd marriage and beyond it. They are both astonishing.

Richard Burton was an alcoholic, womeniser, had a massive huge ego, was bitter, conflicted and tortured over being who he was and should be. He had a bad temper, sarcastic and was disillusioned for most of the time.

When Richard was with Elizabeth he talked about and loved her passionately and wanted to look after her and give her everything, when she was unwell and drinking heavily , he was torn up and couldn't handle her in decline and vice versa. The words he uses to describe her and there connection is un real. But at the same time they was both destructive for each other because of there shared battle with alcohol primarily, there tempers and not being able to control any of it or stop the intense way they felt.

I think that is were the Carla and Peter link comes from, more than just the Burton thing of being on and off and feisty and passionate. I think it's the alcohol issues and the dependency bit too. And that some people think because Carla has alcohol problems it makes Peter's worse and they bring out the worse in each other because of that, when really noone else can really get it or help them either.

I actually don't think carter are as bad as that or made out to be, they are capable of the calm and capable of love and being comfortable and contented together, it's all about good writing and not being lazy. They have proven when they go through tough things, despite what is said and they may do, they come back together. There has to be a balance between the balance and the conflict and there happy periods, And I hope they keep that balance with what ever drama they come up with.
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame no Carla/ Carter. Really wanted a scene with Ken and Deirdre, I wonder why Ali and Bill were filming a while ago?
  • LibbyScottLibbyScott Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there will be a few scenes in tomorrow's episodes
  • princesseggnessprincesseggness Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Hey lovely people! :)

I hope you have all had a lovely weekend. I've not really stopped,..until now, that is. I've been running around sorting things out on the domestic front. So, I'm a bit knackered tbh. I thought I'd pop in and say hello. :)

Welcome back Carla Barlow!...*waves*

I was going to MQ, as some of you have really good posts here atm. In particular, Rayof, Yourfab and Holz. So, cheers! :) Sadly, I'm a bit pushed for time and v v tired. Soz!:eek:

I have to agree on the whole unpredictability, tempestuousness, passion and complexity that make Carter so enthralling to behold. It is certainly why I'm verging on, dare I say it,...addicted to watching the beauty of them. Whilst I'd love to watch them get married,...eventually, I would have to admit that I wouldn't mind whether they do, or don't, so long as we get to watch that journey in all its complexity. Let's face it, even if they did finally get engaged, whether or not Carla would make it down the aisle to Peter, would be an adventure and journey in itself. Just imagine the lead up to it?! :) It would be like no other. Because, these characters are like no other. Whether they marry, don't get married - it is their actual relationship that is immensely fascinating for all of us,..clearly.

And, yes, because they are such passionate, damaged-souls, they are just as likely to stay together in their intensity, desire and deep love for each other, as they are to pull each other apart by the own individual demons. And, YES soap-lore dictates, that their relationship will not be forever, or even plain-sailing for that matter. But, I have to agree with some of you, that the deep connection that they do have for one another, will inevitably bring them back to each other somehow, even if they do split for a period.

I think if the TPTB, are resolved to do them any justice, then these characters will always somehow find their way back to each other. Besides, we know Carla loves deeply and intensely. And, you will recall her actually saying that she supposes that she will love Peter probably until the day she dies. So, unless, one of the actors decides to move on to pastures new, I reckon Carter is a relationship that will be full of light and shade,...fractured, but altogether enduring. Ultimately, a relationship that has so many dimensions that we can only ever envisage and bear witness to what might pass.

Incidentallly, I wouldn't say Peter lied, when Carla asked him whether she should be worried,...during the Xmas episodes. Admittedly, Peter behaved pretty questionably in Carla's absence. But, we have to remember, that Peer was under no illusion that Carla was about to return. Plus, I am still of the opinion that Peter's actions were all about trying to dissuade Leanne from getting hitched with Nick - a man that Peter despises. I think Peter's dubious actions during the X'mas period were fuelled by Peter trying to recapture something that he felt he had missed and somehow lost out on, with regards to the family dynamic. That is, when there was just Peter, Simon and Leanne again,..and hanging out. When, Carla returned suddenly, and after the events that unfolded, asked Peter whether she should be worried, and Peter said "no" - IMO, Peter meant it. It seems clear to me that Peter, despite his unpredictability,...loves Carla very much. I feel that Peter had resolved to make a go of things with Carla, seeing as she had returned to him, when he thought that he had lost her, no doubt. Plus, I actually think that Peter had every opportunity of being with Leanne for the foreseeable, if that is what he had wanted. Lest we forget, Peter like Carla, if they want something, they invariably go after it.

Seeing the recent little scenes involving Carter at the moment,...I have no reason to think Peter misses Leanne in the slightest. But, I do think Peter does want things civil now. I think he kind of envied what he witnessed with Dev and Sunita, before the fire, when Dev and Sunita were verging on getting back together, and getting on again. I think Peter now wants civil relations with Leanne, for the sake of Simon. Personally, I'm hoping we get civil relations with Simon and Carla at some point as well. *crosses fingers*.

Anyway, for the love of Carter,...long may it continue. :)

Bye for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natalie Gumede's interview with Radio Times:
    Is there anyone on the cast with whom you’d have liked to work with more?
    Oh gosh, yeah. People like Alison King, Jane Danson and Chris Gascoyne are always at the forefront of the show for a reason and it's because they’re really brave, exciting actors. So it would’ve been lovely to have worked with those guys more.
    Forum Member
    LibbyScott wrote: »
    Natalie Gumede's interview with Radio Times:

Cheers Libby! :)
    Always good to hear talented actress nod positively at other talented actors/actresses. :)
    Forum Member
    Such a shame no Carla/ Carter. Really wanted a scene with Ken and Deirdre, I wonder why Ali and Bill were filming a while ago?

Well,... it appears that Ken and Dreary haven't moved out of Peter and Carla's flat just yet. Although Ken did say they would be moving out today/tomorrow? So, maybe we will get a small scene of Carla and Deirdre being awkward at Peter's on Monday, or something. I mean, I would imagine that is exactly what must have been happening when Peter popped out today, leaving the women to make small talk, whilst Peter went to buy some milk. :D

I don't know why I was a bit annoyed hearing Ken at Roy's Cafe, when he mentioned that he was staying at "Peter's flat". He didn't say, "Peter and Carla's", he said, "Peter's flat". I mean, I know it IS Peter's flat. But, to me, it would kind of been a way of Ken reinforcing to everyone that Carter are together somehow. Oh, I don't know,..it just irked me a little somehow. Ignore me. :o
    Forum Member
    I'm really off now. So bye, bye. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Libby! :)
    Always good to hear talented actress nod positively at other talented actors/actresses. :)

No problem :)

Some excellent points btw! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member

I actually love that Ali and Chris themselves seem to be quite close as friends lately! There's slowly becoming more and more spottings of them together and more frequently. It makes me haaaaaappy! <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLc wrote: »
    I think i'll come and join all you Carla/Ali fans in here! *waves* :-)
    Kelly-x wrote: »
    Hey everyone
    Just recently got a digital spy account :-)
    Love Carla/ Alison King so thought i would come and join you in your discussions :-)

Welcome MissLc and Kelly, we're a friendly bunch. :) Apologies if there are any other newbies I've not quoted, but if so welcome to you too.
    smiler07 wrote: »
    Thank you went to see her today the op went really well which really pleased about!! Hopefully home late weekend Just feeling a little down at the mo feels likes this year right from the start has been rubbish. But it can only get better :-)
    Glad the operation went well. Sorry you've not been having a good year, I hope the rest of it is much better.
    Hey all!

Long time no see I realise, just thought I'd pop in and say hello now I've finally got my internet sorted :)

*does a happy dance*

Nice to see the thread's on part 3, and a few new posters :-)

*belatedly welcomes new posters / Carter fans*

Also - enjoyed Carla & Peter's little proposal discussion - and I'm crossing my fingers for something very romantic / summer wedding :p
    <3<3<3<3

Hope to pop in more often / catch up properly soon. Hope everyone's doing okay with college / uni / work / life in general :-D
    Hellooooooooooooo :):D
    Good to see you back, have missed you on here.

Also, as the person who started part 1 of this thread you have a moral obligation to pop in at least ocassionally! :p

I was wondering where Simon was these days. That said, I don't miss him too much if all we're going to get is more of him being a brat to Carla :rolleyes: would be nice to see a new/different storyline for him - or even Amy, we haven't seen her for a while either.
    BIB - oh probably off plotting world domination or something, lol.
    I kind of miss him, but agree not if he's being horrible to Carla.
    Hey lovely people! :)

I hope you have all had a lovely weekend. I've not really stopped,..until now, that is. I've been running around sorting things out on the domestic front. So, I'm a bit knackered tbh. I thought I'd pop in and say hello. :-)
    Hello. Hope you have a more restful week than you did at the weekend, but glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know why I was a bit annoyed hearing Ken at Roy's Cafe, when he mentioned that he was staying at "Peter's flat". He didn't say, "Peter and Carla's", he said, "Peter's flat". I mean, I know it IS Peter's flat. But, to me, it would kind of been a way of Ken reinforcing to everyone that Carter are together somehow. Oh, I don't know,..it just irked me a little somehow. Ignore me. :-o

I noticed this and it annoyed me too. :mad:

Shame we've not had any scenes of Carla with Ken or Deirdre. :(
    Forum Member
    Hello. Hope you have a more restful week than you did at the weekend, but glad you enjoyed it.

Hey! :) Well, it has been a bit hectic all round. But, on the plus-side, I have monday and tuesday off from work, and I only have to go in on wed and thurs, and then it's Easter. So, yippee, a little bit of a break - a few more days to chill out, before the madness that is my work-life starts off again. :eek:
    I noticed this and it annoyed me too. :mad:
    Oh good,...thought it was just me being overly sensitive. :D
    Shame we've not had any scenes of Carla with Ken or Deirdre. :(
    I know! So disappointing really. I'm hoping when the Ty/Kirsty domestic abuse sl concludes shortly, TPTB will weave in a few more snippets of the Carter domestic situation, along with upcoming major sls.
    Forum Member
    Some excellent points btw! :)
    Gee thanks! :)
  • MissLcMissLc Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Just read that Peter and Rob 'lock horns at the factory' in a few weeks, could this be the start of something to do with their storyline? It seems a bit random in with the rest of the spoilers but atleast it means we will get them on screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    MissLc wrote: »
    Just read that Peter and Rob 'lock horns at the factory' in a few weeks, could this be the start of something to do with their storyline? It seems a bit random in with the rest of the spoilers but atleast it means we will get them on screen.

Where did you read this?
    Forum Member
    In this weeks Inside Soap.... Sounds interesting!
    Forum Member
    I wonder what this could mean? :)
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure, I can't think about what they would have to argue about?
    Forum Member
    Me either, confused
    Forum Member
    The only thing I can think of is this is something to do with Tracy too? It would make sense with Rob sort of going out with her and her being family to Peter?