Well, Rory Williams...

MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
Forum Member
:( Don't get me wrong, I still like his character but there were times last nite when I found myself slightly disappointed in his tetchiness & lack of trust in the Doctor. Compared to Amy who seems to understand & trust the Doctor's instincts and next move (as any good companion has done in the past), Rory seemed at times rather more exasperated and pithy in his reaction to being with the Doctor. Questioning the Doctor over the Daleks, really? :rolleyes:

Perhaps that was always his role: to take a more jaundiced view of our hero for their own protection? And maybe it's the beginning of the premise for their departure from the Doctor's life? :confused:

...What do you think? :)

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy has often questioned the Doctor. The Doctor has often treated Rory as a companion and sometimes as an equal.
    :)
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think it was his whole point.

He is pretty much the only companion who doesn't really want to travel with The Doctor (the other possible one was Mickey ) and isn't really that impressed with him he only ever did it so he could be close to Amy in a lot of ways he would be happier if The Doctor just dropped them off and never return for them his only problem then would be the Amy would spend the rest of her life pining for his return

Come to think of it Rory and Mickey have a lot in common both just went along for the ride to stay with the person they loved when they would sooner have a normal quite life.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually really loved Rory in this episode, he was really good in it. Loved his scenes with the next companion, and while he was criticising him, Rory does seem genuinely friendly with the Doctor i.e. when the Doctor's coming up with his "plan." I think it's important to have a companion who gets on with the Doctor but is capable of criticising when he thinks he's wrong. It makes him quite different to other companions and love him for it. Amy+Rory are my favourite companions in a god while and, regardless of how good Jenna Louise Coleman seems to be (loved her in this episode, especially in her scenes with Rory+the Doc), I'll miss them when they go. 11 just wont be the same without them.

Also loved Rory's scenes with the regenerating Dalek, so funny. "E...E...E...Eggs...Eggs...Eggs...Eggs... Eggs-terrr...
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Amy has always been, and still is, the gung-ho adventurer, with complete faith in her imaginary friend. You can see where River gets it from. Just look at how excited she was to be back in action, being fired at a planet.

Rory's role has always been as a counterpoint to that - he's cautious and doubting and doesn't mind standing up to the Doctor when he thinks he's wrong. In some ways he's like Donna, being the person to tell the Doctor when to stop. And the Doctor has always respected that.
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :) You've made some truly valid points that have got me thinking. :cool:

The parallel with Mickey is apt, but the swash-buckling adventure does seem to come more naturally to Amy. It reminds me of something way back when Madame de Pompadour said to Rose: "you & I both know...That the Doctor is worth the monsters."

Rory does seem more reluctant to travel in the Tardis, but I like the fact that 'Amy's boys' get on rather than any rivalry or petty competition. The Doctor at times seemed willing to slight & ignore Mickey, who wasn't worth his attention too much. Or maybe that was a ploy to get him to step up?