Companions Saving The Doctor

2»

Comments

• ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I count 5 out of 10 times, which ones were you thinking of :p

Sorry, I miscounted, it was 7 out of 10 :p

In the prequel the Doctor already said she gave her life to save him in Asylum and Snowmen.

In Rings of Akhaten she had the idea of using the leaf which defeated the star-thing (thus, presumably, saving their lives).

In Cold War, it's debatable, but I believe it was her reference to the Ice Warrior's daughter which finally got through to him and got him to avert world war III (which, if we believe the Doctor, he would have tried to stop by blowing up the submarine)

In Hide, she managed to motivate the TARDIS to rescue him.

In Crimson Horror she was the one who spotted that the lack of chimney smoke indicated the location of the rocket. If she hadn't done so they wouldn't have got there in time to stop the launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I voted Martha because she did all the leg work. Literally.

Amy looked at an empty diary and remembered the Doctor, so I'll give Eleven that one. He was the one with the plan there - I'm glad to say. Amy's ability was something she had no control over.

I stopped watching early in Series two, so can't judge Rose (well I have, but not on her Doctor saving technique). Still, I'm sure she ugly cried while she did it.

The development of Donna's character was good in series 4, but she might as well have been tapped with a magic wand. Her ability had nothing to do with an ordinary girl done good (which she was) but a (totally unfeasible) change to her dna which was a complete co-incidence. I won't say deus ex-machina, because that hand was bubbling away forever in the corner. However I'd have preferred she did something smaller, if it was entirely her own work. Getting the Doctor to save that family in Pompeii was more of an achievement really. Yes, it was naive to think she could save everyone at the beginning, but she learned that lesson, while still caring. That's why I prefer Martha - she had no 'scientific' boost (rather magic help). She did it all on her own as I remember. Just as she watched the Doctor at his least bearable - (Series 2-4, though I know she was only in 4) especially in Family of Blood.

What with the GI destroying the Doctor, then Clara saving him, it really makes the Doctor look foolish. I'd rather not have the entire programme the work of a companion's efforts. Especially one I couldn't care less about. I can't even hate her, she's too bland. Sigh.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrimps wrote: »
    I stopped watching early in Series two, so can't judge Rose (well I have, but not on her Doctor saving technique). Still, I'm sure she ugly cried while she did it.

Nope, not at all.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Sorry, I miscounted, it was 7 out of 10 :p

In the prequel the Doctor already said she gave her life to save him in Asylum and Snowmen.

In Rings of Akhaten she had the idea of using the leaf which defeated the star-thing (thus, presumably, saving their lives).

In Cold War, it's debatable, but I believe it was her reference to the Ice Warrior's daughter which finally got through to him and got him to avert world war III (which, if we believe the Doctor, he would have tried to stop by blowing up the submarine)

In Hide, she managed to motivate the TARDIS to rescue him.

In Crimson Horror she was the one who spotted that the lack of chimney smoke indicated the location of the rocket. If she hadn't done so they wouldn't have got there in time to stop the launch.

I agree with most of these but whilst I agree she made an impact in Cold War, I wouldn't go that far and I think the Doctor would've worked it out himself in Crimson, but yeah she certainly saves him a lot, although he saves her quite a bit too :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I agree with most of these but whilst I agree she made an impact in Cold War, I wouldn't go that far and I think the Doctor would've worked it out himself in Crimson, but yeah she certainly saves him a lot, although he saves her quite a bit too :D

The thing with Crimson is they arrived seconds before the rocket was going to be launched so, even if the Doctor would have worked it out eventually, it would have been too late. Having said that, he probably would have just waved the sonic around and detonated the rocket in midair or something instead :D
  • MediaMattersMediaMatters Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    :eek: Possibly between Clara & Dr. Martha Jones!
    I liked Amy's 'cos it seemed like so much of the Ponds' theme was read like a storybook, but the symbiosis of Clara & the Doctor saving one another & Martha devoting herself to saving #10 in perhaps his darkest season with no hope of thanks, praise or much affection.

Ladies & gentlemen, we have a (bow)tie! :D
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred Donna's story arc and her becoming part Timelord but thought the actual act was the worst execution.

Why on earth RTD thought that ruining the good story he had going by making her have a little comedy moment and flip a few switches to save the day I have no idea.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    But they needed switches cause daleks have got... oh yeah no hands to use them.
    I prefered Big Bang cause as much as Amy may have saved the doctor, the doctor saved her and the universe instead of standing around like a spare one doing nothing