Unknown Paternity Storylines BEFORE DNA profiling

Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,444
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So how many storylines were there where someone's paternity was unconfirmed BEFORE we had DNA profiling?

I'm pretty sure that Pat in Eastenders had been sleeping with multiple men so didn't know who Simon's father was.

Another good example was baby Robert in Sons and Daughters. After he had been kidnapped, Beryl believed she had found him (and indeed she had) but Leigh made her brother put a fake birth mark on the baby to throw her off the trail. (This is more an example of there being no way of proving that Robert actually was her son, rather than working out the identity of the father.)

Comments

• OLD MitchOLD Mitch Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    It depends what year DNA profiling came about and when soaps acknowledged them.
    I'm shocked to know they didn't have DNA profiling in the late 80's?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    DNA profiling is a very recent thing - only mid 90s i think.

When i started watching soaps in the 80s there were countless. Whose the Daddy plots which would go on for months or even years as the only possible means of ID was blood tests and that only proved a man couldn't be the father, not that he was. So, if the 2 father's had different blood types then one could be discounted but if they were the same, there was no way of knowing. Mason and Mark were like that in Santa Barbara for Mary's baby.

Ones that spring to mind though we're John Ross Ewing III (Jr or Cliff)
    Fallon Carrington (Blakeor Cecil)
    Lauren Colby (Miles of Jeff)
    John and Angela In sons and Daughters (David or Martin)
    Mary in sons and daughters (was she Wayne's sister)

I'm sure there were a loot on UK soaps as well - Simon Wicks being a primary one.

Sarah Louise Platt in corrie (Brian or Ian)
    Forum Member
    Thanks KitKat you are like my soap teacher today.
    Forum Member
    OLD Mitch wrote: »
    Thanks KitKat you are like my soap teacher today.

You're welcome. Be at relatives and quite bored this afternoon and evening so keep Em coming!
    Forum Member
    Oh actually another one where they couldn't know for sure was Lesley Carrington in dynasty. She got involved with a man, Clay Fallmont and to be split them up, his father said that he wasn't really his father, her father Ben was due to an extra marital affair. Blood tests were done but couldn't prove conclusive paternity as Ben, Buck and Clay all had the same blood type. So Lesley and Clay had to split up and live with the knowledge they might have had sex with their sibling.

That was in 1987.
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the episode of Taggart called Flesh and Blood involved someone finding out from letters left by their "dead" adoptive parents that they were supposedly kidnapped from a very wealthy woman as a young child. It turned out to be completely false. DNA is specifically mentioned by Taggart as a way of confirming if the story is true. This episode was made in 1989 although it had a 1990 copyright.
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, Steven Beale's paternity was proven by a DNA test in 1989/1990 - I remember that they had a woman from the lab sitting at Pauline Fowler's table explaining DNA tests to them and that the results said there was only a 5% match between Steven and Ian and something like 99% match for Steven and Simon Wicks . As I recall Ian paid a lot of money for the test.

DNA testing was still very new at the time. The first scientific paper on DNA profiling was published in 1985 and the first conviction based on DNA evidence was Colin Pitchfork in 1988 (arrested late 1987).
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    You're welcome. Be at relatives and quite bored this afternoon and evening so keep Em coming!

Im sure I will become unstuck soon!
    Forum Member
    Nefersitra wrote: »
    Actually, Steven Beale's paternity was proven by a DNA test in 1989/1990 - I remember that they had a woman from the lab sitting at Pauline Fowler's table explaining DNA tests to them and that the results said there was only a 5% match between Steven and Ian and something like 99% match for Steven and Simon Wicks . As I recall Ian paid a lot of money for the test.

DNA testing was still very new at the time. The first scientific paper on DNA profiling was published in 1985 and the first conviction based on DNA evidence was Colin Pitchfork in 1988 (arrested late 1987).

Thanks for that and good Boys as well. I was pretty much guessing at mid 90s as i knew it wasn't around in the 80s - at least in soaps.

I imagine there probably were a few years where the police had access to it for crimes (although i bet it was expensive) but standard GPs, let along the General public didn't for something like ascertaining paternity.

I think 'home kits' have only come into play in the last 15 years or so (rough guess).
    Forum Member
    I do think a lot of the time in Soap they ignored even the resources they did have at their disposal because it made the storyline more interesting.

For example, Adam Carrington in Dynasty where they had this huge issue as to whether he was or wasn't Adam. Early on they did say that the medical records they'd had for the baby (Adam was kidnapped when he was 2) had been destroyed in a fire at the Hospital so they couldn't check against that but they never even mentioned doing a blood test to see if he was the same group as his Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister.

Of course it wouldn't have proved he was Adam but it might have proved if he wasn't. But they never even suggested it in 7 years!
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did Simon Wicks EVER find out who his biological father was?
    Forum Member
    Good_boys wrote: »
    So did Simon Wicks EVER find out who his biological father was?

Brian Wicks.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,715
    Forum Member
    The oldest one I can think of is Martha on Home and Away in 1988. Roo tricked Frank up the aisle by making him believe he was the father but she got guilty at the last minute and ditched him. I miss that devious side to Roo!
    Forum Member
    OLD Mitch wrote: »
    Brian Wicks.

Pat thought. IIRC she couldn't say for certain but that was sho she was fairly sure it was. As a blood test or dna was never done, there's still a slight question mark over it.
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Pat thought. IIRC she couldn't say for certain but that was sho she was fairly sure it was. As a blood test or dna was never done, there's still a slight question mark over it.

What a shame it wasn't resolved.