Original Sugababes MKS surprise NYE gig

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
Wow, I was there to see the first ever live gig of MKS last night.
They blew it away.

Cannot wait to here their new music and album this year.

Here's their cover of Diamonds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oRvbiGezGY
Sublime -The voices seem stronger. The harmonies on this are tight. A quality act back on the scene.

Also
Overload
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzlpbAIWfh4
and

New Year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe3sQtScTE

It was great to see the crowd were so hyped for them. I hope the get support from Radio and the public in general when they finally release their music.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    I think they have hype on their side (for now) and still sound interesting and distinct enough individually when they sing together. I'm looking forward to their new material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Love It!!! They're so talented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was great to see them. Not too sure about them doing Freak Like Me and 2.0 songs. In some ways I would like MKS to distance themself from the Sugababes brand. The brand is damaged and they would be better moving on.

Seeing Siobhan do FLM made me miss Heidi. Siobhan then becomes Heidi's replacement rather than something new and fresh.

I don't want to see Heidi, Siobhan, Amelle or Jade do others vocals. I want something fresh.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So excited for their return. Their debut remains their best album for me.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was great to see them. Not too sure about them doing Freak Like Me and 2.0 songs. In some ways I would like MKS to distance themself from the Sugababes brand. The brand is damaged and they would be better moving on.

That's a reasonable thought but Freak Like Me and 2.0 songs have a great deal of Mutya and Keisha in them, so why not do them? I also expect that many of their fans will expect them to do those songs.

For me Stooshe and Little Mix are setting the standards for girl groups and MKS can compete with them quite easily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    That's a reasonable thought but Freak Like Me and 2.0 songs have a great deal of Mutya and Keisha in them, so why not do them? I also expect that many of their fans will expect them to do those songs.

For me Stooshe and Little Mix are setting the standards for girl groups and MKS can compete with them quite easily.

Because for me, Siobhan then becomes a replacement for Heidi, rather than the other way!

I wnat new MKS not original sugababes (with newer songs thrown in)
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because for me, Siobhan then becomes a replacement for Heidi, rather than the other way!

I wnat new MKS not original sugababes (with newer songs thrown in)

I'm sorry, but I think you are being ridiculous.

Using your logic, when Duran Duran reformed their seminal 1980-85 lineup in the 2000s, then they should not have performed the likes of Notorious, All She Wants Is, Ordinary World, Come Undone because Roger & Andy Taylor never played on those records. The Rolling Stones should not perform any of their pre-1975 material because guitarist Ronnie Wood was not a member until then; Paul McCartney should not play any of his Beatles material; Roger Daltrey & Pete Townsend should not perform as The Who on material recorded with deceased members John Entwistle & Keith Moon; etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keisha's voice sounds so strong in that Diamonds clip. I have to say my favourite lineup was Mutya, Keisha and Heidi and I wish it was those three who reformed because although I think Siobhan has a nice voice, I don't see much star quality. Mutya is amazing <3
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit sorry for Siobhan regarding this whole "replacing a replacement" thing.

Good performances, but I think they need new material, because they're not really doing anything fresh here.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Using your logic, when Duran Duran reformed their seminal 1980-85 lineup in the 2000s, then they should not have performed the likes of Notorious, All She Wants Is, Ordinary World, Come Undone because Roger & Andy Taylor never played on those records. The Rolling Stones should not perform any of their pre-1975 material because guitarist Ronnie Wood was not a member until then; Paul McCartney should not play any of his Beatles material; Roger Daltrey & Pete Townsend should not perform as The Who on material recorded with deceased members John Entwistle & Keith Moon; etc.

I get your point, but remember that MKS are not the current Sugababes (when Duran Duran reformed, they were still the only Duran Duran & known as their original name).

However, as new material from MKS is not currently familiar to Joe Public, I can understand why Sugababes back catalogue was used as material for last nights gig, although I think they should have stuck with material from the 'Overload' era...Siobhan performing 'Freak Like Me' seems a bit strange (although intriguing!). I might be wrong, but I'm sure I once read that a version of 'Freak Like Me' was recorded with Siobhan, just prior to her departure from the band - anyone know if this is correct, or did I just dream this?!?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keisha's harmonies are to die for.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be wrong, but I'm sure I once read that a version of 'Freak Like Me' was recorded with Siobhan, just prior to her departure from the band - anyone know if this is correct, or did I just dream this?!?

I'm now wondering if it was a version 'Round Round' not 'Freak Like Me' which SIobhan recorded before leaving v1.0? Anyway, I'm pleased to see the original girls back :)
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about the crowd who wouldn't STFU!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Keisha's voice sounds so strong in that Diamonds clip. I have to say my favourite lineup was Mutya, Keisha and Heidi and I wish it was those three who reformed because although I think Siobhan has a nice voice, I don't see much star quality. Mutya is amazing <3

Heidi has a generic sounding voice - glad Siobhan is back on the scene, Her and Mutya were always the creative force behind Sugababes and she has a more unique voice, once we hear new material, I'm sure it will work.
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did they perform at? Wasn't advertised a lot
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    There Diamonds Cover is so good there Harmonies are so strong on it I love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Diamond's cover, their harmonies were brilliant. I particularly loved Keisha's voice (always have preferred her over the others!). I'm excited for their new material later in the year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They look boring. I suppose they'll be critically acclaimed. *Yawns*

Heidi was the only decent one..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They must know that MKS is a superfluous band name and everyone will just call them the Original Sugababes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strict wrote: »

She wasn't decent on Dancing On Ice. :p
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    They must know that MKS is a superfluous band name and everyone will just call them the Original Sugababes.

Personally, I think they should name themselves (or at least an album) after the "Ship of Theseus".

It's basically the same concept as "Grandad's Axe"; if one "preserves" the ship of Theseus by replacing its planks (and other parts) individually over time as they wear out, then what happens if- eventually- all the original parts have been replaced? Is it still the "same" Ship of Theseus, even though it no longer has any original parts?

Obviously the "Ship of Theseus" represents the "Sugababes" here...:)

The reformation of the three original Sugababes makes this even more interesting, since the philosopher Thomas Hobbes asked what would happen if one took all the original, discarded planks from the ship (i.e. singers) and re-assembled them into a ship (band). Which one would be the original "Sugababes", er... I mean, the "Ship of Theseus"? :D
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strict wrote: »
    They look boring. I suppose they'll be critically acclaimed. *Yawns*

To be honest I agree with you. Sugababes worked in the early 00s because they were a mini All Saints - who were just about to split up, and every other girl band from that time were Spice Girl clones. Thats why Sugababes worked. However they really didn't take off as a band until after Heidi joined and the gap in the market had opened up. Little Mix aren't doing as well as hoped. The Saturdays I couldn't even tell you about while Girls Alouds latest single debuted at 98!!

Girl bands don't work even at the best of times.

I hoenstly have no idea where they will fit in today. The Sugababes fanbase started dying off in 2005. By the time of the god awful Get Sexy I think most people stopped caring.

The Sugababes are also in a situation were all their fans have grown up. This is why All Saints flopped on their return. Who exactly will their market be? they just aren't big enough in name. If Cheryl Cole can't get a Girls Aloud song a top 40 placing then MKS have no chance. Hype will only carry their first single. After that they are done. Plus MKS is an awful name to market anyway. They will always be Sugababes and thats all people will call them.

Sorry for being completely negative btw but I cannot see this being anything other than a huge flop! the first of many in 2013 I reckon as well! ;)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds about this.. On one hand I love them together, their voices blend so well together and Diamonds was great... Overload, although is the recorded version, it just didn't seem right with Keisha not singing the first verse (I'm strange but habit is habit, she performed it for nine years singing those lyrics so it's weird for me) and I'm against MKS performing Sugababes 2.0 onwards because as previously mentioned, Siobhan then becomes the replacement for the replacement.. But then again I'm for Sugababes singing Freak Like Me onwards, probably because they still have the name (I'm so confused by my own words right now) MKS should be MKS and leave the Sugababes brand (2.0 onwards) to the Sugababes if they ever return

They have the One Touch album which is great to perform but part of me wonders why they didn't sing any of the new material that was announced for 2012 release but is yet to be heard..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The difference is MKS aren't the Sugababes anymore tho. They are a new band. I think versions 1.1 and 4.0 performing songs with the line up that didn;t do them in like a vicious circle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in two minds about this.. On one hand I love them together, their voices blend so well together and Diamonds was great... Overload, although is the recorded version, it just didn't seem right with Keisha not singing the first verse (I'm strange but habit is habit, she performed it for nine years singing those lyrics so it's weird for me) and I'm against MKS performing Sugababes 2.0 onwards because as previously mentioned, Siobhan then becomes the replacement for the replacement.. But then again I'm for Sugababes singing Freak Like Me onwards, probably because they still have the name (I'm so confused by my own words right now) MKS should be MKS and leave the Sugababes brand (2.0 onwards) to the Sugababes if they ever return

They have the One Touch album which is great to perform but part of me wonders why they didn't sing any of the new material that was announced for 2012 release but is yet to be heard..

I think you summed up what I was trying to say.