What exactly did they say?

Did you not read his post?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Did you not read his post?

Oh - let me know which post and I'll have a look. :)
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Oh - let me know which post and I'll have a look. :)

The post you quoted?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69625311&postcount=16

Or are you looking for hard evidence or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah! So you happened to know that finbaar knows people who happened to use the exact words that stiggles mentioned anecdotally in a discussion forum.

What were the odds?

And there was me thinking that there was a chance whatever it was that people may have said, may have been taken a little too literally, or even said by different people altogether, but for the sake of the argument might have kind of morphed into a single collective Apple user.

Here's what I think.

Some people may have said that the 3.5" screen was fine because they didn't want a big screen, because they'd find a big screen too big to be comfortable.

And maybe said the 4" screen was better than the 3.5" screen, because it was a bit bigger, but still comfortable in one hand.

Which isn't quite the same saying that 3.5" was "perfect". And then saying that 4" was "perfect".
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It's not apple bashing. He has a very good point. 3.5" was the perfect size. Now its 4"! Mac users don't see a need for card readers in their macbooks. Now they wouldn't be without it.

Are you speaking on the collective behalf of all iPhone and Mac users?
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well had a day today using the SP and some observations....

I like the way apps install.

The tethering app seems a little unstable (some tethering "error" messages), although it managed to download a few Gb without stopping so not sure what kind of errors they were...either way it carried on / restarted itself, good news for my customer.

Text editing not as good as iPhone. And some copy functions seem missing..like for example holding down on a tweet allows me to copy on iPhone, on Android seems missing...or I'm not doing it right!

I like being able to auto-organise apps in order of most used, useful and makes sense.

Gmail, calendar and the Google Maps Navigation (beta?) looks and works so much nicer on Android...despite the lesser screen of SP.

The SP will be going again soon, then choice of one of the following....

Nexus 5, Lumia 1020, Sony Z1 or maybe an HTC One. Unlikely to be a 1020 as I'm not sure on the Tether capabilities....

(Have not mentioned S4 as did not like the feel of the build)

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    I used a iPhone today after a very long time and while it is very slick it does indeed seem dated and hasn't really moved on in the last couple of years since I had a 4S. My daily driver is now a S4 and even though the 5S has a bigger screen then the 4S it seem in adequately small (but then again I also digg the size of a Note 3.

Having said that booth iOS and WP8 were very stable platforms while the S4 has a few stability issues especially with the music apps and SD card support.

I'm inclined to agree on all points, although actually committing and buying an android phone for my own use is where I struggle.

Part of the appeal of iOS for me is the fact it's so simple and basic. Android still seems awkward when it comes to text manipulations, copy/paste etc; some basic functions seem not to exist or are a fiddle to achieve. Plus I'm jailbroken, so iOS probably seems better to me than most.....
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Ah! So you happened to know that finbaar knows people who happened to use the exact words that stiggles mentioned anecdotally in a discussion forum.

What were the odds?

And there was me thinking that there was a chance whatever it was that people may have said, may have been taken a little too literally, or even said by different people altogether, but for the sake of the argument might have kind of morphed into a single collective Apple user.

Here's what I think.

Some people may have said that the 3.5" screen was fine because they didn't want a big screen, because they'd find a big screen too big to be comfortable.

And maybe said the 4" screen was better than the 3.5" screen, because it was a bit bigger, but still comfortable in one hand.

Which isn't quite the same saying that 3.5" was "perfect". And then saying that 4" was "perfect".

Overcomplicating things as always and getting them completely wrong as alway!! No surprise there then really!! :D

Steve Jobs said that a 3.5-inch screen is a "perfect size for consumers" and that larger screens are foolish. Apple users agreed with this and stuck to it harping on about bigger screens being crap.

Tim Cook then said last year with the release of the iphone 5's 4" screen - "We've put a lot of thinking into screen size and we think we've picked the right one". Again apple users agree and every other phone user disagrees.

Now, before you pick this bit apart, i am completely aware Tim Cook never said perfect. However, the people i know and people on here have said that.

This very forum has had countless discussions on this very subject and its always ended up in a 50 page war with the apple users agreeing with jobs and cook and every other phone user disagreeing.

Macbook users years ago on various forums i used to use for instance thought it was easier to get the camera, find the cable, untangle it if it had done so, plug it in to said camera then plug it into the macbook as opposed to opening the camera and taking the card out and popping it in.

Then up comes a macbook with a card reader. The people who argued against it now saw a need for it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thebtman wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree on all points, although actually committing and buying an android phone for my own use is where I struggle.

Part of the appeal of iOS for me is the fact it's so simple and basic. Android still seems awkward when it comes to text manipulations, copy/paste etc; some basic functions seem not to exist or are a fiddle to achieve. Plus I'm jailbroken, so iOS probably seems better to me than most.....

I use a Nexus 5, Nexus 4 prior to that, and i find nothing missing from when i had my iphone 4S. The new google keyboard which comes with the Nexus and can be downloaded from the market is streets ahead of the iphone keyboard. Never found an issue with copy and paste anywhere on my phones.

What functions are not there or a fiddle to get do you find?

I've never struggled with Android to be honest, but its probably because i've used it since day one really. I did try iOS when i had an iphone and i found that a hassle to start with. Once i got used to it, it was fine but i prefered Android so went back.

For me, until iOS opens up a bit and lets the user decide how the phone looks then i won't be back to apple anytime soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Are you speaking on the collective behalf of all iPhone and Mac users?

Obviously not :confused:
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Apple will need to do lots of work on bezel reduction etc if their rumoured bigger screen phone isn't to turn out way too big to be practical, to be honest. When you compare the specs of Google and Apple's respective flagship models it's unbelievable that the Apple is not cheaper than the N5 let alone £250 more expensive.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5705&idPhone2=5685
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I'm being dim, but what are iSheeple? :confused:

Quote from the Urban Dictionary:-

1. iSheeple
    Pathetically slavish devotees of Apple Computers who blindly embrace any product hawked by their turtle-necked tech messiah Steve Jobs.

The iSheeple are, as a general rule, more interested in Apple products as fashion accessories and will buy several permutations of the same item in order to stay "current", even when that device has obvious design flaws and is liable to break under even normal usage conditions (see: iPhone 4) or cause the user actual physical harm (see: overheating Macbooks). Rather than picking the best tool for the job, iSheeple choose the Apple alternative every time, paying over the odds for a product that is not as useful as it should be (see: iPad).

Ignoring well-reasoned arguments from less biased computer enthusiasts everywhere, they will never truly be convinced that Apple products are overrated. For iSheeple the mind-numbing simplicity of the various Apple operating systems is actually comforting: a real power operating system would only leave them huddled over in a corner shaking uncontrollably and sobbing that iTunes can't run their lives and tell them what to buy next anymore.

More extreme iSheeple will decorate non-Apple products with the now ubiquitous fruit silhouette logo, even going so far as to have the icon tattooed onto their skin in an overwhelming display of blind conformity.

Such is their unswerving quasi-religious devotion they are classed as acceptable targets and should be mocked whenever possible.

To be fair there is also probably a name for devote Android users as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a Nexus 5, Nexus 4 prior to that, and i find nothing missing from when i had my iphone 4S. The new google keyboard which comes with the Nexus and can be downloaded from the market is streets ahead of the iphone keyboard. Never found an issue with copy and paste anywhere on my phones.

What functions are not there or a fiddle to get do you find?

I've never struggled with Android to be honest, but its probably because i've used it since day one really. I did try iOS when i had an iphone and i found that a hassle to start with. Once i got used to it, it was fine but i prefered Android so went back.

For me, until iOS opens up a bit and lets the user decide how the phone looks then i won't be back to apple anytime soon.

Hi,

Well the copy paste ones for a start. How do I copy a tweet?

How do I copy/paste at all?

I agree re the closed nature of iOS - it's why when I can't jailbreak I will probably jump ship completely.

Ubuntu desktop when it fully emerges might convince me too.....
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    thebtman wrote: »
    Hi,

Well the copy paste ones for a start. How do I copy a tweet?

How do I copy/paste at all?

I agree re the closed nature of iOS - it's why when I can't jailbreak I will probably jump ship completely.

Ubuntu desktop when it fully emerges might convince me too.....

surely copying and pasting a tweet is an 'app' issue rather than an operating system one. In most apps the copy function can be accessed by a long press. Im no great twitter user but it seems that the app developers for the official app have chosen not to include this.

If I remember correctly copy/paste is quite a new addition to iOS whereas it has been in Android for many iterations.

I now have a spare GNex which I am getting very tempted to use as an Ubuntu phone - however I keep reading that it STILL isnt really much more than a plaything :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    surely copying and pasting a tweet is an 'app' issue rather than an operating system one. In most apps the copy function can be accessed by a long press. Im no great twitter user but it seems that the app developers for the official app have chosen not to include this.

If I remember correctly copy/paste is quite a new addition to iOS whereas it has been in Android for many iterations.

I now have a spare GNex which I am getting very tempted to use as an Ubuntu phone - however I keep reading that it STILL isnt really much more than a plaything :(

I understand all that, and I know about long press, but it doesn't work in Android.

I just find the copy/paste method better in iOS...

Yes have heard that....one device for everything sounds good. At the moment my entire Library (My Documents, Music etc etc) is in the cloud, so lack of hard drive wouldn't bother me too much, but lack of I/o capability and windows compatibility would be a problem

If you have a spare Nex might be worth giving it a go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overcomplicating things as always and getting them completely wrong as alway!! No surprise there then really!! :D

Steve Jobs said that a 3.5-inch screen is a "perfect size for consumers" and that larger screens are foolish. Apple users agreed with this and stuck to it harping on about bigger screens being crap.

Tim Cook then said last year with the release of the iphone 5's 4" screen - "We've put a lot of thinking into screen size and we think we've picked the right one". Again apple users agree and every other phone user disagrees.

Now, before you pick this bit apart, i am completely aware Tim Cook never said perfect. However, the people i know and people on here have said that.

This very forum has had countless discussions on this very subject and its always ended up in a 50 page war with the apple users agreeing with jobs and cook and every other phone user disagreeing.

Macbook users years ago on various forums i used to use for instance thought it was easier to get the camera, find the cable, untangle it if it had done so, plug it in to said camera then plug it into the macbook as opposed to opening the camera and taking the card out and popping it in.

Then up comes a macbook with a card reader. The people who argued against it now saw a need for it!!

My point wasn't complicated.

It was simply that there is a world of difference between people preferring a screen size that they find more comfortable with one hand, to screen sizes they think are too big for that.

You are insinuating that people are contradicting themselves. But as long as people find the screen size (be it 3.5" or 4") to be comfortable for one handed use, then there is no contradiction.

I also think you have a habit of misinterpreting people. For example, if people post that a feature isn't a deal breaker for them, that's not the same as them saying that feature has no use. They would be strawmen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Quote from the Urban Dictionary:-

1. iSheeple
    Pathetically slavish devotees of Apple Computers who blindly embrace any product hawked by their turtle-necked tech messiah Steve Jobs.

The iSheeple are, as a general rule, more interested in Apple products as fashion accessories and will buy several permutations of the same item in order to stay "current", even when that device has obvious design flaws and is liable to break under even normal usage conditions (see: iPhone 4) or cause the user actual physical harm (see: overheating Macbooks). Rather than picking the best tool for the job, iSheeple choose the Apple alternative every time, paying over the odds for a product that is not as useful as it should be (see: iPad).

Ignoring well-reasoned arguments from less biased computer enthusiasts everywhere, they will never truly be convinced that Apple products are overrated. For iSheeple the mind-numbing simplicity of the various Apple operating systems is actually comforting: a real power operating system would only leave them huddled over in a corner shaking uncontrollably and sobbing that iTunes can't run their lives and tell them what to buy next anymore.

More extreme iSheeple will decorate non-Apple products with the now ubiquitous fruit silhouette logo, even going so far as to have the icon tattooed onto their skin in an overwhelming display of blind conformity.

Such is their unswerving quasi-religious devotion they are classed as acceptable targets and should be mocked whenever possible.

To be fair there is also probably a name for devote Android users as well.

Thanks - in the context it was used it almost seemed as though the definition was more like:

"Anyone who owns an iPhone"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks - in the context it was used it almost seemed as though the definition was more like:

"Anyone who owns an iPhone"

In the context of the people I know that own an Iphone, it is. They have one purely because of the name and as a fashion accessory, no other reason.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know two iPhone users who went defended the screen size of the 4S to the hilt. Remember what a disappointment the 4S was? And how many iPhone users were hoping for a bigger screen? These two guys just loved the iPhone and could see no fault in it. Then when the 5 came out they both went to the local Apple partner shop, taking a day off work, to buy it off contract. Oh and how wonderful it was to have an extra row of apps. Life couldn’t get any better.

I don’t give a shit about macs or PCs. They are so 20th century.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they don't buy them because, I dunno, they think its a good phone?

When does a phone become a fashion accessory rather than just, I dunno, a phone?

I would have though that something as useful and functional as a smartphone was more than just a fashion accessory.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How, in 2013 do Apple get away with selling a "top end" phone with a low resolution 4" screen? Why would anyone settle for third best? They could esily fit a bigger high resolution screen in the same body as I fully understand why people want a smaller phone. Mind you why does every smaller screened Android phone have to be crap. I'm looking at you Samsung. Even the Moto X has only a 720p screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they don't buy them because, I dunno, they think its a good phone?

When does a phone become a fashion accessory rather than just, I dunno, a phone?

I would have though that something as useful and functional as a smartphone was more than just a fashion accessory.

Not really with the Iphone, plenty of phones on the market, that do everything that you have mentioned, and possibly better.

So why pay that much, when there are for more cheaper options available? Purely for a name/fashion.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not for name or fashion. Its about the useability and ecosystem. There was previously an advantage for iOS regarding its ecosystem and once your embedded in an ecosystem its easier to stay put.

The iPhone has been a great product over the years, while any advantage it may have once had has long gone, its doesn't mean its going to shed its customers overnight. Especially if they also have an iPad in the ecosystem.
  • Options
    zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    How, in 2013 do Apple get away with selling a "top end" phone with a low resolution 4" screen? Why would anyone settle for third best? They could esily fit a bigger high resolution screen in the same body as I fully understand why people want a smaller phone. Mind you why does every smaller screened Android phone have to be crap. I'm looking at you Samsung. Even the Moto X has only a 720p screen.

What is the point of driving pixels that can only be seen under a microscope?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not really with the Iphone, plenty of phones on the market, that do everything that you have mentioned, and possibly better.

So why pay that much, when there are for more cheaper options available? Purely for a name/fashion.

So if the question is "why do people buy iPhones?" the only answer you can think of is "purely for a name / fashion"?

Seriously?

What about they prefer the design?

What about they prefer the build quality?

What about they prefer iOS?

What about they have a Mac, and like the way everything syncs without any fuss?