Labradoodle puppy coats

Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
Forum Member
✭✭
We have recently purchased a beautiful black Labradoodle and, after doing some research, we're still unsure how his coat is going to turn out. Some Labradoodles are quite sleek whilst others are quite curly / shaggy. We don't actually mind which one he is going to be (as we love him to bits) but wondered if anyone has any ideas.

He has a sleek head at the moment but quite fluffy legs and is quite tufty around his tummy and lower jaw.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It largely depends upon the parents. If it's an F1 (labrador mum and poodle dad) it will probably have a shorter, straighter coat. If it's an F1B (labradoodle mum, poodle dad) the coat will be curlier/fleecier.

You won't be able to tell for a few months yet but it will probably be long and wavy rather than short like a labrador.

Congratulations on getting your wonderful pet and I hope you have many happy years together :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with any cross breed//mongrel your guess is as good as ours!!

You could have the full poodle - no shedding but needs a lot of grooming to the full Lab - less grooming but sheds like crazy.

That's the fun of a mongrel:D

I know two Lab X Poodle litter mates (used to go puppy classes with them) that started out similar but ended up so different you couldn't believe they were related. Bith absolutely lovely it has to be said.

Word of warning - because of the genetic issues both breeds have - both shared and individually - DON'T let your insurance lapse, especially if neither parent have good hip scores, have clear, current CERFs or DNA tested for PRA.
  • Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to you both.

We knew it was a bit of gamble as to what he's turn out like. He's got a Lab mum and a Standard Poodle dad.

We made sure that we got him good pet insurance but thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

As I said - we really dont know how he's going to turn out - t the moment he looks like a fluffy scruffyLab - but absolutely gorgeous and I wouldnt change him for the world.