Watch out for "Openreach" cold calls!

mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a bit of a heads up..

Some guy asking whether we wanted to activate our free calls, I asked what company he was calling on behalf of and he said Openreach, I questioned whether he meant BT Openreach but nope just on behalf of BT and Openreach.

I said to him we're getting unlimited calls (with a discount) he then proceeded to ask what we were paying. This is when I realised he wasn't from BT or BT Openreach as I originally thought. From the looks of things they couldn't offer a better deal anyway.

After doing a but of searching online it seems we're not the only ones receiving this calls.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think the only time you would get a call from Openreach is if you have an appointment booked to install a line or a repair and they call you to say they are on the way.

Openreach maintain the infrastructure, things like call plans are nothing at all to do with them. So on that basis alone it should shout "scam" at anyone in the know.

Trouble is I suspect a lot of people have seen vans with BT Openreach painted on them and assume that BT Openreach is more or less the same as the BT they pay their phone bills to. So they are possibly more likely to think that a call from Openreach is legitimate.