Headphones Recommendations?

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
Forum Member
✭✭
I listen to all of my music with in ear iphone headphones, the old style ones. But I believe I may be missing out on some of the higher quality music out there and so I'm looking for recommendations for headphones.

I used to own a pair of Sony noise cancellation ones but they were so tight on my head it actually was a relief to take them off.

Is it really worth spending money on expensive headphones? I don't want the Dr Dre ones for example.

Thanks!

Comments

• mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Sennheiser. They're inexpensive, sound great, and are fairly durable.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Seconded, Sennheiser are a great brand for head/ear phones
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I like big overear ones and were happy with my Panasonic ones I bought years ago. When they broke (my kicking them whilst drunk) I wanted similar but Panasonic didn't do the same ones and the ones I viewed seemed cheaper and flimsier.

I settled on JVC XX from Tesco for about £20.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for sennheiser
  • J B OddsocksJ B Oddsocks Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan of Bowers & Wilkins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    If you want in-ear headphones then you need to buy these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H6595ZM/A/atomic-floyd-superdarts-remote

Atomic Floyd SuperDarts.

The best in-ear headphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I had beats and they lasted about 6 months - the replacement pairs lasted even less. Plus the sound of these are the best I've ever heard. Just read the reviews!

Also, the materials they are made from means they are pretty much never gonna break. I've dropped mine, stood on them and they've been subject to the usual wear and tear. A year and a half on - they're still perfect.

Seriously check them out. I would never ever go back to anything else now.
    :)
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I've got Sennheiser HD 205 at the moment. I really like them, although I can't wear them for long periods of time (not sure if that's due to me or the headphones lol). They sound good though, considering the price I got them.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Aneres11 wrote: »
    A year and a half on - they're still perfect.

That's not very long... I have a pair of Technics closed-ear cans which are 20 years old now. Still sound great, although the pads need replacing... they're like a beat-up leather shoe now.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I always used to go for Sennheiser but now tend to go for Klipsch
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

Actually when said I go for Klipsch I was talking about in ear jobs for wandering around in.

For 'phones for serious listening at home I'd agree with you and go for Grado. I've got a pair of SR80's and they are mind blowing. Not very comfy though!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually when said I go for Klipsch I was talking about in ear jobs for wandering around in.

For 'phones for serious listening at home I'd agree with you and go for Grado. I've got a pair of SR80's and they are mind blowing. Not very comfy though!

Ah, that's good to know. I don't actually own any Grados, I just covet my brother's. I could use a good pair of ear buds for running with though.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I've got Sennheiser HD 205 at the moment. I really like them, although I can't wear them for long periods of time (not sure if that's due to me or the headphones lol). They sound good though, considering the price I got them.

Yeah this is what I don't want.. I hate headphones that don't feel good to wear. Just annoys me too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Think I might pop down to HMV and try some on and then do some price checking online.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneres11 wrote: »
    If you want in-ear headphones then you need to buy these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H6595ZM/A/atomic-floyd-superdarts-remote

Atomic Floyd SuperDarts.

The best in-ear headphones I've ever had the pleasure of owning. I had beats and they lasted about 6 months - the replacement pairs lasted even less. Plus the sound of these are the best I've ever heard. Just read the reviews!

Also, the materials they are made from means they are pretty much never gonna break. I've dropped mine, stood on them and they've been subject to the usual wear and tear. A year and a half on - they're still perfect.

Seriously check them out. I would never ever go back to anything else now.
    :)

And if you look at non-Apple reviews then you will see that they are not so good(build quality looks fantastic though)
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/superdarts

But if bass is your thing then go for it :)

Personally I use Shure in ear phones as I find they give the best tonal balance, as I am not a bass beast :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    soran wrote: »
    And if you look at non-Apple reviews then you will see that they are not so good(build quality looks fantastic though)
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/superdarts

But if bass is your thing then go for it :)

Personally I use Shure in ear phones as I find they give the best tonal balance, as I am not a bass beast :D

That's the only non-Apple review that rates them that low.

But good job finding the 2 star one and posting it. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    As an audiophile, I'm happy that you're planning to upgrade your headphones. Once you go high-end, you won't look back. Listening to music with proper equipment is so much better than using regular equipment. I remember the first time I started using proper headphones, a whole new world opened up to me. I realized that my favourite music contained so many layers that I had never heard in my life! I had essentially wasted hours of my life listening to music, without actually knowing what it sounded like! So it's not just about what kind of music one listens to, but also how you listen to it.

Personally I would say that if you are a music lover, it is "worth spending money on expensive headphones". If you start saving money on that, you will miss out in the listening experience.

There are many things to consider when choosing headphones. What music equipment you are using; stereo or portable mp4-player? Where you are listening to it; quiet environment or in traffic? How practical do the headphones need to be; must you carry them around? What kind of frequency response you need, etc?

I guess it's time to start doing some research. People have already mentioned Sennheiser, which is a reliable brand. It's known for the "Sennheiser sound" which basically means its headphones emphasize low sounds. So if you like bass, Sennheiser will give that to you. Personally I own a pair of Sennheiser CX-550 in-ear heaphones. I chose between them and a pair of CX-500, the difference was very small, so I settled for CX-550. (Both of these models are already a little old, so i don't think they are manufactured any more.) Sennheiser's over-ear headphones are also great.

If you want to look at other good brands, here are a few: AKG, Audio Technica, Behringer, Beyerdynamics, Bose, Creative Labs, Cresyn, Denon, Fostex, Grado, JVC, Koss, Pioneer, Roland, Shure, Superlux (Avlex), The T-Bone, Ultrasone, Yamaha.

I happen to own a pair of over-ear AKG K-701. Great sound quality, but they have a few plastic parts on the surface that break easily. Also, they are a little lacking in the bass. Otherwise the sound quality is crystal clear. But they are not for outdoor use, they can only be used inside in a quiet environment.

P.S. You're right, stay away from the Dr Dre ones. They are overpriced crap that people buy only because of the name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taccado wrote: »
    As an audiophile, I'm happy that you're planning to upgrade your headphones. Once you go high-end, you won't look back. Listening to music with proper equipment is so much better than using regular equipment. I remember the first time I started using proper headphones, a whole new world opened up to me. I realized that my favourite music contained so many layers that I had never heard in my life! I had essentially wasted hours of my life listening to music, without actually knowing what it sounded like! So it's not just about what kind of music one listens to, but also how you listen to it.

Personally I would say that if you are a music lover, it is "worth spending money on expensive headphones". If you start saving money on that, you will miss out in the listening experience.

There are many things to consider when choosing headphones. What music equipment you are using; stereo or portable mp4-player? Where you are listening to it; quiet environment or in traffic? How practical do the headphones need to be; must you carry them around? What kind of frequency response you need, etc?

I guess it's time to start doing some research. People have already mentioned Sennheiser, which is a reliable brand. It's known for the "Sennheiser sound" which basically means its headphones emphasize low sounds. So if you like bass, Sennheiser will give that to you. Personally I own a pair of Sennheiser CX-550 in-ear heaphones. I chose between them and a pair of CX-500, the difference was very small, so I settled for CX-550. (Both of these models are already a little old, so i don't think they are manufactured any more.) Sennheiser's over-ear headphones are also great.

If you want to look at other good brands, here are a few: AKG, Audio Technica, Behringer, Beyerdynamics, Bose, Creative Labs, Cresyn, Denon, Fostex, Grado, JVC, Koss, Pioneer, Roland, Shure, Superlux (Avlex), The T-Bone, Ultrasone, Yamaha.

I happen to own a pair of over-ear AKG K-701. Great sound quality, but they have a few plastic parts on the surface that break easily. Also, they are a little lacking in the bass. Otherwise the sound quality is crystal clear. But they are not for outdoor use, they can only be used inside in a quiet environment.

P.S. You're right, stay away from the Dr Dre ones. They are overpriced crap that people buy only because of the name.

Wow, quite a post there. Say, what do you think of the Yuin PK's?
  • CronkerCronker Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Sennheiser.
    Please close thread.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sennheiser. Or Shure if you want to spend a bit more.

I have had Atomic Floyd in the past (not the ones above). Very good sound, and very good build quality, but found them a bit too heavy so didn't stay in the ears too well, but that might just have been me.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taccado: What's got me onto the subject is "nine inch nails" are releasing an album this week and they care a lot about the sound and use a lot of layers etc and I got thinking that my iPhone default in ear headphones may not be giving me the best experience, just as you described in your post. They're even releasing an 'audiophile" version (http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different).

I tried some headphones in HMV today and found different results. Some made the music I played from my iPhone seem too quiet even on full volume, some felt like there was a little too much bass. I think i'm so used to in-ear that I might consider getting a proper pair of those as the over ear ones gave such different results. Could you possibly suggest a current in ear Sennheiser product?

Source files for this particular album are MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WAV. Not sure which of those is the best, possibly FLAC? I'd be playing the music files either from my iPhone or from a Macbook Pro.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taccado: What's got me onto the subject is "nine inch nails" are releasing an album this week and they care a lot about the sound and use a lot of layers etc and I got thinking that my iPhone default in ear headphones may not be giving me the best experience, just as you described in your post. They're even releasing an 'audiophile" version (http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/59587808317/hesitation-marks-was-mastered-in-two-different).

I tried some headphones in HMV today and found different results. Some made the music I played from my iPhone seem too quiet even on full volume, some felt like there was a little too much bass. I think i'm so used to in-ear that I might consider getting a proper pair of those as the over ear ones gave such different results. Could you possibly suggest a current in ear Sennheiser product?

Source files for this particular album are MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WAV. Not sure which of those is the best, possibly FLAC? I'd be playing the music files either from my iPhone or from a Macbook Pro.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When you say in-ear do you mean IEM's/ear canals or just earphones like your Apple one's?

I suggest Sennheiser, they are the best brand for earphones, they offer a lot of qualities unlike competition.

If you want the best, they have just released the MX985. There's also the MX980's which is a few years old but same sound quality (the MX985's have a better jack and volume control). Then you have the MX880 which is a step down from the two above, this is a little more bassy (but for earphones it's not that bassy like IEM's or can's). Then below that is MX470, these are more affordable but obviously aren't as good sound quality. Basically, the higher the number, the better they are. I think the MX980/985's are the best earphones on the market today, you can really tell they are a cut above the rest, not just in sound quality but build quality too, the cable is made of material that is designed not to tangle and they are made of metal, not the typical plastic you see.

If you're looking for IEM's, then its the same as above, the higher the number, the better they are. However, instead of MX, it's CX (or OMX to clip round the ear), so the best is CX985/980.

I'm not a can (overhead) person but i've heard good things about their HD range.

I do have to say, with every earphone, you have to 'burn' them in. I.E. - you have to listen to them/have music playing for a good few hours to reach the optimum sound quality level. For the MX/CX980/985s, about 100 hours before they sound the best they can. So if you think they don't sound that special just out of the box, it's because they won't. Every headphone is like this, just warning you... :)

I'm afraid the standard Apple earphones are just appalling. But every standard earphone that comes with a phone is, I think its just so they can say they have included them.

I'm not so good on the source files so please, anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the best are WAV and FLAC, MP3 isn't that good for quality as it compresses the file size to save space so you lose quality. Never owned an Apple product so can't comment on that source file sorry.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Seconded, Sennheiser are a great brand for head/ear phones

I have had a pair of those in the past and yeas they were very good. I would like to try a pair of Dr Dre's ones, just to see what they are like?
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yeah this is what I don't want.. I hate headphones that don't feel good to wear. Just annoys me too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Think I might pop down to HMV and try some on and then do some price checking online.

Yeah. I can wear them for maybe an hour or so, but after a while they start feeling a bit heavy, etc, so I need to take a break. They are adjustable though, so it's not too bad, but if I have them too loose then the sound isn't isolated as much, so I have to compromise. But yeah, it's best to try them on if you can. Overall I'm happy with them.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't suppose anyone can recommend some decent sports headphones? Ones that are good for running
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    kutox, have a look at the new Q magazine (October 2013 issue). They have a review of sports earphones!