What breed of dog?

KerrisKerris Posts: 71
Forum Member
Would like some advice on what breed of dog would be suitable for a young, busy family.
Would be a laid back sort of dog, good with children, which doesn't need too much exercise, and one that can cope with being left alone at times, though with the run of the garden.
Not my family, am enquiring for someone else.

Comments

• HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're that busy the dog is going to be left alone all day I suggest they get a cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerris wrote: »
    Would like some advice on what breed of dog would be suitable for a young, busy family.
    Would be a laid back sort of dog, good with children, which doesn't need too much exercise, and one that can cope with being left alone at times, though with the run of the garden.

Any dog's behaviour is greatly influenced by their environment so a busy family is rarely conducive to creating a "laid back" dog, both because the dog picks upon the "busy" atmosphere and so busily rushes about itself, and because busy familes do not necessarily have sufficient time to devote to finding out about, and applying, consistent and appropriate supervision, training and upbringing of the dog.
    Likewise how good a dog is with children will depend not just on the dog but also very much on how the children interact with and behave around the dog. Producing a dog that is "good with children" requires mutual respect, consideration and affection on both sides.
    Similarly whatever the dog's breed, the level of exercise required depends on some degree on the dog's age, with most being most energetic at the teenage/young adult phase ( although some breeds are very much higher energy than other breeds at a similar age).
    Energy levels aside, all dogs need mental stimulation and lots of social interaction to prevent boredom and associated problems.
    Whilest having the run of a garden when left may enable the dog to toilet and exercise, it is also very likely to entertain itself while left (and very possibly bored) by digging, chewing and/or barking and possibly escaping by digging or chewing its way out to explore a more interesting larger environment.
    Personally I would advise this family to reconsider whether they are currently in a suitable position to take on this responsibility as they seem to be expecting to find a dog who will always be very low maintainance and who will not disrupt their lives.
    Unfortunately real live dogs are not like that, particularly when put in the "busy" situation you describe, indeed many rescue dogs end up there due to the similarly unrealistic expectations of the people initially taking them on.
    In a calm family who have dog know-how and a lot of time to dedicate to bringing a dog up well, a laid back, calm dog who stays that way when left for short periods could well result, as the dog matures and settles, but in that case it wouldn't need to be left outside when it's owners were out anyway and it certainly wouldn't learn to be that way in the short term.
    Maybe they asked you to enquire for them as they anticipated some less than encouraging replies?
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    From the description given by the OP, I would recommend a soft toy.:( Even a cat would probably need more attention than they could provide, and getting a dog would IMO be very unfair on all concerned - especially the dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerris wrote: »

Perhaps a couple of elderly rescue greyhounds?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't bother at the moment personally.
    They havent got the time to exercise it much?? Dogs need a lot of exercise, a garden does not provide the mental, nor physical stimulation alone that a dog of any breed requires. Dogs love their walks!

If they havent the time to exercise it properly, have they the time to train it? If not how to they expect it to be magically perfectly fine around their children and 'laid back'? What happens if it has 'issues'? Will they just add it to the many dogs in rescue centres?

Dogs cannot be left every day all day either. If thats the case they need to consider, dog sitters and the cost of those etc.

Id get the kids a goldfish for now and do a lot more research and planning.
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    From the description given by the OP, I would recommend a soft toy.:( Even a cat would probably need more attention than they could provide, and getting a dog would IMO be very unfair on all concerned - especially the dog.

^^^ This.
  • KerrisKerris Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your answers. I do tend to agree with you, but as my advice was disregarded I thought I'd try to help with the best choice.
    I maybe have made it seem worse than it really would be...there would be someone home most of the time, there is a large field at the back of the house, so there would always be space for exercise, and the two children are very caring and sensible. Surely not a bad scenario? A loving home is a pretty good start...could be a lot worse.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    If they get a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, I'll come round and dog-sit for free! :D
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP hasn't even said how long the dog would be alone for - and there'll be plenty of dogs that don't need too much exercise.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    The question as phrased in the first post implies the family want a perfect friendly laid back dog but it makes no acknowledgement of the effort that has to go into achieving that. If the family don't have much time to exercise it, how will they have the time to train it? Even the OP said subsequently they 'tended to agree' the family might be best advised not to get a dog.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The being left alone with run of the garden as 'exercise' was the bit that bothered me, OP.