Golf 2015

Comments

• davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Woods is taking an indefinite break from golf, saying his game is "unacceptable for tournament play".

Woods, 39, withdrew injured from last week's event at Torrey Pines after just 12 holes, having missed the cut at the Phoenix Open the week before.
    He said: "I need a lot of work on my game, and to spend time with people that are important to me.
    "I enter a tournament to compete at the highest level, and when I think I'm ready, I'll be back."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/31432730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    New thread for a new year

Horrifying ordeal for Robert Allenby in Hawaii.

I don’t care about the money or my cards or anything like that. I am just glad I have survived this one,’ says Australian player as he tells of being abducted from a bar and robbed
    The Australian golfer Robert Allenby has described his relief at surviving an ordeal in which he was abducted from a bar in Hawaii and “dumped in a park miles away”.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/18/golfer-robert-allenby-on-hawaii-attack-i-didnt-think-i-was-going-to-survive

Honolulu police say they are continuing to investigate what happened to pro golfer Robert Allenby after he said he was beaten, robbed and abducted in Hawaii last month.

Police said in a statement released Thursday that there is no indication that Allenby was kidnapped the night of Jan. 16. They are still investigating whether robbery was committed in connection to the incident and how Allenby received his injuries.

Despite several media reports, police said they "have found no credible evidence or witnesses to indicate that Allenby patronized an adult entertainment establishment" on the night in question.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/02/12/robert-allenby-kidnapped-no-evidence-pga-tour/23327781/
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking Davis Love III for US Ryder Cup captain again seems very strange, did the PGA veto Fred Couples?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Clarke has beaten Miguel Angel Jiminez to become Europe's Ryder Cup Captain.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame the Honda Classic wont be finished tonight as it's shaping up nicely

Poulter leading with Harrington in 2nd and last years runner up Russell Knox in contention again.

I'd like to see Padraig win again, been a while.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member

I'd like to see Padraig win again, been a while.

First time in 7 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/31695124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger has announced he is going to play at Augusta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/32178468

Be surprised if he makes the cut
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Fully expect a missed cut, then another im not fit taking a break statement yet again.

Are we using this thread for the masters or are we doing a seperate one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Fully expect a missed cut, then another im not fit taking a break statement yet again.

Are we using this thread for the masters or are we doing a seperate one

Probably easier just to use this thread as we don't seem to have many golf contributors
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a shame, I was looking forward to it. Now it will be all about him, even if he is 10 over par.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested in what Peter Alliss had to say in the press about how "equality" has caused a reduction in lady members of golf clubs.

Unfortunately, the great man is a bit detached from the situation in the majority of golf clubs for the masses, it might be different at the likes of, Wentworth, Sunningdale, etc.,

Generally, membership of traditional golf clubs has been in decline in recent years for both men and women.

Long gone are the 1990s when there were waiting lists at some clubs and it cost you a joining fee equivalent to a year's membership. Most clubs now have no joining fee and you can pay your subscription monthly by direct debit. Some are even offering discounts to attract new members.
    Bar takings in many clubs are in decline, unless the club is within walking distance, no members hang around long after playing a round. Can't afford to be stopped for drinking and driving.

With no joining fee and subscriptions paid monthly, there's no "loyalty," so people can move between clubs, with "no penalty."
    Each year more traditional clubs are closing and there's competition from the number of "pay and play" courses.

But the biggest problem, is the actual cost of golf. With the average membership costing around £1,000 a year, before you've even bought so much as a tee peg, young people of either sex with a family and a big mortgage, can no longer justify the expense.
    The running costs of golf clubs continues to increase and in many clubs the membership fees are out of balance.
    Decades ago the discount system where as you reached retirement age, your golf subscription in many clubs was dramatically reduced, as pensioners were considered less well off than those working. Now the situation is reversed and it's the pensioners who've got the money! Most don't need a discount, but try to get the abolition of discounts through "Council" and you've no chance.

The average age of my club continues to increase, as fewer young people of either sex are joining. It's the same situation in neighbouring clubs.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least he won't be getting all the attention of the TV cameras.

At Augusta, the club chooses which golfers the camera follows, not the TV sponsors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Yeh will end up being the Tiger Show even if he does pan as expected. Golf needs to move on and find another lover. Tiger would.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to what is always the best sporting week of the year for me - the Masters coupled with the Grand National.

Lot's of American players in top form this season and it looks like maybe only McIlroy and Stenson have a realistic shot at the title for the Europeans.

Still feel with the lack of danger off the tee it plays massively into the hands of the big hitters who aren't afraid to use that advantage off the tee and that means either of these 3 for me:
    Dustin Johnson
    Bubba Watson
    J B Holmes

the days of strategically playing round this course may be a thing of the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paul casey 66/1 , dustin Johnston 17/1, kevin stapler 250/1 for me.

If you do a 10pounds win only or place only bet with coral by tee off, you get another 10pounds in tournament bet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    jimmy walker for the masters , come on !!!
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a fiver on Dustin Johnson at 16/1. Had Jordan Spieth last year so hope I can go one better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just catching up on the par3 contest.

Kirsty Gallagher "interviewing" Martin Kaymer how does that work:D
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Paul casey 66/1 , dustin Johnston 17/1, kevin stapler 250/1 for me.

If you do a 10pounds win only or place only bet with coral by tee off, you get another 10pounds in tournament bet

I was contemplating googling Kevin Stapler as I have never heard of that particular "pro" but on 2nd thoughs I am guessing you mean the young walrus Kev Stadler ...:D

Will need to try and pick up a decent stream for tonight's action ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    I was contemplating googling Kevin Stapler as I have never heard of that particular "pro" but on 2nd thoughs I am guessing you mean the young walrus Kev Stadler ...:D

Will need to try and pick up a decent stream for tonight's action ...

Stadler ipads:p it was too late to change it:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good start for Ian Poulter -2 after 3 holes
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bookies are taking shitloads on Tiger from what I hear.

Back in the day he would have been a bookies nightmare, even when he went in odds on before tournaments they were still making huge losses, not so much now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing sky's coverage is mainly about Mcilroy and woods who would have guessed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Bookies are taking shitloads on Tiger from what I hear.

Back in the day he would have been a bookies nightmare, even when he went in odds on before tournaments they were still making huge losses, not so much now though.

Can't see woods making the cut