Options

Funny books

PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend any novels that made you laugh, the sort that if you were reading it on a train you'd have to stifle your laughs. I've been reading some quite serious books lately and fancy something funny.

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    edited 01/03/17 - 22:14 #2
    You mean more recent novels and not funny classics like the Hitchhiker's Guide? You could try Rachel Johnson's (yes Boris' sister) witty Notting Hell series. Reading the first and it does induce the odd snigger. :D Keen observer of the rich and powerful!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Notting-Hell-Rachel-Johnson/0141020830/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5KYG07SHX3XCAB3BATXQ
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I've just started re-reading my Adrain Mole books, partly because Sue Townsend died a while back and I felt I should read them again, and partly because I wanted to read something funny- they don't disappoint :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    You mean more recent novels and not funny classics like the Hitchhiker's Guide? You could try Rachel Johnson's (yes Boris' sister) witty Notting Hell series. Reading the first and it does induce the odd snigger. :D Keen observer of the rich and powerful!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Notting-Hell-Rachel-Johnson/0141020830/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5KYG07SHX3XCAB3BATXQ

No, they don't need to be recent. I remember years ago when I used to commute by train I'd be reading funny books trying hard to stifle my laughing (The Moon's a Balloon and the Reggie Perrin books were a couple of them). Of course I realise humour can date and I probably wouldn't find them funny now. I'll check out those Rachel Johnson books:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I've just started re-reading my Adrain Mole books, partly because Sue Townsend died a while back and I felt I should read them again, and partly because I wanted to read something funny- they don't disappoint :D

I've never read them but I did see a program on her recently.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American author Carl Hiaasen may be worth a read, books are usually set in Florida, with oddball characters, very satirical & with an ecological message at times. :-)

eta - I,Partridge by Alan Partridge is a hoot considering it's a spoof autobiography.
    The Timewaster Letters by Robin ..? Can't recall the Author's surname unfortunately, fairly funny quick read though.:-D
    Good luck 👍
  • Options
    Chapter24Chapter24 Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I have to 'read' audio books on a train, - I can't read while I go along, it makes me travel sick >:(

But one audio book I'm glad I didn't take on a train with me was Delete This At Your Peril by Neil Forsyth. I was literally crying with laughter at one point (the bit where he accidentally assaulted the postie..)

If you just want something a bit light-hearted, maybe some diaries? I quite liked Michael Palin's diaries, Stephen Fry's are probably good but I haven't got round to reading them yet.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's a marmite character, but if you like Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge character then I highly recommend Nomad.

Just finished it now and literally laughed out loud all the way through. Very funny book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I know he's a marmite character, but if you like Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge character then I highly recommend Nomad.

Just finished it now and literally laughed out loud all the way through. Very funny book.

I love Alan Partridge so I'll definitely check that out:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chapter24 wrote: »
    I have to 'read' audio books on a train, - I can't read while I go along, it makes me travel sick >:(

But one audio book I'm glad I didn't take on a train with me was Delete This At Your Peril by Neil Forsyth. I was literally crying with laughter at one point (the bit where he accidentally assaulted the postie..)

If you just want something a bit light-hearted, maybe some diaries? I quite liked Michael Palin's diaries, Stephen Fry's are probably good but I haven't got round to reading them yet.

I'll look that up, crying with laughter is exactly what I'm looking for having read too many serious books lately:) I listen to audio books too so will look to download.
  • Options
    msreluctantmsreluctant Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virtually anything by Terry Pratchett.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wodehouse, particularly the Jeeves and Wooster stories. The short stories are collected in 'The World of Jeeves', and then there are the novels.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »
    American author Carl Hiaasen may be worth a read, books are usually set in Florida, with oddball characters, very satirical & with an ecological message at times. :-)

eta - I,Partridge by Alan Partridge is a hoot considering it's a spoof autobiography.
    The Timewaster Letters by Robin ..? Can't recall the Author's surname unfortunately, fairly funny quick read though.:-D
    Good luck 👍

Hiassen is funny, Lucky You would be a good one to start with, dont let the fact the awful movie Striptease with Demi Moore was based on one of his books, the book is in a different class from the movie

a scottish author i like that has been compared to Hiassen is Christopher Brookmyre, his first novel Quite Ugly One Morning is hilarious, and was a book where as mentioned in the OP i did laugh out loud reading whilst on a train.
  • Options
    AnniedAnnied Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can recommend "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. When I was reading it on a train in Germany I started to attract the attention of the other passengers because I couldn't stop giggling.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like fantasy, then the Belgariad/Mallorean and Elenium/Tamuli by David Eddings usually make me giggle, especially if I haven't read them in a while.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first book that made me laugh out loud was Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse.
    It will be a bit of a period piece now, but that's not to say dated.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    More of an amusing book but I enjoyed The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night time.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Just remembered, anything by Mark Wallington is usually funny- one that sticks in my mind is Boogie up the River.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the 'Blanding Castle' series by PG Wodehouse, Camberwell Beauty by Jenny Eclair, most of Bill Brysons stuff. I'd also recommend the Adrian Mole books.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blandings Castle i would have in front of Jeeves and Wooster!!

A few obscure ones that have made me smile, and a few that have made me laugh, and a few that can be read by female readers.

RS Surtees - Mr Sponges Sporting Tour
    JB Priestley - The Good Companions
    Gunter Gras - The Flounder (my favourite book, not for everyone)
    Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals
    Giovanni Guareschi's -The Little World of Don Camillo.
    Tom Sharpe - Wilt
    Charles Buckowski - Post Office (males only)
    Anthony Trollope - Barchester Chronicles
  • Options
    Chapter24Chapter24 Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    I'll look that up, crying with laughter is exactly what I'm looking for having read too many serious books lately:) I listen to audio books too so will look to download.

It's basically about spam-baiting. He's taken those dodgy emails you get from Nigeria or Russia or wherever, and replied to them, pretending to be interested. He manages to string them along on various wind-ups and practical jokes till they finally lose patience and give up.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging" by Louise Rennison is the one to begin with. She's written loads more following this. Supposed to be for young adults, but I'm 72 and reading the reviews it appears most readers are middle aged. Funniest teen angst with nobs on!
  • Options
    AnniedAnnied Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chapter24 wrote: »
    It's basically about spam-baiting. He's taken those dodgy emails you get from Nigeria or Russia or wherever, and replied to them, pretending to be interested. He manages to string them along on various wind-ups and practical jokes till they finally lose patience and give up.

That sounds good. Years ago I came across a website along exactly the same lines. I lost a good few hours because it was such compulsive reading.

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Bill Bryson's travelogues are very funny. I would also say anything by Tom Sharpe - rude and hilarious.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I think Bill Bryson's travelogues are very funny. I would also say anything by Tom Sharpe - rude and hilarious.
    mazzy50 wrote: »

I remember reading Bryson as a teenager and giggling out loud.

Another book that made me laugh was "Without Feathers" by Woody Allen-I'd borrowed it from my Dad, and it was hilarious. You can read it in the Picador book
    " Complete Prose" by Woody Allen.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Amateurs by John Niven is by far the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed out loud alot. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it. It does have a lot of swearing in it (Partially due to the nature of the plot). His other books are all funny too. (apart from his first Cold Hands)