Options

Scamming a food bank for the sake of a story

Comments

• Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys this system they set up to help people in crisis who cant afford food can be abused because of inadequate checks.

they believe we shouldnt help as many people as possible

they want everyone to think poor people spend their money on alcohol and drugs

they are attacking those who are trying to help

they begrudge vulnerable people getting food

they want people to suffer in poverty

it is systematic attempt to undermine the poor

http://i.imgur.com/udccxJq.jpg
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    What is?

The link to the 'joke' ending with Jesus is scum.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Rose Budd wrote: »

i laughed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the silver lining on this very dark cloud is that donations to the Trussell Trust have soared by over 500% since the Daily Mail's shameless article.

http://www.justgiving.com/crack-uk-hunger?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socsponmobile&utm_content=crack-uk-hunger&utm_campaign=post-sponsorship-donation-mobile

Maybe the next time a charity wants donations they should get the Mail to run an expose on them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    Well the silver lining on this very dark cloud is that donations to the Trussell Trust have soared by over 500% since the Daily Mail's shameless article.

http://www.justgiving.com/crack-uk-hunger?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socsponmobile&utm_content=crack-uk-hunger&utm_campaign=post-sponsorship-donation-mobile

Maybe the next time a charity wants donations they should get the Mail to run an expose on them. :D

even better, some people are citing the daily mail article as their motivation for giving.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even better, some people are citing the daily mail article as their motivation for giving.
    Indeed. Most people would probably be sympathetic with people that are so poorly off they are on the end of a string for 3 days of food.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Daily Mail are counter productive.
    I hope and pray that they will return to attacking "Ed Milibands Face" and "Ed Miliband's Father".

If only we could work out what is on their mind......
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to have missed the point entirely..
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Of course in any system that helps out 600,000 people (after taking into account repeat visits) it is impossible to check that every single case is 100% genuine but there is no credible evidence that the food bank system is being routinely abused. The fact that you can get a maximum of 3 lots of 3 days' food is hardly an incentive for widescale abuse. It is good to see the reaction to the Mail's latest attempt at gutter journalism.

To remind people of some credible research on this issue, the DEFRA commissioned food aid research report confirms that:
    There is growing demand for help to meet food needs, both from first-time food aid users and from those who had already been helped continuing to need food. The key drivers of this growing demand are described by providers as ‘crises’. Crises in household income, such as loss of a job or problems with social security benefits, are often underpinned by on-going problems of low income, rising food and other costs and increasing indebtedness.......We found no evidence to support the idea that increased food aid provision is driving demand. All available evidence both in the UK and international points in the opposite direction. Put simply, there is more need and informal food aid providers are trying to help....... Seeking food aid is usually a strategy of last resort.

This backs up what the CAB and others have said. I have said on numerous occasions that imo the reasons for the increase in need for food banks are varied. Sadly the people who use them have been used as political footballs by both coalition and opposition politicians and supporters. This needs to stop and then maybe we can start to do something to solve, or at least alleviate, what is a very serious issue starting with the over-zealous sanctions regime and the long delays that many face waiting for their benefits to be paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i would say what kind of rag scandalises a charity that is doing what it`s supposed to do and helping people in dire straits but it`s the daily mail so i already know.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Mail will probably try to take credit for the increased donations! Absolute scum bags (The Mail not the Trussell Trust obviously!)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that the Mail are the butt of that jokerrather than Jesus I hope.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    "No questions asked" apparently equals "our reporter was asked a series of questions".

This is pretty low, it has to be said. Scamming a food bank just to push the idea that people using them are scammers.

it is indeed a new low for the fail, am glad to see that since this attempt by the fail to defraud a food bank donations have increased
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    If only we could work out what is on their mind......
    I would suggest the Editor of the Daily Mail should end up on the wrong end of a select committee hearing as Murdoch did during the phone hacking scandal which led to Leveson, but I suspect that'll never happen because the Daily Mail is doing the Government's bidding in smearing welfare and charitable giving for the poor to make it easier to introduce such measures in a forthcoming election manifesto.

What we really need is the formation of a UK equivalent of a Blue Ribbon Committee, where the best, neutral minds in the media attempt to figure out what the Daily Mail is up to.

The fact that donations have increased significantly should restores anyone's faith in humanity and humble the Mail, Iain Duncan Smith and Esther McVey. At least the Daily Mail hasn't gone on a full-on rant defending its smearing of the Trussell Trust as they did with Ed Miliband's father.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

Yeah, I saw that. The Daily Mail works well, for once!! :)
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if the reporter scammed a cancer charity like this? I would hope those people leaving comments would change their mind about it being good thing to expose a charity for believing someone who lied.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Dacre loves to style himself as the voice of Middle England, but 'stories' like this, along with his attacks on Ralph Miliband last year, show that perhaps he's rather more out of touch than he thinks.
  • Options
    jonnyboy122jonnyboy122 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Paul Dacre loves to style himself as the voice of Middle England, but 'stories' like this, along with his attacks on Ralph Miliband last year, show that perhaps he's rather more out of touch than he thinks.

This was the Mail On Sunday - editor is Geordie Greig, who makes out that he is the nemesis of Paul Dacre - seem to be cut from very similar cloth. Mind you wouldn't be surprised if DM has story supporting Trussell Trust soon as that anything MoS say DM currently try to say opposite currently... very childish.
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt this is enough proof for Cameron that 99% of all food bank hand outs are fraudulent and there is not a crisis due to benefit cuts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell you what next I have a young girl crying she can't feed her baby,I tell her to bugger off till I've checked her kitchen cupboards. Do they really think 99.999% of people want to use food banks? because they don't they're mostly appalled they even have to ask.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was my motivation for making a donation earlier today.

Gratifying to see that the majority of the British public have channelled their disgust over this article into donating nearly £53K to the Trussell Trust - and £10K solely today.

Just keep In mind that there's only just over a year to go before we can completely turf out the Government that is ultimately at the heart of this whole matter.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »

that is great, anyone know where to get them
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the target audience for the daily mail is a lot different than i thought it was :o